“Nice hotel but many additional fees”

DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
Ranked #42 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel but many additional fees”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay one night here for New Year's Eve just to do something different. This hotel is a part of Marriott and thought I would give them a try again. POSITIVE: hotel staff is VERY hospitable, accommodating and professional. The hotel is very nice, there is an on site restaurant and lounge. The room was nice, clean(so we thought) and there were adequate towels for our one night stay.NEGATIVE: The parking is $14 for self parking and $18 for valet. We were on the 6th floor and the walls were paper thin. I do give the benefit that this was New Years Eve and there were activities going on but that quite down around 2 am, but you could hear the neighboring door close each time and although our room was around the corner...we hear the awful elevator shaft movement each time the elevator was in use. There was a pillow with hair already on it that did not belong to my husband or I. We did not want to complain because some hotel chains places you on some list and we did not want to be marked. $162 was a high price for not getting any sleep so we left around 8:30 am

Room Tip: DO NOT GET ROOM 610 you can hear the elevator all night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bacrowe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Langley, Washington
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a hotel advertised as being 4 star and it certainly merits it. The staff is professional and friendly. Our bed was maybe the nicest hotel bed I have ever slept in. Guest room amenities were nice and housekeeping was good and unobtusive. We had a nice breakfast with friends in the hotel restaurant. I will definetly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
toronto
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here for a quick 1 1/2 day business trip as the office I was visiting was right across the street. Vey nice hotel with excellent service and staff. I am not a frequent Renaissance visitor (I am a Starwood Platinum-Gold for Life member) but found the front desk to be excellent. Room was on a high floor with good view-no traffic noise. It was a good size. Found the price was a little high for location and amenities especially since internet access was an additional charge. The bar area was good to catch a monday night football game and the bartender was excellent. Nice touch with free chocolate chip cookies by the elevator! I would stay here again but certainly would price shop around the next time. Bfast room service was good but I did not have time to explore the other amenities in the hotel or the underground

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
lagos
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The service is wonderful. Their in house restaurant bistro 59 has the most amazing food. The front desk staff are very friendly. The only downside is their parking. It is quite inconvenceing especially when the joel osteen church has a service

• Stayed April 2012
SGlen_12, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Ona O,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service our staff provided you and your dining experience in our Bistro Restaurant met your expectations. I will pass your comments on to the Chef and restaurant staff.

I appreciate and understand your comments regarding parking. During the upcoming year we will be adding additional directional signage and more lighting to improve the arrival experience.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next stay with us. I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving here in Houston!

Regards,

Steve
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Overall a nice hotel. My first room was small and claustrophobic, large enough for a bed and 2 end tables. I requested a change, and they accommodated. The second room was larger with 2 queen beds. Needless to say the rooms I had, had boring views of parking lots and the Lakewood church. The hotel is a bit off the beaten path so you can feel a little closed in if you are without a car. There is a shuttle bus to the Galleria Mall that is about 4 miles away. Within walking distance there are other restaurants (a Thai and Japanese restaurant are not far away). I almost forgot, there is a food court underground and walkways I did not explore.

The health club and the pool looked very nice. The rooms were clean and the beds quite comfortable.

I found the food to be inconsistent and expensive. I ordered dinner via room service on the first of five nights and the pulled lettuce salad was wonderful and fresh. However, the next day, when I ordered it in the restaurant, it was inedible with old and wilted lettuce. The following day I ordered short ribs and they were awful, tasteless and sour at the same time. At $19 a pop, needless to say I was not happy. I did not ask for a refund but should have. If I had a choice to stay elsewhere, closer to the Galleria I would have. However, if you are looking for someplace that is on the quiet side this might be the place for you. It is best for business stays and conferences but not for your family.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if possible on a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SGlen_12, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Hello Travelonbike,

Thank you for taking the time to relay you comments and observations. I have spoken with our chef regarding you the experience you encountered with inconsistent food quality when ordering through our In Room Dining department. Obviously, it is a great disappointment to both of us when something like that happens. Please email me prior to your next stay and I will make every effort to reserve one of our corner kings for you and ensure that should you dine with us, your meal will meet your expectations.
Again, thank you for letting us know where we failed to meet expectations. I look forward to hearing from you. steve.glen@marriott.com
Paris, France
Reviewed November 10, 2012

As I arrived I thought I was going to stay in an office block. Behind the dull facade I ended up in a nice hotel. Good rooms, fast internet, great staff and an excellent breakfast. The interior is maybe not spectacular, but it certainly breathes a comfortable environment. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the buffet lunch that was part of a big seminar I participated in. I didn't dine in the hotel restaurant, but in various of the excellent restaurants around Houston. Only way to reach them is by car/taxi, which reveals the only flaw of this hotel: it's location. However, moving around in cars is quite normal business for Houston though!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Located near the Galleria and some of the best restaurants in Houston. The hotel has a really great breakfast buffet, but the lounge has really uncomfortable seating with this really weird couch thing with pillows. Front desk staff loves to argue with you, (even if you show them their own web site) so make sure your reservation details are intact before you check in. Just because it says "free breakfast" doesn't mean they will give it to you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business