“Valentine's Day Staycation”

Ranked #4 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Valentine's Day Staycation”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I decided to book a night at this new hip hotel for Valentine's Day. I got one of the "Valentine Day Romance: Do Not Disturb Package" I was very impressed with my room and the huge shower. The room is very big and comfortable. I did ask for a better view but they told me the hotel was booked-solid so I had to stay put. I loved the hotel hallways, staff and the complimentary breakfast downstairs (some of the best tea bags I have ever had)

The drinks were OK in the bar area and it was way to cold to sit outside by the pool but the atmosphere by the fire place in the bar was out of the world. I loved the room service (can you believe RA sushi delivers to the hotel?)

I really enjoyed myself at this hotel. Perhaps next time I will try to make it a true staycation and stay a couple of nights to take in some of the shops and wine lounges in CityCentre.

I will be back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Stayed at the Sorella for aprox 4 weeks over Feb /March.

Overall, very nice hotel, clean and all staff are courteous. The hotel is a tthe junction of I10 and Beltway 8, beside the Shearaton 4 Points Hotel. Its a new build in the new Town & County "Village" development, that has a number of bars and restraunts nearby. The majority of the village outlets have still to be rented, but the place is quite buzzing at weekends.

Bad points:
1. Difficult locating the hotel. The hotel has a roadsign on the Freeway sliproad, but when you enter block where the hotel is, there is nothing to tell you which building it is. The hotel building has a large sign in the window saying "Alex Bistro"? The hotel reception is on the second floor of the building.
When walking nearby the hotel, I have been asked by many people where the hotel is when they are practically outside the building.
2. The lift has an annoying beep that sounds at every floor it passes. As I was on the 8th floor, it gets annoying.
3. The swimming pool advertised doesn't isn't really more than an outdoor paddling pool. Its also next to a bar and restaurant, so not very secluded.
4. The lighting in the room is wierd, as its quite dim, and doesn't have a central point beside the bed to turn room lights off. You have to get up and switch lights off..........probably a minor moan, but after 4 weeks, its gets to you.
5. There is a gym, but its basically been stuck into a converted room in level 3. There are only 5 machines and weights. There is a proper gym across the way from the hotel that has all the facilities including a pool, but costs $10/ day entry.

Good Points:
1. Very new hotel, with quite funky touches to it. The decor is pleasant, and quite different from the mainstream hotels. Breakfast is a simple continental buffet in a funky lounge area that has a balcony overlooking the pedestrian area below. Quite pleasant in sunny mornings.
2. All staff are pleasant and courteous. Nothing was a problem to any (little) requests I made.
3. Very clean with large room (by European standard) and comfy crisp bed linen. Shower was pretty good with powerful jet.
4. Free WiFi, but some of the locations had low signal strength. Quite slow to log into, but once logged in, reasonable accessability.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank beck_hoose
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I live in Houston and I chose Sorella for a 1 night stay. As it was my first time staying at this hotel, I must say that I was very impressed with the facilities and the staff offered outstanding customer service. I chose Sorella over Hotel ZaZa to celebrate a special occasion that included an overnight stay and drinks at the on site Monalisa Bar.

I regret to say that I wish I would have chosen Hotel ZaZa based on my disappointing experience at Hotel Sorella. I checked in about 3pm...took a walk around the hotel and the City Centre complex after which I decided to take a nap before going to the Monalisa Bar. After an hour nap, I awoke to find out that the water in the hotel was not working. Not a big deal, surely this lack of water was a minor issue that would be fixed shortly. After about 30 minutes I call Guest Services to find out what the hold up was, as I needed to prepare for my night. I was informed that the water would be back on in about 20 minutes....I waited; but still no water after 20 minutes. By this point I am a bit upset with the entire situation.

In order to try and salvage my night, I purchased a few bottles of water in order to freshen up and head over to the Monalisa. I attempt to go into the Monalisa, but was stopped by security and told that the bar is closed due to the water being shut off. Needless to say I was very upset by this point. I am in a boutique hotel which is practically brand new and I don't have the ability to shower and flush the toilet in the room that I am paying for. Secondly no one has informed the guests that this water situation is permanent at least for a large portion of the night, but early in the day I find a typewritten memo on my door informing me of daylight savings time. I would think that lack of water would be a bit more important than a daylight savings time memo.

The entire situation was a huge disappointment especially for a hotel operated by the Valencia Group. I have stayed in many hotels across the United States including other Valencia properties and this was by far my worst experience. Not being able to bathe and use the toilet in a hotel is unacceptable on all levels imaginable. No dining options were available so I had to make a quick jaunt to McDonalds in order get food. Had the hotel guests been promptly notified when the water went out, arrangements for dinner could have been made early in the evening. Yes, the water did come back on that night, but brown dank water isn't fit to use for any purpose. (see the photos I have attached)

I am a reasonable person and I understand that things happen but my major complaint is with how the situation was handled by management. First of all, the guests were not informed of this snafu. Secondly, no one had correct information at the front desk; I was told at one point that the water was back on-this was at about 8pm...went back to the room and still no water. Guests weren't offered any options or alternatives: such as compensation or even an option as to where they could use the toilet, seeing that the toilets in the bathrooms couldn't be flushed. Its almost as if we were in a take it or leave it situation.

My experience at Hotel Sorella was awful. Yes, the hotel is beautiful and well kept...it has wonderful amenities and a courteous staff, but due to the situation I did not get to utilize any of the amenities...I basically paid to sleep in the bed provided in the room. Sunday morning 3/14/10, I brushed my teeth using bottled water and checked out of Sorella with a very bad impression. I cant say that I can recommend Sorella to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Driver8843, General Manager at Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Dear uniquesoul,

We greatly appreciate your kind words about the property and staff.

While we can't change the experience you had, I hope I was able to regain your confidence in us for future visits after my call and correspondence with you and subsequent reversal of charges.

We can't apologize enough for the issue with the water, which was an unplanned occurrence necessitated by construction work on an adjacent business. The water was turned off for
a total of two hours, and it took an additional two hours to build
pressure up to its normal levels.

A majority of our guests were off property at the time of the incident, so impact was minimal, and we were able to provide alternative options for dining within the CITYCENTRE district and locker facilities at the adjacent fitness center for those that needed them.

We are currently investigating why you did not receive the initial alert outlining the water issue and support with subsequent measures we had taken to provide guests necessary services during the shutoff.

Ryan Gullion
PA, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2010

This is my first time to stay in this hotel and I must say that it is probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in; especially for the price. It is located in a very nice area of Houston. It is located right in the middle of The City Centre plaza and there are plenty of great restaurants and bars, all within steps of the hotel. The hotel staff were all very cordial. The room decor is very contemporary, which I liked. Flat screen TV with HD channels. Stocked mini bar. The room was extremely clean. The bed was very comfortable and plush. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I stayed in a Deluxe suite, so I don't know if all the rooms have the same niceties. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank zemogTX
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I decided to do a "staycation" for Valetine's day and stay at Sorella. Of course everyone has something bad to say so I will get that out of the way. I booked the Vino package, which included room, 3 course dinner, two drinks in the bar, and cake and champagne in your room, a 40 dollar room credit (which I didn’t use) and valet parking. My ONLY complaint was I booked this package in January; no one ever contacted me to let me know I would need to make dinner reservations at Bistro Alex with this package. I would think since I booked the package with dinner someone would either contact me about the reservations or make the reservation for me. I had to call a few times the day before to ensure my reservations for dinner were solid, but the staff made it happen and got me into Bistro Alex on one of the busiest nights of the year. Other than that everything was Flawless, the staff was GREAT, the dinner was amazing, the ambiance at Monnalisa Bar was fantastic. In the morning we went down to the 2nd Floor to enjoy the complementary breakfast which was just super. If you need to make someone special in your life smile this is a great way to do it, my wife was smiling ear to ear!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RelaxingTraveler95
UK
Reviewed February 4, 2010

European style boutique hotel in Houston, not really my cup of tea or any of the people I was travelling with. Restaurant was very good limited food but definatley a european influence there which means something better than the average hotel. The whole setting seemed a bit pretentious as the city center development is only about 30% open and this is definatley aimed at the cash rich Houston social life.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2010

The hotel was extremely clean and modern, with great surroundings (Studio Movie Grill, Eddie V's, Bistro Alex, Mona Lissa Bar). However, there seems to be an issue with the front desk receptionist. All of them seem to be confused on how to handle reservations made online. It took forever for us to get into our rooms, and they didn't even offer us to sit down or have our luggage stowed. Also, they kept forgetting what was included in our package deal such as the Cocktails and free Valet parking. They need some experienced staff with quicker and positive attitudes. Otherwise, the hotel was immaculate and was a pleasure to stay at.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple