“Nice stay in Houston”

Ranked #38 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Norman, Oklahoma
“Nice stay in Houston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were at a conference and stayed here. The hotel staff was professional and courteous. The bar was very nice and trendy for a cocktail at the end of the day. There was a Starbuck's too. Plus, we were greeted when we checked in with a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie. Yummy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
George Town, Cayman Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel (formerly the Renaissance) for the past four years - largely as a result of my work but it is also convenient to the downtown area and to the Galleria mall. At the end of March, the hotel was rebranded from the Marriott to a Doubletee Hilton. The change has not been good. While my arrival met with no delays, the next four days were different. When I came off the elevator during check out and check in times, the lines were long and people largely dissatisfied. The biggest reason appeared to be the complete lack of recognition for people who have been staying here for years. All I heard in the elevators were complaints. Furthermore, for the first time ever, my meals were very poorly presented. One breakfast was not even the same breakfast I thought I had ordered. I order in room dining one evening and was told that they were out of steak (who is every out of steak in Houston?)! When I did get my revised meal, it was over an hour late and cold. There appeared to be few changes overall to the rooms - still dated - but with new bathroom amenities - it didn't matter to me as I don't use them. They had also put a pad on my bed - perhaps designed to give the bed a "pillow top" but all it did was make the clock impossible to read since the end tables were now well below the bed top. A big disappointment and, since the corporate rate was also increased, probably not somewhere I'm going to stay again unless there are no other options.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Bonnie G
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I had a night in the city for our anniversary. We found a deal at the Doubletree and booked it. Upon arriving, the valet told us it became a Doubletree 3 weeks ago. The staff was extremely nice but the hotel was a bit old.The pool is small and dated but I'm sure the Doubletree is in transition with the hotel. The parking garage is weird and scary, valet is a good choice. My husband checked in the told the staff i was a big Tripadvisor fan. They gave us a beautiful corner room - 1501. (It pays to know the right people). What a view! It made the whole experience. Great bed and I also like having HBO in the room. Yes, it was our anniversary but we did rest and watch TV.

Room Tip: 15th floor corner room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Rooms are acceptable, staff is hit-or-miss dis-interested, billing mistakes seem to be the norm.

1) My original reservation was for a King Executive Floor room (floors 17-19). I was downgraded to a regular double-queen on non-executive floor 15, and on checkout I was charged the higher rate for the executive floor room and had to argue with the front desk for more than 5 minutes to adjust to the correct rate.

2) I was charged for internet not once, but twice?? for my one night stay. As a diamond member there should have been zero charges for the internet, which required more interaction with a disinterested front desk.

3) With my downgraded room, I was not provided access to the executive lounge (standard diamond amenity) until I again pointed out the mistake to the front desk and had my room keys updated.

So if you are an HHonors member gold or above, double-check your bill and get ready to insist on any amenities you might expect to be standard. The dis-interested staff seem to be isolated to the front desk (and its not all of them), unfortunately with the high problem rate there's a good chance you will have to interact with them. House cleaning and executive lounge staff were quite nice.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, avoid low numbered rooms as they are closer to HWY 59. E.g. 1501 is near...
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I had several concerns during my stay here at the newly named DoubleTree hotel. I hope you find this helpful.

There are 2 parking options. Valet is $18 overnight, and self parking is $14. Both have "in and out" privileges, but it was not convenient yet at the time to do self parking. The hotel had recently converted from Renaissance to DoubleTree and the electronic pay station to exit the garage had not yet been updated. The receipt still stated Renaissance which may be an issue for business travelers writing expense reports. The option to use guest room keys to charge parking directly to the room was not operational and I found myself just pulling new tickets to get in and out of the parking lot. This was explained to me at check in, but I was disappointed that the hotel had not been able to fix their system nor had a better solution to the issue since changing hotel brands.

The room I had was very clean and had a great view of the Greenway plaza. I was very grateful that there were many lamps in the room that provided good lighting. Each mirror and surface was very clean and I was impressed. Linens were still new and very luxurious so a definite plus to staying here. The mattress was not that comfortable and I woke up with body aches in the morning. The TV and cable system is average at best. I'm not sure how good the wireless internet service is because it cost $12.95.

At the time I was at the hotel, the phone system was still being upgraded to be DoubleTree standards. The operator Christian was a doll when assisting me with each of my questions and requests.

Room service menu was good. Check your receipt to make sure the prices on the menu are what you are getting charged for. My receipt was charged incorrectly and during checkout was given a hard time correcting the bill. Don't waste your money on the wedge salad, even if it sounds tasty. It was really disappointing.

Lastly, I may have extremely high standards for customer service, but the front office agents at the time during my stay were unfriendly, unhelpful, and unwelcoming. This is a nice hotel for the quality of the room but I am more picky about how hotel associates treat guests. I would strongly recommend to the hotel management that they work on customer service and sensitivity training, as well as teaching the value of knowing English to all levels of employees as this impacts guest satisfaction and your overall hotel "SALT" scores.

McKinney, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel lacks finishing touches! Staff that I came in contact with were very nice and all helpful, especially the driver of the free shuttle that goes to the Galleria mall.
Around the pool needs some TLC , no plants or shrubs. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, but if you are needing an early breakfast,on the run it doesn't open to 7am! The room was neat and tidy but the ceiling was very low, there was a walk in closet which was nice but the bathroom was tiny!
The hotel is difficult to access from the highway as the entrance is not well signposted, if you want to attend Joel Olsteens church this is the pace to stay.

Room Tip: Do not take a room beside the elevator, you hear the noise all night!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Oxford,MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel recently renovated. Yes it is an older building but they have done a great job making it look fresh! Rooms are plenty big enough; bathrooms are very nice. Starbucks on premise is a huge perk! Gift shop has plenty of stuff if you are in need. The hotel has a great bar right next to the lobby; even on a wednesday night there was plenty of socialization going on. Great location --minus the mega church across the street - most of the garages around there are designated for the church. Beyond that the staff was excellent; even offered free wifi in the room. Next time I am in Houston I'll be sure to head over there.

Very Nice. Pleased and rested.

Room Tip: High Floors are nice; though the lower floors get the Lobbys free wifi!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business