“Dirty”

Athens Hotel Suites
Ranked #313 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I chose this hotel because it was central and naively I thought I could reach everything more easily. This is not the case in Houston where you need a car.
If you have any problem for walking, you must consider that there is no lift in the hotel. A help is however provided to bring the suitcase in your room at the arrival and departure.
I booked a normal room which was of normal size but the bathroom was tiny and there was not space around the sink where to put the usual toiletry. There was a cabinet under the sink which was not really clean.
When I decided to lock manually the door I discovered that the locker was not working. This means that anybody with a master electronic card can enter in the room. I told the reception and they sent me immediatly somebody to fix it. After few fruitless attempts they granted without problems to transfer me in another room which was actually bigger.
The bathroom: it was definitly bigger and there was space around the sink for toiletry. But it was so dirty ! The floor was covered by hairs (human, animal ?), the worn carpet also. I tried not to look too close at the worn towels and at the eventual stains.
The bed was not bad. The curtains of the bedroom are so thin that the light enter the room when you are sleeping.
The kitchen was fine too and equipped. The sponge to clean the dishes was provided but dirty. The table was laid but there was dust on it and on the plates.
While having breakfat in my room and after having cleaned bowls and cutlery, I saw something on the floor. It was actually a cockroach that hide under the TV unit. I understood then what I saw moving quickly and hidding under my bed earlier.
The staff was helpful.
In conclusion I would not recommend this hotel if you want to treat yourself ! And frankly speaking I cannot even say it was cheap.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Delp26
rainbow23, Front Office Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

The guest never complained of anything during her 4 day stay except on check-in to the room she chose to book found the dead-bolt was not functioning on her standard room @$109. We moved her to an executive room. If a problem should occur, we move quickly to resolve it; we want our guests to be happy and pleased with their stay in every respect. Athens Hotel Suite's staff works hard continuoulsy to keep the hotel clean and bug-free by regular
exterminations.We evidenced no walking problem by this relatively young traveler. The Convention, shopping, dining, clubbing,light-rail, and buses are 2-4 blocks away.Taxi cabs are available for $6 in downtown.

There are newer reviews for Athens Hotel Suites

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I've read mixed reviews about this hotel, negative being mostly about the reservation process. I thought making reservations 7 months in advance will be good enough to avoid any problems. After numerous phone calls and emails back and forth (yes, online system didn't work), I had my reservations. I called the hotel again to confirm and was assured that I'm all set. Three months later (3!!!) I received an email: "sorry, due to a computer problem we have overbooked and you don't have a reservation anymore" That's it. I can understand a computer problem and occasional overbooking issues, but I can't understand why it took them 3 months to communicate this. So, fellow traveler, I'm sure your stay will be decent enough, if you are lucky to get to the hotel and have your reserved room waiting for you. I would not risk it. It's cheap, but peace of mind worth something too and you won't have it if you deal with Athens Hotel and Suites. I wish I could hear from the hotel management: I sent them an email asking to help with making alternative reservations (which they suggested in their cancellation email), but they never acknowledged it.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Taty
rainbow23, Front Office Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience and reportedly monetary loss from the problems with this booking. We have offerred her complimentary two free nights at our hotel. Again we apologize.
Management

Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed at the Athens Hotel recently when my wife was there for the Sweet Adelines Competition. The hotel was close to the Toyota Centre were the competition was taking place. We found our suite to be clean and confortable, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Price of suite included breakfast. There was a good variety of food to suit everyone's taste. There was some problems with the magnetic room keys, as ours stopped working several times and had to be refreshed, There was a free complementry computer in the loby, which we found came in very handy. I enjoyed my stay there, and would not hesitate to stay there again, and would also recommend this hotel to any of my friends travelling to Houston.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pixarLondon
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Very competitively priced hotel near Houston's convention center (a walk in fact). Nearby is the House of Blues and a few decent places to eat and shopping. Not a luxury option, though clean and comfortable. My room had a small kitchen area (medium-sized fridge, sink, countertop and microwave and coffee making equipment).

I would certainly rank it as a good budget option for convention center attendees.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Backbeat70
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Much less expensive than other places in the area.
Nice short walk to House of Blues.
Kitchen seemed recently refreshed (appliances etc).
We liked having a ceiling fan.
If you're disabled, be aware that there's no elevator.
All the drawers were full of previous guests' trash and personal effects.
Surprise items were left planted around the room, showing further the lack of cleaning (bottle cap in bed, dime under the knife in the place setting on the table, etc).
Shower curtain was filthy.
Beds' comforters were full of lint, as if they had been put on the floor. Deduced by the fact that the floor was covered in the same kind of lint (ie not vacuumed).
Couldn't open the door because the bed was blocking it. And the bed couldn't be moved enough to allow it clearance. It made a "fun" game to get in the door with luggage.
We didn't ask for a new room. In our experience, it wouldn't help. Plus we had to run to get to our concert.
Discovered half way through our stay that the windows that open directly onto a patio where people smoke were not locked. Not secure at all!
Room numbers are written on the key cards. Not secure.
Parking lot next door wouldn't let us get a permit past 5am (even near midnight), requiring us to get up 4:30am to print a new parking permit.
Couldn't print a receipt at the front desk. How do I know how much was charged?
Don't burn yourself! The faucets in the kitchen and bath are reversed for hot and cold as compared to the typical USA configuration, and are not labeled.
Desk was not manned at all times.
People at front desk were not very helpful with questions and were very poor communicators (whispering and looking away rather than directly at us).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SunbearsTravel
rainbow23, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Our number one priority is to keep the hotel very clean and safe for our customers so they will come back to visit. Our air conditioners cool very well and can be adusted for individual comfort.
All the doors open to the rooms. The printer simply ran out of toner.The temperature of the hot water will not burn anyone.The lines of communication are kept open to accommodate the guests to the best of our ability.A relief housekeeper who couldn't speak English work that day.The housekeeping supervisor was off sick the day the guest stayed.If we would have known the room was nevercleaned, we would have put the guest in another room.We apologize for the unfortunate experience.Assistant Manager

Reviewed June 29, 2011

This is a small hotel located really close to the restaurant and shopping area. I went to Houston for an academic residency, and the service was great. Since it is a small place, the hotel personnel was able to distinguish who was a guest and who wasn't. That gave me some comfort and made me feel a little more secure. The room was always neat, bed sheets were clean and got fresh towels everyday. I received a great service for half the price compared to any other hotel around. If I ever return to Houston, I will definitively stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Enika
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Athens Hotel Suites very much: very neat and perfectly clean rooms, absolutely perfect location, very friendly, helpful and lovely stuff, good breakfasts, I couldn't ask for more! Highly recomended, I'm sure going to go back there next time I'm in Houston.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo