“Slow service in lounge for food”

DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
Ranked #42 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Slow service in lounge for food”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were told we could order food in the lounge much quicker than the restaurant, at 8:30 at night. Took over 1 hour for food to arrive. The bar waitress had to check on it herself, after calling a few times. One person got a chicken salad, that had cold chicken. I had shrimp starter, was ok. Wonder how long to get a whole meal. I left a note on the bed to leave a laundry bag. It was not there, but I went to the front desk, they gave me one quickly. No refrigerator, and small ice pail. Should have a bigger ice bucket to hold ice and drinks at same time.

1 Thank Carl W
MarkHouston, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I apologize for the challenges you experienced with our bar service and housekeeeping requests. We will use this information to improve our operation. With our multi-million dollar renovation coming next month, every room will be equiped with a refridgerator. We hope you are able to come back for a visit.

Mark Y-Guest Service Champion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Booked this hotel through a travel service & maybe that explains why I didn't get the warm reception?? Rooms were average, paid parking, no free wifi, no frig (needed for storing meds), no microwaves, initial room was not thoroughly cleaned (dirty towel in BR & sheets not chg.), no brkfst. Wasn't offered the complimentary COOKIES! Could have stayed at one of the competitors w/all the mentioned amenities. Poor place to choose for celebrating my sis B-day!

Room Tip: Nothing 4 STAR about this place! Disappointed in HOTWIRE!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa W
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us in Houston. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations, especially when you were celebrating a Birthday. Although an upcoming renovation will address some of your challenges, its the service we provide (or don't provide) that must be our focus.
Please accept my apologies and know that we are committed to exceeding your expectations in the future.

São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Excellent alternative for the price. Good Location, Easy access to Reliant Park. Difficult to find arriving by car, poor signage around the complex, and address does not match with the GPS, not listed with Area Hotels on the GPS. Did not offered the usual Doubletree cookies ate the chec-in.

1 Thank Willy H
Thank you for your feedback. We are working on signage and garage upgrades right now. We hope to see you back with us in the future.

Houston, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel is going through some updates and it is looking good. I am picky about clean white comforters that can be washed and they have them. Standard hotel, but great staff and a very comfortable stay. Also love having a Starbucks in the Lobby for my coffee run before work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your comments. Starbucks keeps us all alert here in Houston. Hope to see you back soon.

Oconomowoc, WI
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Typical high rise downtown hotel. Everything is a charge:parking, internet, no continental breakfast or coffee in the lobby. Rooms were ok but the property is showing it's age. Seating outside had cushions that no one moved during any rain so they were wet every time I attempted to sit on them.

1 Thank dougmorrissey
We are looking forward to a multi-million dollar renovation that will begin this year (including the updating of our outdoor furniture). Hope to see you back soon.

Astoria, New York, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have just stayed at this property on business in Houston.

This property until recently was a Renaissance property. It seems that the hotel is still working out the kinks from the transition.

Being a HHonors Gold member, I was "upgraded" to the "executive level". Upon looking at the elevator at the hotel, the executive levels were floors 17-19. I was on level 12. The room was very small but had a good view. This room would be used as an add-on bedroom when converting the room next to it to a suite. The room was extremely small, and had a Murphy Bed in the wall that the bed was pushed up against. (don't really understand this.)

Generally in Doubbletree and other Hilton properties, the housekeeping has at least 4 towels in the room. This room had 2 bath towels, 1 wash cloth and 2 hand towels. It seemed that housekeeping was holding back on towel amenities. I generally do not have my room serviced daily (to conserve resources) but it was necessary here as I needed new towels.

There is indeed a Starbucks on property. The Starbucks opens quite late for my taste (After 7am) and does not accept Starbucks rewards or app purchases.

When we used the complimentary breakfast buffet coupon, the blueberries in the fruit salad had mold on them. This obviously contaminated the entire salad. The food service team needs to be mindful of fruit spoilages, and this prevented me from eating at the hotel again.

Being that Houston is such a big city, there are many other properties (even Doubletree properties) that are much better. I chose this property due to how close it was to where I was working. I will not do so again.

I arrived quite late from the airport, and the front desk staff (2 gentlemen) were passive and off putting to my needs. All I needed was to have a second key made.

The parking situation here is quite confusing. There is a ticket for parking, but no cashier ready to redeem. The arm blocking the parking lot is always in the up position for the duration of my trip. On my honor, I told the staff that I was parking there, and they charged me. If I would have not said anything, it would have been very easy to park there without paying.

If for any reason, you are coming to Houston to visit the really large church there on the Greenway, this is an ideal place to stay as you can walk through the shared parking garage to the building. My room on the "Executive Level" was quite loud with children and families around.

Many other reviewers speak about having to pay for internet. This is quite common at hotels. The fee here is comparable. (Disclosure: as a HHonors Gold Member, I have complimentary wifi access)

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in the end rooms that can be converted into suites. These are terribly small.
3 Thank Daniel M
Thank you for your feedback. Although our much anticipated renovation will address some concerns, we continue to focus on the service standards that will set us apart from our competitors. We hope you give us another try should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Austin, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Great staff. I enjoyed staying here. The hotel was very clean. The room was nice and clean. The tv was good. I did not like that we had to pay an internet fee. The staff was very helpful. Everything was in great working order.