New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Excellent business hotel, the best staff team I have ever encountered” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Houston Energy Corridor

Hilton Garden Inn Houston Energy Corridor
Ranked #36 of 489 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, UK
“Excellent business hotel, the best staff team I have ever encountered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I have spent much of the last 3 months at the Hilton Garden Inn. It is well laid out, clean and quiet, and as a business traveller it has more than I would normally expect. But without doubt the staff shine, their close knit teamwork results in the highest levels of service to their guests.

Rooms - I have stayed in the normal rooms and the suites. Both types are spacious, clean and comfortable and have all the amenities I require. The suites are divided into two areas (sleeping & lounge) separated by the bathroom. They have two flat screen TVs, settee, armchair, coffee table, work desk, free internet (wifi & wire), table lamp, ergonomic chair (very few hotels have these and it really helps when you're working). There is also a microwave, coffee machine, fridge, iron and ironing board. The beds have a facility to change the softness levels of the mattress and a duvet. The bathrooms are spacious with a full size mirror, good water pressure, and plenty of towels.

You can request a room exercise kit if you don't want to go to the gym, and an exercise video. A great idea (I keep promising myself that I'll get around to asking for one... one day!). The swimming pool is out the front of the hotel, it is a good size and has a jacuzzi. It overlooks the carpark, but you're not in a resort so it does very nicely for what it is. It is clean, well maintained and there are plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas.

The hotel is set back from the freeway but very little noise can be heard. Mostly guests are individual business travellers and many are regulars or here on longer stays so it's relatively quiet .

Breakfast is a buffet with a really good choice and excellent value for money. 3 or 4 types of milk (including Soya) to put on your choice of a dozen different cereals, half a dozen different fruits (always a large bowl of strawberries), a good selection of yoghurts, oatmeal, pastries, bagels (6 varieties), croissants, plus a cooked breakfast buffet with bacon, eggs, hash browns, omlettes, waffles etc. Free newspapers at breakfast.

Room Service - good choice, good quality and good value for money.

Lounge in Reception - nicely laid out, feels homely even though you're just off the lobby. Comfortable to sit and work if you're here on weekends. Plus there is complimentary tea/coffee available all day.

There is a small shop selling all those things that you might have forgot or, if you're on a longer stay, run out of such as hairspray, toothpaste etc. Also has wine, salads, microwave meals if you want to cook your own, cold drinks, etc.

Hotel bus - a real plus. The hotel run a free shuttle bus service to anywhere within a 5 mile radius. They take bookings for office runs in the morning when it is busiest so saves messing with hire cars and taxis. To come back to the hotel at the end of the day you either book a time in advance or just ring up when you're ready to be collected. It's like having a personal chauffeur. They will drop / collect you at restaurants, shops (Memorial Mall), wherever within the radius.

Staff - you can stay in the best hotel in the world but if the staff are haphazard or surly then your stay is marred or even ruined. I've travelled all over the world and in an average year, spend 150-180 nights in hotels. I can honestly say that this hotel has one of the best staff teams I've ever encountered. I won't name them all because I'm bound to miss someone, but when you have Nancy or La-La starting to worry about whether you've returned to the hotel at your regular time, or when the breakfast team give you a hug, then you know that the team really do care. They all take a great pride in their work, in looking after their guests, and they really do work as a team. Hilton - take note, your other properties could learn a thing or two from this team.

Downsides - of course there are some:
- Air conditioning units can be a bit noisy and draughty. They are next to the bed, but if they were at the other end of the room it would be better.
- Makeup mirror - would be good to have a magnifying mirror, but it's not a big deal.
- Room safe - plenty of space to put one, so would be good to have.
- In-room coffee facilities are good for coffee - but not good for tea. Tea needs boiling water and it shouldn't be put through a coffee machine because it taints the taste (you can tell I'm from the UK). An in-room kettle would be great. And I'm sure if I had ever bothered to ask for one, it would have been immediately forthcoming.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Freezeone1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Energy Corridor, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Dear SKA_York_UK
Your detailed and thoughtful reflection of your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Energy Corridor is very refreshing indeed. Your description of the facilities and the levels of service were detailed and gracious. And the suggestion for in-toom tea service was a clever suggestion and one we will work on for your return visit. Thanks for your patronage.

Regards,

Kenenth Friesen CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

If you travel for business, especially if you stay for multiple days, this hotel has really thought of everything for the business traveler. The rooms are comfortable and set up well for working. They provide both wireless and ethernet internet connections for FREE! The business center has everything you need for printing, copying, faxing, etc. Again at no charge. The "print from room" feature is the greatest! I don't have to bother people at the office to print stuff for me. The workout facilities are top notch. New equipment in good working order. Balls and weights. LOVE the pool. It's outdoors and is 5 ft deep. Heated in the winter. All the staff I've encountered at the desk, at the bar/restaurant are attentive and accomodating. Nice breakfast. Dinner fare is reasonable in price and well prepared. Nice touches....cookies at the front desk daily and apples in the workout room. Yeah it's a bit tricky to find when you come in from the Beltway and I-10, but once you figure out that you need to go to Dairy Ashford and make a u turn, it's a breeze. Otherwise very well located access to restaurants and major highways.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

It's a little hard to find because the signeage is low and hidden by tree brances as you approach the driveway. Also,the Hertz Neverlost directed me to the next street which did not have access to the hotel.

The rooms are spotless, the exercise room has new, first rate equipment, the internet works. I only had a slight problem with the movies which the front desk worked diligently at fixing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
marciaburt, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Energy Corridor, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Dear Peripatetic_Engineer,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I know many people read reviews and take cues from guests like you.
We are sorry about the difficulty you had with finding our location via Hertz Neverlost. Your specific comment regarding the tree branches will definitely help us to work with the property owner to trim the low lying branches. Please call me directly for your next reservation so that I can block our "best room in the house" for you!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week whilst visiting relatives who live in Houston, I booked online via the website,

We arrived fairly late in the evening, and very tired after a day’s travelling from the UK. We had a suite and my mother-in-law had a room, on the same floor. Our room was lovely. Extremely clean and comfortable with a separate sitting area with a closeable door between the bedroom and sitting room. Big bathroom with separate shower and bath. We appreciated the coffee/tea making facilities and the microwave and fridge. The sitting room also had a flat screen tv and a desk plus sofa and chair.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable with high quality linens and, despite the jetlag, slept really well, there is no noise at all from the road outside and we heard no noise from other guests, it was very quiet. I agree the ac units can be noisy, but they didn't bother us.

We really enjoyed the breakfast, well-presented, fresh pastries, fruit, yoghurts, cereals, waffles, pancakes and eggs cooked to order. Service was friendly and efficient.

I always like to take my own teabags on holiday and every morning I took them wrapped in some tissue to have during breakfast. One morning I realised that I had left them on the table from the breakfast the day before, and thought that my package of teabags would have been collected up when the table was cleaned and probably thrown away! However, when the waitress saw us she proceeded to give us back my teabags that she’d found on the table and had saved for us! I was so grateful, especially as I’d run out!

We had a really nice meal in an Italian restaurant just along from the hotel (I forget the name, but it is mentioned in the hotel’s room guide). We found the hotel very conveniently located for the freeways and shopping malls etc.

I used the pool area several times during our stay and found the whole area to be very clean and well maintained with plenty of pool towels and sunbeds available.

There are 2 items that we wish were in the rooms – a bathroom vanity mirror (my husband found it difficult to shave just using the main big mirror, and a room safe (we used the safety deposit boxes at reception, but would prefer an in-room safe).

Overall, we really loved this hotel, enjoyed our stay in Houston and wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again, should we be visiting the city in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
marciaburt, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Energy Corridor, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
Dear holly327,
Our staff was so pleased to read your comments! To know that our actions have made a difference in the manner that you described is what we strive for every day. Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel, and we eagerly await your return!

Anaheim, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed here because this hotel was the 5th best hotel in the city. All I would say is if this is truly the 5th best, I wouldn't want to stay at any worse hotel than this one. Honestly, for the price, it was fine. We got this hotel for real cheap on a Saturday night. The staff was very nice and the hotel was fine. Nothing spectacular about it to earn a Top 5 rating. I always rely on tripadvisor to tell me where I can stay in the nicest hotel for the best buck. This time I was let down. The rooms were average, the amenities were common and the location was fine. Nothing too nice to comment about. If you want to save some money...yeah, stay here. But don't expect any bells or whistles.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dannykessel
Dear dannykessel,
Thank you for completing a review on our hotel.
We appreciate your time and candid feedback on your recent stay and we look forward to having you back again as our guest!
Marcia Burt
Caracas, Venezuela
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Nice place.staff friendly but pool is nasty,has a debris and some animals inside.i wait for 4 hrs somebody to clean, but just i saw some maintenance guy check the water and walk around the pool and left.(happend day of the week.Friday) Guyyyyyy is SUMERRRR and kids like Pool.pay attention. Thank you angelica for you help.Nice Lady in front desk.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Venezuelabest
Dear Venezuelabest,
thank you for submitting a review on our hotel. Your comments are very important to us and help us to constantly improve upon our service. I sent an email directly to you so that I can learn more about the issue you experienced, and I hope that you'll choose to stay with us again on a future trip to West Houston.

White Rock, BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Warning you can easily miss the turn off for this hotel due to poor signage. All the overpasses in the area can easily interfere with your GPS signal.

When coming off the highway via Dairy Ashford, onto the Old Katy Freeway, we would recommend you look for the Holiday Inn Express sign as the Hilton Garden Inn sign sits low to the ground, is unlit and blocked by trees. You will be turning into this hotel as soon as you pass the Holiday Inn Express sign and a steak house. If you go past the Hummer sign and drive by a car dealership you have missed the entrance to this hotel.

Overall this hotel is very good. It is clean, quiet and safe. The beds are comfortable, but on the firmer side. As others have mentioned in their reviews, the air conditioning units are noisy especially if you are a lighter sleeper.

The breakfast buffet for $9.99 is tasty; they serve the same items daily. This may get kind of boring if you are staying here for a week or more. Other Hilton properties we have stayed at offer similar breakfast items, but vary their menu items daily. Like ham slices one day, bacon the next, sweet potato waffles one day, blueberry the next, scrambled eggs one day, then eggs benedict the next, etc., etc.

Front desk service was excellent, very helpful. If you require anything for your room it is best to contact the front desk directly, as most of the maids do not understand English very well. This includes trying to tell them something in person or writing a note. It certainly would be nice if the maids could make the effort to get notes translated and/or get someone who understands English better, if they don't understand what you are asking them for.

The cleanliness inside the hotel is very good, but the swimming pool was a bit of a disappointment in the cleanliness department in comparison to the rest of the hotel as it had dirt, debris and dead insects floating in it. We mentioned it to the front desk staff two days in a row and finally it was cleaned.

In our room we could see that one pillow had some small blood stains on it. Not on the pillow case on the pillow directly. We put the pillow in the closet and forgot to mention it, because there was plenty of other pillows on the bed.

With minor improvements this hotel could be awesome.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
marciaburt, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Houston Energy Corridor, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Dear travels_frequently,
Thank you for submitting a review on our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to record so many details on your survey, because these suggestions and compliments are of great value to us. I sent an email directly to you so that I can learn more about the issue you experienced, and I hope that you'll choose to stay with us again on a future trip to West Houston. We appreciate your business!
Kindest regards,