“Good start,bad end”

Athens Hotel Suites
Ranked #307 of 504 Hotels in Houston
“Good start,bad end”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I spent a lot of time before leaving to Houston searching for a good hotel. I was looking for something which was close to shops and restaurants and not so expensive. When I found Athens Hotel Suites , I thought it was my lucky day!
Of course, I knew that for that price I couldn’t expect something luxurious, but the impact was different than the expected. The smell at the entrance make you immediately feel that the place is old and does need a “refresh” everywhere. Furniture are old and damaged; the windows have perhaps never been cleaned and the pots I found in the kitchen were very old and rusty. I cannot used them and after several attempts to get new ones, I bought them. The owner was very generous and gave me one of his, but it was still not new..
The cleaning of the room was just happening by chance, from time to time. I was generally cleaning the room by myself. Often, the trash baskets were almost never empty and never cleaned. Sometimes the room was not cleaned (towel not changed) for 2 or even three days. It happened almost three times.
Cold water is not coming down neither from the kitchen nor from the bathroom. Be sure that brushing teeth or washing face at early morning with hot (not even warm) water is not pleasant. Once, I got completely burnt because the water was simply boiling! I complained more than one time, nothing happened.
Hangers were completely useless and the iron and the table too. I wonder why they are not thinking of buying new stuff … with few dollars, going to Ikea or any other place, you can fibe have clothes hangers for less than 5 dollars!
The kitchen sink was always broken, water was not going down ,,, I was begging them to come and solve as I was using the kitchen a lot and there was always a bad smell because of the stagnant water. They try to fix it more than one time, at the end one of the staff members told me that they never had problem in that room!!
The “gym” is a 4.3 square meters room, with one cyclette more or less working and a broken tapis roulant.
Oh… there is a patio, but it is full of work tools and never clean.
Breakfast is poor and served at the entrance. There is only one small plastic table and a couple of chairs. However, you can take it to your room.
Parking Is not available for free and that is one of the reason (the owner said) for keeping the prices low. Actually , for 80 dollars a night, you can have something more. I am still waiting to get an answer for the tax reimbursement ….
As a positive aspect, I have to say that it is really close to shops, good supermarket, banks and to the theatre district. Staff is not bad, they try to be as kind as they can, but, perhaps, the sacrifice of staying there is too high, above all if you have to stay one and half month ! If they want an advice I tell them: try to renovate a little bit and be more efficient. It does not cost and your customers will feel better. It is a pity: I have to go back to Houston and would love to stay in same area, but Athens Hotel will not see me again. Perhaps , they will be happy too!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Donaa42
rainbow23, Front Office Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
First of all I'm sorry your stay didn't meet your expectations but frankly your review is unfair. You claim that room service was hit and miss but most of the misses was attributed to the fact you didn't want to be disturbed. When that occurs, housekeeping is instructed to do just that. We always tried to service when you were out but we did make a few mistakes in that area and for that I am truly sorry.

Your claim about the sink being clogged was due to you dumping coffee grounds down the drain, yet every time you informed us, we sent someone to fix it.

The hot water claim comes down to the constant changing weather we've had in Houston this year. One day would be cold and the next day hot. We have to constantly adjust the water temperature depending on the outside temperature and sometimes we adjust for cold weather and it suddenly warms and vice - versa. We do the best to anticipate but it's not an exact science.

The workout room is small mainly because the hotel is small. There is a treadmill , elliptical, and bike in the workout room. The treadmill was broken and we had been trying to get it serviced but we were put on a waiting list due to service demands. Apparently November-March is the busy season for exercise repairs and service due to people doing yearly maintenance on their equipment.

The patio is power washed at least 2 times a week and trash is picked up everyday. Usually tools are only on the roof when maintenance is there to repair something.

Parking is not available for free anywhere in Downtown including every hotel in Downtown. When you stayed here we hadn't even started offering paid parking. We did not start that until February, more than 1/2 month after you left.

Now on to what I believe is the root of your displeasure, the room tax refund. The State of Texas has regulations pertaining to the waiving of taxes which we have no control over. The regulations are clear and not subject to change. You didn't follow the protocol and then blamed us for it. It's as simple as that.

Finally, we constantly renovate the hotel based on immediate needs. We just upgraded the security system to better secure our property and in the process of upgrading much of our amenities in the rooms. That said, Rome wasn't built in one day and sometimes it takes time to implement things. This is frustrating to us as well as guests but we do the best we can to overcome.

Bottom line is we offer clean quiet rooms close to everything Downtown at a fraction of the cost of the chain Hotels in Downtown and while we're not perfect, we do our best to ensure that every guest's stay is as pleasant as possible.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Made reservations for 2 rooms and then cancelled them after we stopped by the hotel 1 month before our trip just to check it out due to other bad reviews - the prostitute in lobby asked if I was her date for the night - UM NO! We cancelled our rooms well in advance and got charged for 1 room the day we cancelled it which was refunded and now we have been charged again for both rooms due to "no shows" for rooms that were CANCELLED! Very unprofessional and unethical and disguisting place that rents rooms by the hour when their tenants are walking the streets.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank thelamars
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hello and thank you for the review. I'm sorry we didn't live up to your standards but to accuse us of being crooks is misleading. Yes there was a discrepancy, and a mistake on our end with the billing but we did take care of it immediately and everything has been rectified to that end. The bottom line is we're not perfect and unfortunately sometimes honest mistakes are made and in this situation it was a combination of human and computer error that lead to the billing problem. Rest assured, we have made steps to ensure that won't be a problem again. I don't know your definition of ethics but it seems to me we did everything to make things right in this unfortunate situation.

Now to your second claim of prostitution in our hotel. We do not cater to prostitutes nor do we allow them to operate out of the hotel much less in our lobby. If we find a guest that is engaging in that type of behavior, we will not allow them to stay in our hotel. We have made improvements in the last month with the addition of security cameras to keep an eye on every part of the property so we can enforce that better. The bottom line is we want all of our guests to feel safe and secure while staying here and we will stop at nothing to ensure that.

As always I am here to listen to your comments, so feel free to contact me personally with any concerns.

I hope that answers your concerns and again I sincerely apologize for the error.

Regards,
713-739-1960
bill@athenshotelsuites.com

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I came to Houston to see some old friends I hadn't seen in years and after researching hotels, decided to stay here based on proximity to downtown attractions and the rates. First of all the building is an older building, possibly 40's or 50's but the interior looks completely new and well kept. The room was spacious and the full size refrigerator and stove was a nice touch. The hotel met all of my needs for a fraction of what it would have cost me staying at any other downtown hotel. I also found the small staff very friendly and helpful. I will be staying here again and recommending it to my friends visiting Houston.

George Darsey
Manchester UK

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside of the hotel for a little less traffic and more privacy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank George D
Hi sir thank you for the great review. We very happy to hear we made your stay here comfortable and look forward to seeing you again soon. Go Manchester!

Best Regards,

713-739-1960
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here and the staff was great. They are so nice and they helped me with everything that I needed. I asked for a map of the city and where some good food places where. The gave me a good choice and went there. I stayed here because I did not want to drive home drunk. Thanks for everything that you have done.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the nice remarks. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that we attended to your needs. Next time you need a place to "sleep it off", please keep us in mind. We'll go out of our way to make it a great stay.

Cheers,

Pyongyang, North Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

An unusual hotel, that's what should best describe this hotel. The lady
that worked the front desk and did prepare the breakfast was very courteous and I had some fun talking to her. The room is clean and well-lit, wi-fi worked fine. Breakfast is simple but ok, just note the service time
varies a bit. Be sure you have the card when going out as you will need it to come back in. It is close to Toyota Center, neighborhood is ok.
And maybe it's only on weekends or it was on that particular weekend I have spent there, but there's a lounge/club that is very loud, although my room was in a far away corner (my colleagues weren't that lucky).
The sink in the bathroom was broken and had a hole on it. I took a photo as evidence and told the front desk, and they promptly acknowledged that it was caused by a previosu guest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi and Thanks for the review. Unusual is a good description for us but in a good way. We're not like the big chain hotels with people wandering the halls at night making noise or bothering guests with loud noise. Here you get a nice quiet family owned hotel that puts service and hospitality over everything else. I'm sorry about the sink as it should have never been an issue and I will address the housekeeping staff about recording things like that on their housekeeping reports. Also, the club you mentioned is no longer open as we felt it created an atmosphere that was not beneficial to our hotel. If it ever opens again, we will take the necessary steps to better sound proof the building so this will never be an issue again.

Again thanks for you honest comments. We are always changing the way to do things to better accommodate our guests and these reviews give us the opportunity to see where we do things right and where we need to improve. If you ever have concerns or questions, my door is always open.

Thanks again for your business!

Regards,

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

On December 9, 2013, I checked into the Athens hotel (booked online). Prior to arriving at the hotel, I had discussion with my family about the mixed reviews on this board and was somewhat concerned with many of them. In hindsight, I thought, maybe my experience will be better, however, would discover the poor reviews were with merit. As I entered the hotel, I was a bit concerned because the lobby was small, dark, and not very appealing. My son immediately started frowning and whispered in my ear, mom this place looks horrible. We were accustomed to four and five star hotels, clean in appearance and on a much larger scale, and certainly not a hotel with a Mayberry RFD appeal. I decided to rough it out for the two nights and convinced my son to overlook the lobby. Our plans were to be there for 'only' two nights for the "Beyonce Concert," which was at the Toyota Center. Moreover, the location of the hotel was the reason I chose the place. My significant other was still seated in the car, (he has a herniated disk) and my first objective was to get him in the room without incident. After speaking with the desk attendant (consierge in this regard does not apply, I informed the attendant that my friend was seated in the car and asked for a wheelchair. Although he could walk, we use a wheelchair on occasion to take the pressure off of his disk. I was informed that they did not have a wheelchair. I asked for a luggage cart to assist with the luggage. I was informed that they did not have carts, and neither did they have elevators. I was shocked and wondered about how they were able to meet ADA complicance laws (perhaps they were grandfathered in). The attendant stated that their hotel was built on the Athens style, and therefore, not equipped with elevators. Athens style (sure because the initial name was Rainbow Inn I would discover after researching hotel upon arrival). Frankly, his response didn't matter, because the health of my friend was of concern, particularly when inspecting the steep stairs. I asked for a refund and informed that I could not receive a refund because I should have cancelled on December 6, 2013. and after speaking with the man behind the counter about my reservation being already paid for. I was livid, and remember my son stating, no carts and no elevators, what kind of place is this. I walk out of the door to speak with my friend about the events unfolding and how I had booked a hotel from hell. My friend, the calm soul he is suggested I pull the car up front and help him into the lobby since no wheelchairs were available. He said he was tired and we may have trouble booking elsewhere and to make the best of it for the two nights. Once he was seated, my son and I carried the luggage up the stairs. I was beyond angry! The room was small, and as I carried the second set of luggage upstairs, a younger male was informing an older man, that he should not be entering the room I was in because a young man was in the room. Despite being told this he walks into the room with my son, I walk faster toward the room wondering why this man is going into the room, unanounced while my son in in there. I walk in and ask him what he is doing. He states he is the owner and maintenance man and was putting a flap on the toilet. His energy was odd, and he gave me strange looks. I diid not feel comfortable with his entering the room. This work should have been done prior to check-in because our arrival time was 3:00pm CST, and we arrived at approximately 5:15pm, enought time for his so-called maintenance. After taking the luggage upstairs, I assisted my friend up the steep stairs. Unfortunately, half way up his legs lock and his back goes out. I ask for a chair, for him to sit it at the first flight of stairs. My friend rest for a few minutes and stand up to walk, his back gives way and he falls. The owner immediately starts to talk about not wanting to be sued, my mind is not on sueing anyone but helping my friend get off the floor. The owner speaks about being sued again, lamenting over a man who fell, stated he would not sue and took him to court anyway. I had to hear about women suing him for things, and how evil people were. I had concerns about this man's behavior toward us because of the current situation. After finally entering the room, I wanted only a hot shower, no hot water! I ran water for 10 minutes, rang the so-called front desk no answer. The son and I had to take cold showers. The deadbolt on the door did not work, hence, I placed a chair under the door handle because I did not feel comfortable. The so-called continental breakfast was not appealing, and I would not eat it, we ordered in. I have more to tell but not enough time. This place I would not recommend for anyone. A lesson learned, go with initial instincts, do more due diligence in researcing the hotel, and not soley rely on one or two reviews, and book only at hotels I am familiar with despite convenience or location. There was something creepy about the owner and my son and I heard him and the attendant in numerous arguments about who was working what shift and the owner speaking about not trusting anyone, not even his workers. This was an experience I choose not to repeat. Enter this hotel at your own risk!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Millenbooks
Hi Millenbooks,

I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy our hotel. We are a small hotel compared to the big chains and where we might lack in amenities, we feel we more than make up in service. We are not ADA compliant and that is stated on our website. Our hotel is styled after a boutique European hotel which many do not have elevators and as we only have 2 floors in the hotel, we feel that the inconvenience is minimal compared to the value. I'm also sorry about the trouble your friend had navigating the stairs. Our staff should have been more accommodating and rest assured I will personally be reviewing what we can do to ensure nothing happens like that again. We need to do a better job being sensitive to the needs of people with disabilities and we will do just that.

One final thing I want to point out is that while we may not have all the amenities of the big chain hotels, we offer a clean, quiet hotel with nice clean rooms, satellite tv, kitchenettes, wifi, and a staff that will stop at nothing to ensure your stay is memorable all at a price that is a fraction of the other downtown hotels. I don't know about you, but the trade off seems fair to me.

As always I am here to listen to any concerns or comments

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have been in 6 hotels in Downtown Houston, Tx. Its my second time right here in Athens Hotel and Suites, Really I like, the service staff is excellent, specialy the service from my friend John, Its not a big hotel, but has everything the necesary and very very confortable beds, very clean, free Wi-fi, A/C, laundry and Ice to drink's 24 hrs ,light breakfast (coffee, milk, orange juice, fresh fruits, etc), a small gym, surveillance interior and something important to rest all time its silence inside.

I think if I come back again to Houston, I'll booking the Athens hotel and suites

Best regards to John by the service excellent!!!

Room Tip: Front rooms Excellent view to clay St
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business