“Not worth the price.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Dallas
“Not worth the price.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is average in services, comfort and convenience.. Our family of three was on the 12th floor for a big tournament over the weekend. My first step was to figure out what restaurants were in the area, as it was close to dinner after a long drive. There wasn't a guide book or listing of area info in the room so I called to the desk to find out if they could bring one up, It never showed up. My husband went down to the front desk and got a list easily enough. We ordered locally and had it delivered as the hotel is not in walking distance to anything other than fast food. The beds were adequate, the pillows however were terrible, square and bulky or soft and mushy, not a full size pillow to be found. The next morning we had to leave by 6:30 am, there is a Starbucks on the location but it opens @ 7:00 as does any room service, so we were out of luck. That night after a long day, all I wanted was a hot shower and to go to bed. The water was hot alright, but the water pressure was so low, I felt like I couldn't rinse my hair or get all the soap off. Very unsatisfying shower. We settled in to check out a movie on TV only to find the whole TV viewing to be a true hassle because of the layout for options on the screen. You can't just browse channels, you have to go back each time to a main menu, scroll through all the options and pick a channel, every time you want to go to another channel. Want to watch a movie, well that will cost you extra, want to use the internet? Well that will cost you $12.95 a day. Everything that is normally a convenience of staying at a hotel was tacked on as an extra for this one. We ended up using my Samsung Galaxy 3 cell phone and watching a movie on Netflix. The next morning our wake up call for 5:45, came @ 5:30am, just saying, every minute counts that early in the morning. We did enjoy the pool later that afternoon, a nice sized, heated pool that was the most relaxing part of our hotel stay. We did not visit the bar on site, or the weight room as we were really in and out most of our two night three day visit. We loved Houston and after hanging out downtown at the Discovery Green Park right across from the Convention Center, we swore the next time we visit, to stay right downtown and enjoy all that Houston has to offer within walking distance. A city we will definitely be back to visit again, just not at the Renaissance Houston Hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife, son and I stayed here on points over the weekend for a quick getaway inside the loop of Houston. They had a great breakfast buffet, (free for platinum guests). Workout room was top-notch! They also have a Starbucks and bar on the premises. The valet parking was solid and only four bucks more than regular parking, (not counting tip). Sleep quality was pretty good, except the doors in other rooms shut very loud and it tends to carry through out the rooms. Everyone was very nice, service and amenities seemed top notch.

Room Tip: I'd go for the valet parking. Also, Starbucks seemed to close early so get your coffee fix in e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This property is everything you would expect from a Marriott Renaissance - full-service; amenity rich; excellent rooms, service, and hospitality. F&B in the hotel is fantastic, with service staff to match. We had Tortilla Soup, Crab Cake, Quesadilla, Bone-in Pork Chop – all fabulously prepared and served.

Likes: The workout facility is a huge plus which overlooks the spacious and well-designed outdoor pool. Using the treadmills (which there are many cardio machines to choose from) in the late afternoon can be a bit tricky since you face west and the sun is very bright despite the tinted glass). Weight machines, free weights, mats, balls, are plentiful.
Concierge lounge – serves made to order omelets, and attentive friendly staff am and pm.

Peeves: The parking garage, although convenient, is not well kept – a lot of wear and tear and trash.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I attended Lakewood Church this weekend, and I stayed at the Renaissance on Saturday. This is a very nice hotel. Rooms were clean, beds comfortable and overall lovely. The most favorable thing I like was the hotel parking lot was connected to Lakewood church, so i just had to walk over. What I did not like about the hotel is the valet parking fees, and the 50.00 fee that they put on your card. Overall I liked it very much and I would stay there every time I am in houston attending the church.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel but it isn't great. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are updated. The staff was friendly especially the concierge lounge ladies. The location is perfect for my meetings and better than the Galleria hotels due to no traffic.

The bed: needs updating. The mattress looked old and a worn pillow top was thrown on top to make it seem better. The sheets didn't fit so as soon as I sat down on it they would fold up and expose the mattress itself. That got annoying.

Parking: finding the entrance is hard enough but finding the hotel parking lot is harder. The signs aren't clear and they all say " no SUVS". I drove mine in anyway and barely fit because I didn't see any other options besides valet which I didn't have time for each morning. Trying to exit the garage is hard too because my keys never worked so I had to call each time to let me out. If you're handicapped there are no elevators from that level to the hotel. Only an escalator which isn't big enough to fit luggage on. It's just not user friendly. Maybe they want people to pay more for valet.

The concierge lounge: excellent breakfast and good cocktails each night. Made my stay a little better.

Gym/pool: the gym was large and had plenty to choose from. The pool area was great but it was too cold outside to enjoy this time. I bet it's great in the summer.

I'd stay again due to location for my meetings but I'm a little hesitant. As a Marriott gold member I may try the JW Marriott instead and fight the traffic.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

At first arriving at this hotel, you think the location isnt the best since it is among a business park, but boy was I wrong. They will shuttle you anywhere around and there are WONDERFUL food choices around every corner. The hotel itself has a great place to eat and bar as well as a Starbucks inside! The rooms are large and extremely comfortable and quiet! Very Clean. There is a Taco Place across the street called 100% Taquito which was amazing!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed great and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Came to Houston for a long weekend and this hotel was perfect for us! It is connected to Lakewood Church and Greenway Plaza via underground parking so everything was very convenient to get to. The hotel met all of our requests and expectations. Breakfast buffet was delicious and our room and view were outstanding. I only wish they had small refrigerators in the rooms to keep soda or water cold. Easy commute to the Galleria. Next time we return to Houston this will again be our choice of the hotel to stay in!! (Great little Starbucks in the lobby too....very helpful young male college student who was very polite on duty each time we stopped by)!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business