“Great rooms, good location, average food service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza

DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
Ranked #40 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Great rooms, good location, average food service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2007

As always, the standard excellent rooms at a Renaissance. Its located a bit south of the city which is OK if you don't want to be downtown. The only thing i was less than happy with was the food service. For a Renaissance, the food quality was pretty average.

• Liked — The rooms a excellent
  • Disliked — Food was limited and less than great
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Londoni
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

Hotel is located just off the freeway yet very quiet, can't even hear the cars from the rooms. Only 10 mins from both Downtown & the Galleria. Hotel Shuttle Bus very usefull & has regular tranfers to the Galleria. Hotel lobby was pleasant & Staff are very friendly & there was always someone at the reception, breakfast was quite nice too.

Room was clean although I felt in need of updatining decor wise.... a bit old fashioned specially the bathrom. I was very dissapointed to learn the tub & shower were not seperate as this was stated on the website before I booked but apparently all room are like that?

We stayed for a week & it was almost a pleasant stay untill we were hit with a $500 bill for extras at checkout !! This was for 4 days internet access & about 6 or 7 short calls back to the UK !! Have never been charged that much in a hotel especially after beeing told that calls would be cheaper if we used their internet service..... apprently there was a $20 connection fee so every time you dial out it's £10 even if you don't get through. I felt like I had been robbed !! anyway lesson learnt... take your moblies as it is definately cheaper or even better buy a phone card fo $5 and you'll get about 800 international mins !!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — The Bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Sugar Land, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

I wanted to write this review after I remembered the great customer service I received during my night at the Renaissance. This review is a little late (stayed there Aug 2003) but I really enjoyed my stay. I booked this room since I wanted to have a special place for my wedding night (flew out the next day to Jamaica). I booked the room, then called the front desk and explained I wanted things to be special since it was our wedding night. They bent over backwards by upgrading us to an unused suite and also had beverages/snacks ready for us in the room upon arrival. The room was beautiful and large. Breakfast the next morning was also delicious and relaxing. Thanks again!!

• Stayed August 2003, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

We recently visited the Houston area, mostly to visit Space Center Houston, and due to the reviews in TA we picked this hotel - we stayed 3 nights.

Finding the hotel property went fairly well, though the entrance from the road kind of comes up on you quick - stay alert. And, like I guess many people have mentioned, finding out how to drive to the hotel lobby, and then navigating the enormous shared parking area, is a very frustratring endevour - how 'bout a few more helpful signs?

Aside from parking issues, which continued throughout our stay, all is very nice. The staff was very professional and helpful, the room was large enough and clean, and we really enjoyed the breakfast which was included in the rate we chose - there were fresh waffles and an omelet chef there each morning.

We have an 11-year old daughter and have traveled enough to tell the difference between a family, vacation hotel and a business hotel - this is the latter. This wasn't a problem by any means but my daughter always prefers staying and eating at places with other children. Secondly, our itinerary left us only 1 day ideal for hanging out and going swimming - as it turned out the pool was closed that entire day - somewhat disappointing.

We like to walk on our vacations but this hotel is definately not in a walkable neighborhood - we always had to get in our car (and navigate the parking garage) for each meal out.

All in all a nice place to stay but I wouldn't struggle to return there for a future visit.

• Liked — Breakfast, professional staff
  • Disliked — Parking, requirement to drive everywhere
  • Stayed April 2007
2 Thank DaJoos
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

Great beds, large bath with excellent toiletries, good location with easy access to Rice Village and freeways. Theater, shops and restaurants attached and Starbucks located in the lobby. Two parties with bands were in progress when entering from the parking garage but the room on 18th floor was very quiet. Easy check in and check out.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Beachgirl247
Bakersfield, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

The stay turned out ok but I was truly disgusted at first.

We had trouble finding the hotel as others have mentioned. The vast concrete parking structure is a nightmare. I gave up and used the valet. We checked in and were happy, felt the room was nice and settled in and headed out to dinner.

The next morning my daughter (9) was in the shower and dropped the soap outside so I stooped to pick it up from between the toilet and the tub. There on the side of the toilet, below the rim were streaks of blood. The rim had been wiped but not the bottom of the toilet, which due to the steam was turning red. I was horrified and immediately called the desk. They sent everyone but the police department to see what happened. There was also something disgusting on the wall. They immediately moved rooms for us. Their apologies were a coupon for breakfast, even though we had breakfast included in the rate.

The second frustrating thing was when eating breakfast my daughter put a scone on her plate she could not finish. I asked for something to wrap it in to take to the room. The waitress became hostile and informed me I could not do that. I said charge me, do whatever, but I want to take the scone to my room. We almost had to have a full blown argument. Never have I had something so crazy happen in a restaurant. I paid and left.

Once we were past that everything went smoothly and we had a good stay. I just truly question their housekeeping and am questioning Marriott's housekeeping standards.

• Liked — smallness of hotel
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lneath
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2007

We picked this facility because it is a four diamond hotel. It deserves the rating as there was nothing to complain about in the room and especially the helpful staff.

But it was a pain getting in and out of the multilevel garage and access to nearby streets and the nearby freeway through Greenway Plaza buildings took some getting used to.

Nevertheless if you want to be in this part of Houston this is a good choice.

• Liked — Deserves four diamond rating
  • Disliked — Parking and access
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple