“Good location, good service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
Ranked #43 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked through Priceline and got the hotel for $58/nt, For the price the hotel was fabulous. Parking can run into quite a bit of money if your staying for a while ($14/day) but there were always people in the garage and I felt like my car was safe. There was also ample amounts of parking and we were able to park right in front of the entrance to the lobby each time we came back. The lot is a bit confusing, but we figured it out by the second time we entered. The check in and out was REALLY fast and the staff were all really courteous and knowledgable, especially when we were trying to figure out how to get places! The location was good, we only had to drive about 10-15 minutes to the museum district. I was happy with our room. It was clean, the bed was nice and the décor was modern and comfortable. We had a great stay, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KT121

Reviewed July 22, 2013

After several really good experiences with Doubletrees, this one fell short. We reserved several rooms for a long weekend to celebrate a family wedding in Houston and upon arrival the rooms did not match our original reservations (all except one room had kings rather than two queens which we requested and to make matters more interesting, one of the rooms was actually occupied when we entered!). We had also requested hypoallergenic bedding and that was not prepared in advance either.

The solution? Change one room and split us between floors--they were completely sold out so that became our problem--and give us one room with two queens and a handicapped room. And come later to change bedding. Oh, and to make us feel better about it, give us a free appetizer in the bar late at night. (We didn't want to go to the bar and didn't want an appetizer....if you want it I'll send you the coupon ;-)

The rooms were OK--well appointed and the beds and linens were up to Doubletree standards which we really like! Plenty of plugs for chargers and nice in room coffee service and a great flatscreen tv. One other odd thing--there was a cot set up in our room for some reason and it was never removed during our stay.

Housekeeping came to my elderly mom's room the second day while she was getting ready for the wedding and never returned later so her room was not cleaned during the stay. When I alerted the front desk we got another coupon--this time for a free coffee at Starbucks. I used that coupon but it seemed like a fairly easy way to try to compensate for a management problem that needs to be addressed to make this a true Doubletree experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob E
Patti P, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Bob E,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

One of the worst Hilton properties much less a Doubletree. I did not get a "The Cookie" at check-in. I was promised a free breakfast coupon as part of my Hilton Honors status but it never came. They didn't put a folio under my door (it wouldn't have been right which I'l get to later), as a business traveler in a hurry to check out in the morning, this is a big inconvenience. The thermostat is impossible to figure out. They didn't charge me for parking so when I was trying to leave there was an extended delay and they will have to send me a new bill, as a business traveler who has deadlines for expenses this is a big inconvenience. This location is unusual and entrances are not clearly marked, much less where to park, and it's even worse at night. They charge for self-parking, which would make sense if parking was at a premium, but it's not. It is next to Lakewood Church which is cause for huge traffic delays. The nightly rate was very low for the Houston area, I see why now. I will not be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Erik K
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Started off rough. We booked a room that included amenities in the executive lounge that closed 3 days before we arrived. After some phone calls, manager Marco did a great job rectifying the situation. Housekeeping was fast. Pool was cold. Service at bistro was ridiculously slow. Nice views and room. 2 of the 3 nights no one was in the parking garage and I could've avoided paying; which is annoying. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank poseur247
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Loved my stay at the Doubletree. Rooms were nice, clean and well appointed. Linens and beds were comfortable. The floor to celing windows were great. Some of the staff were great, Karrie and Marco. We had 2 rooms reserved Marco made sure that both our rooms were on the same floor and close to one another. Website says there is a parking charge, however we parked for free and 3 nights. The parking garage is tricky and somewhat of a maze.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BKW1
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and well kept, however I rated it as average due to the fact that I reserved a room with 2 queen beds and received a room with one king bed. Myself and another individual were forced to sleep on the floor due to the lack of availability of a cot or roll-away bed. I would not stay here ever again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Given the great deal we got for an upgraded Executive King Room, it was such a bargain I'm giving it a very good, if I had paid regular price I wouldn't be quite so pleased.....it wasn't quite as lux as I think the renaissance hotels (the old owners) are known for, and it's in a semi-strange location right off the highway in Greenway Plaza (a business complex), but the room was nice with a walk in closet separate from the bathroom and the bed was super comfortable. The pool was quite cool, thankfully, as the temp was over 100 degrees, and not many people were using it on a friday. (the pool looks over a freeway access road which is a little strange, and you have to cut across the lobby to get to it, the visible freeway does make the ambience a little less ideal) There is a Starbucks in the lobby and a nice bar that remains open so you can use in the morning to sit and check your internet for free (free wi-fi in the lobby) We were visiting Museums and it was a quick car ride to everything we wanted to see, so the location was good. Parking wasn't free, but it wasn't unreasonable (I think it was $12 a day if you self park, which is ideal if you plan to take the car out to drive and tour around, otherwise the desk wasn't sure if you had to pay vallet each time you parked.) The rumors about the garage are true, it's pretty nuts, but we were able to figure it out. There is a mega-church next door, and on the weekend there was a lot of revival type meetings going on in the conference rooms, which was a bit strange. You can hear the noise from the freeway even up on the higher floors, but it didn't disturb us. I would go again if I could get a similar deal.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on a higher up floor, i would assume that helps with the freeway noise. Most...