“Nice Hotel. Terrible Stay”

Sheraton Houston West
Ranked #46 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Booked this hotel thru Priceline for $115.00 per night for a 2 night stay. Arrived at 11pm. (Info: Both me and my girlfriend are caucasian). Hanging around the front entrance were 5-6 Gangsta/Pimp/Drug dealer-looking types, and they made it very uncomfortable for us to walk thru/around them.No bellmen around. No Luggage carts available; front desk employees said "Guess people have them in their rooms". Several women in the lobby hanging out that appeared to be black hookers. We were the only caucasian people in the hotel lobby/bar area, and it was very uncomfortable. Upon entering the room, we could hear loud partying down the hall, and the smell of marijuana permeated the area. I literally slept with my pistol on the nightstand. I've never felt "unsafe" at a hotel before, but we did at this one. Upon arising the next morning, after a fitful sleep, we packed our bags and exited as fast as we could, and didnt even stay for the second night. Some romantic valentines weekend stay, huh? I'd recommend against staying here (unless you are a gangsta/pimp/drug dealer, are looking for a black hooker, or dont mind feeling unsafe)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at Sheraton Houston West, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Hello Robert; thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with me your most recent experience. I sincerely do apologize that we did not have any bell carts available when you checked in and that your first impression of the property was not a positive one.

The city of Houston hosted the NBA ALL STAR this past weekend and we had numerous out of town guests visiting the city to partake in the festivities. The influx of visitors to the city did sell out the majority of the hotels in Houston and did create some challenges for us in accommodating the large influx of check-ins and visitors.

I can assure you that your most recent experience at the Sheraton Houston West is not indicative of our usual high levels of service and I sincerely do apologize for the shortfalls you encountered. I can assure you that your most recent experience is not indicative of the superior levels of service we provide to our guests on a daily basis.

The property has a very strong track record for providing great service, I do hope we will see you again in the near future so that we may impress upon you a much more accurate reflection of our service levels.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel infra structure is great, rooms are big, clean and have everything you need. Besides that, hotel becomes a bad choice due to the service. Front desk personell untrained, you have to pay everything in advance and they kept calling my room as if I would leave the hotel without paying. Once they even called my room at 11 pm, saying I would need to go down to give my credit card number again, since they lost it due to a system failure. Also, at check in, you are not informed of what the hotel has to offer (i.e swimming pool, shuttle service, breakfast, etc). Restaurant also closes earlier than expected without any explication.

Room Tip: Choose 5th floor (exclusive for Starwood Preferred Guests)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at Sheraton Houston West, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Greetings – and thank you for your review! We are, of course, always pleased to hear that our guests enjoy our hotel. I was very concerned to hear that you had an issue at the front desk, and I will be sharing this with our front office staff to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. Again, thank you for your comments, and I hope you will be back to visit us again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for business. The hotel is your standard hotel. My room was a decent size, nice bathroom with counter space for toiletries. The staff were great - accomodated my request for a nightlight and even though we checked in after 11 pm, were able to place me far away from the elevators because I am a light sleeper. Although the breakfast is not included in the rate, we had fresh, good breakfasts each day we were there. The room was clean and the temperature control was very good - I was able to keep it very cool at night which is my preference. As other folks have noted, there is nothing really in the immediate area. My collegue and I drove 5 minutes to City Centre shops and we had an abundance of choices to eat - all very nice. We ate at Brio Tuscan Grille and both had very good meals. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Hello; thanks for the feedback about the hotel, we truly do appreciate the comments we receive. I was pleased to read that your overall stay was an enjoyable one and hope that we'll see you again during your next trip to the Houston Area. Perhaps on your next visit you can take advantage of our complimentary shuttle, which will take you anywhere within a short distance from the hotel, whether it be to City Center or the Memorial City Mall.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The house restaurant (Papa Joes Grill) closed until Jan 6th for the holidays. Jan 6th? That is longer than my kids holiday break. And why is the outside marquee lit for the restaurant when it is not open. My company pays for my room service when traveling. Guess they made out on this one. There also seem to be little to no quality food places near this hotel.

The room and hotel seems nice, the area around it...not so much.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at Sheraton Houston West, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hello; I appreciate your feedback with regard to your recent visit to our hotel. During the holidays Papa Joes Grill was, indeed, only open for breakfast. I do apologize for any inconvenience this caused you, and I hope you were able to take advantage of the free shuttle we offer. We are a very short distance from City Centre which offers a wide variety restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues and events, all in a modern village-like atmosphere. We do get a lot of positive reviews about Papa Joe’s Grill, and I hope you will come back to visit us again and have the opportunity to dine with us.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed here on business the week after Thanksgiving and had mixed feelings about the property overall. The Hotel is obviously new, but built in the generic unremarkable "no frills" design. The lobby while tastefully decorated is somewhat small and cramped keeping with the no frills model.

The location itself is not the greatest, although you have very easy access to the toll rd, the traffic in this area is maddening during peak hours, and there is no way around it.

The rooms at first glance seem sleek and modern but once you settle in, you find that you have a rather odd set up that is just not very funtional. There are no drawers in the room at all and odd little red pull out containers I suppose to compensate? Rather than a closet to hang your clothes, there is an odd little armoire with very limited space. Also no mini fridge or microwave in the room which should be standard in a 3 star hotel. Aside from the oddities the room was clean, the bed and pillows were standard Sheraton quality and quite comfortable, plus the usual Sheraton bathroom ammenities were presant.

A huge plus and by far the best thing this hotel has going for it in my opinion is the staff. These folks literally do hand stands to insure you have a plesant stay and it is everyone across the board from check in to check out, from the tireless manager who never stops asking if there is anything you need, to the friendly and entertaining gal who tends bar at night, everyone was top notch and made a very average hotel a whole lot brighter.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at Sheraton Houston West, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Hello; thank you for your feedback. Our staff does do everything possible to make all of our guests enjoy the time they spend with us. I will share your comments with them and they will be very pleased to know that you appreciated their efforts. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to extend our best wishes for the new year!

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Booked through Priceline. Very easy access off of Beltway 8. Great stay. Was in town for a wedding outside of Katy. Very nice bar area. no free breakfast though. but full menu for food. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012

Hello; I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. We do get a lot of positive feedback from our guests and appreciate you taking the time to share your own thoughts. Traveling for a wedding creates great memories and I am glad we were able to be a part of that. On behalf of our entire staff, best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked a room through Priceline.com and was totally dissatisfied with the booking company and the Sheraton. I had no Idea that there was a $50 holding fee??? Yea, exactly, It's not the fact that i had to pay an additional $50 that bother's me, it's the fact that i wasn't told about the $50 fee. Not by Priceline nor the Sheraton. I even called the Sheraton twice today to confirm my reservation and neither of the girls said anything about a fee. Now, to be fair, the manager did explain the fee to me once I checked in, however, with me first impressions are everything. Will I use this hotel again, most certainly not, If I booked this room through Priceline to get a deal and had to pay additional money, where it the discount? I'll wait......exactly......What is the benefit of using Priceline. I'll wait......exactly...... I just felt that the whole thing was sneaky and underhanded by both parts. It's not like anyone was breaking down the door to book this hotel. The parking lot, should I say could use a few cars..... My motto is "take care of the customer and worry about the rest later".

Room Tip: May sure you call this hotel after your room as been booked to assure that there are no hidden or ad...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Fourpointsgm, General Manager at Sheraton Houston West, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Hello; Thank you for sharing your most recent experiences. The hotel has a strong working relationship with Priceline and we have received numerous positive comments about the hotel. The hotel does require that a valid credit card be provided at time of check in. The hotel does place a hold on each credit card it receives at time of check in for $50.00 which is intended to cover the costs of any incidentals that our guest may incur during their stay. The $50.00 hold is released by the bank 7 -10 business days later if no incidental charges are incurred during the visit. It is evident that this practice by the hotel caused you a great deal of frustration and challenges and for that I sincerely do appologize. The hotel receives lots of great comments about our service and the caliber of the hotel, your most recent experience is not indicative of the level of satisfaction that our guests customarily experience, Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can further assist you.