“Awesome Hotel --- Told Everyone --- Will Stay There Again Next Year”

Residence Inn Houston Medical Center/NRG Park
Ranked #239 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Denton, TX
“Awesome Hotel --- Told Everyone --- Will Stay There Again Next Year”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I often check the reviews for hotels, but rarely get online to add my own. I have to add my review from our last trip. We loved this hotel and will stay there again next year. I hope I have convinced my friends to stay there with us too!

We traveled to Houston for the big Reliant Park Dog Show. This is the biggest dog show in the State of Texas every year. This is the first time we have stayed at this hotel. I liked the other hotels we have stayed before, but this hotel beats them ALL!

The rooms were nice & clean. There is a small kitchen and a full size refrigerator. It was awesome to have this since we were traveling with dogs & teenagers.

The beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms were clean, even the floor behind the bathroom door was clean. (You know, that ick factor when you close the bathroom door and you see grossness behind the door in some hotels.... NOT this one!!)

We had to call the front desk to have them repair a minor issue in our room. When we returned that afternoon, it was repaired and a message was waiting for us on the room voice mail to make sure everything was repaired correctly. It was.

They have a nice hot breakfast daily, including fresh fruit. Plus, I was pleasantly surprised that they had an evening "hospitality" 4 days a week where they served drinks and food. They said it was an appetizer, but one night they served hamburgers! And they were very good! Yum! I ate breakfast all 4 mornings and twice for the evening hospitality. Their food was very good and was plentiful when I went down there. Plus, there were alot of people there at meal times, so they are doing something right.

I saw security on the property in the evenings. They had a shuttle to the medical facilities, which I thought was very nice and I saw people using the shuttles quite often. The staff on the property was always friendly.

I rated the value of this hotel at a 4 only because it is a bit more expensive than some other hotels in the area, but I think it is well worth the little bit extra you pay for the larger room and meals they serve. You might save $20 or $30 with other hotels, but it will be well worth the little extra you pay to stay at this hotel.

All & all, it was a great trip! 5 days, 4 nights, no complaints. Will make reservations there next year!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto
Reviewed April 11, 2010

very nice hotel, staff are very friendly and helpful, rooms are clen and fresh.shuttle service is quick and reliable , and it's a walking distance to shopping area. i really enjoyed staying there .

• Stayed March 2010
Arlington, TX
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is an older property that needs some freshening, but if you find a killer deal then it is well worth it's cost. It is so close to the Medical center and all the major thoroughfares that one can get to anywhere in Houston relatively easy.
Our room was clean and comfortable. It was your standard Residence Inn-small kitchen, sitting area, no frills bathroom. The sheets and towels were soft, the bed was comfortable. The carpet was stained and worn looking, but looked otherwise clean. There were water stains on the ceiling above our bed, and the ceiling creaked and groaned while we were trying to sleep from the people above us. There was also a colony of strange small flies populating the room that seemed to emanate from the water heater closet. But bugs don't really bother me much, so it didn't disturb me.
The free wifi was nice, and they serve a hot breakfast for free every morning. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Cleveland
Reviewed January 27, 2010

These are like little condos. There was complimentary popcorn, a kitchen fully stocked with dishes. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were clean. The problem with my room was a dank smell that came from the bathroom. In the bathroom, it smelled like feces and the smell didn't waver with the fan on so I had to keep the bathroom door closed. There was not hot water, just warm. The couch was very worn and the carpeting too. There is no wifi and the tv had stripes through it on all channels, meaning it was about to die. I had to walk a very long distance outside to my room, and I'm a runner, so if I thought it was long, it was, especially with a heavy suitcase. The breakfast was wonderful. The shuttle to the medical center is free, but they fail to mention that it may be packed full of people and you may be the last of 8 to be dropped off, so it can take some time. They DO NOT HAVE A FITNESS CENTER and have not changed this on their website - straight up lie. It seemed like a cheap decent place to stay if you or a loved one needed medical care and needed to stay in town, but I wouldn't recommend it to much of anyone else.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 10, 2010

My wife & I stayed at this property for about three weeks and while we found our stay acceptable, and we were not displeased to be here, I guess the bottom line of any review or experience is whether I’d return or not. The short answer for this property is NO! Read below for explanation.

I thought I was an experienced traveler, especially at domestic hotels, yet I continue to learn things to ask or verify (which I have taken for granted) particularly when I stay at a property for an extended stay. Some important items that I have added to the checklist include:
Is there a fitness room on site?
Is there free high speed wireless in the room?
Is parking complimentary?

The answers to the above three questions for this property are: NO, No (with a caveat), and Yes.

Fitness Center: I never expected that a Marriott property would not have a fitness center on site!! However, there is a nearby (1/2 mile) Marriott Spring Hill Suites which offers use of their fitness center to guests of the Residence Inn. There is a hotel shuttle that runs on the ½ hour (frequently late) that will transport you.

Hi Speed Internet: There is free wireless internet service in the rooms, but is only the slow, 384/Kb/s speed. The high speed service costs $8.95/day. There is also free service in the lobby, but did not use so I don’t know the speed of that service.

Parking was free.

Other items that cause me to be negative about this property are:
Newspapers: Only a handful of USA Today newspapers are available at no charge in the lobby. Once they are gone, that’s it, and you’re out of luck—you can’t even purchase one. Also, despite the statement on the keyholder that “Complimentary local and national papers available in the Gatehouse”, there aren’t any local newspapers available, even for sale!!

Facility: This property is over 25 years old, and the hotel and units surely show its age. There was a large 2” gap under the front door to my unit, and I had to put a towel in front of the door to keep the cold air (and any insects/animals) out. My unit was not properly nor fully furnished upon check-in, as I had to request an oven tray for cooking, plastic container bowls, and missing silverware. Am I supposed to be quality and inventory control?

TV: The tv in the room was the old, standard 15” type. The channels offered were minimal, and did not include CNBC, Fox Business News or many other “normal” offerings. The picture was dark and the sound quality was barely acceptable. We had such a poor experience with the Pay-per View, that they sent maintenance over who saw the problem yet could not fix it, and ended up providing us that movie for free—we did not attempt any further viewings during our stay.

Housekeeping: The housekeeping staff was poorly outfitted as well, as several times they didn’t have dishwasher powder. So, they may run the dishwasher but I would question the cleanliness if no soap was used--how can they clean the dishes? I ended up obtaining sufficient quantity of dishwasher powder and ran the dishwasher myself to insure that I had clean dishes everyday.

Fruit: Fruit in the lobby was only available during the breakfast hours. I think EVERY other Marriott property I’ve been to offer some fruit (apples/oranges/water/candy) throughout the day. And despite the fact that there were fresh apples/oranges in the kitchen, old, soft and spoiled apples were not replaced until the apples were truly evidently brown & mushy.

Two important positives were the attitudes of the front desk and kitchen personnel. They made every effort to make our stay pleasant. Also, there is a Kroger supermarket 300 feet away.

The location in southwest Houston is close to the various medical centers. It’s about an 8 minute drive to the museums, 15 minutes to downtown and 20 minutes to the Galleria.

The owners of this property are nearing completion of a brand new 9 story Courtyard on an adjacent lot. That site was formerly where the other half of this Residence Inn originally was located. This current site will be razed in a few years for other new hotels---I feel that’s way too far in the future, as this property has long since been profitable and the required update is long overdue.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Rooms are ok, but I got the feeling this hotel is where patients undergoing surgery at the local medical center stay, and I don't like the idea of a someone who can't properly clean him/herself having stayed in my room. Sofa and desk chair were all cloth, which I think is digusting to have in a hotel. Furniture should be leather or fake leather so that it can be cleaned! I don't want to sit on a sofa that people have probably had sex on time and time again. Pillows on the bed were dirty too.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Georgia
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I checked in here on a business trip. The dishwasher in the kitchen was beeping uncontrollable, the engineer couldn't fix it -- and instead lurked around offering sleazy and creepy come-ons. The kitchen table -- and as it turns out the entire room -- was infested with ants. The bathroom floor was dirty. I was told no other room was available, and on the day I checked out, I asked to have the manager contact me. That, of course, never happened. I had to fumigate my luggage after I left.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business