“Under Rated -- Ideal for Longer Stays”

Residence Inn Houston Medical Center/NRG Park
Ranked #252 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We think this hotel is underrated for longer stays, such as seeking medical treatment at the Houston Medical Center. The staff is so very friendly, and go out of their way for you. The breakfasts are varied, and the evening happy hour plus snack can sometimes fill in for dinner. The shuttles back and forth to the Med Center area are really useful, and most of the drivers are so very helpful and friendly. The Kroger -- WITH STARBUCKS -- next door is also great, an easy walk through the door in the fence between the properties. The location is also very convenient to other places in Houston. We will continue to stay here when we return to Houston for treatment.

Room Tip: We stay in a one-BR with loft and 2 baths. It's nice to have the extra room when you are here fo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SPCRBC

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I travel regularly for business. I choose the Marriott chain for pretty much most of my stays. This has probably been the worst Marriott hotel. The room had a strange odor to it. There were bugs in the bathtub. The couch did not look clean. Most of the TV channels were not clear. The internet did not work for most of the time. When I complained they put me onto their support team who were not able to solve the problem. I was supposed to be staying there for 5 nights. I decided to check out a day earlier because the Hyatt regency in downtown Houston was giving me a better deal. To my surprise, while checking out i realized that they had hiked up my rates. My rates went up by $30 for each night. They said this is because the rate i originally had was for 5 nights. They were not willing to be flexible on this. Overall a forgettable experience. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank alti_arun
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We spent a week here and were highly pleased. Service and staff attitude could not be any better. Transportation to and from medical center every half hour was always on time...exceptional customer service.

Breakfast is included and is the best I have ever seen anywhere. Different menu every day and quite good as well! Also, there is a Kroger grocery store next door.

I highly recommend this hotel. I cannot think of anything to improve it.

Room Tip: Any would be fine except you may not want right next to the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan F
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very clean and comfortable. Close to the Medical Center. Breakfast and evening happy hour were outstanding. The Residence Inn staff were always willing to help with directions and places to eat. We like to stay at Marriott properties and the majority of the time choose the Residence Inn. We like the kitchen and all the amenities they provide with the room. Also, the Inn is next door to the Kroger's supermarket just a quarter block away.

Room Tip: Try and get a lower floor. Each building has two floors, no elevator.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

As many others have, we needed to be close to a Medical Center hospital for a couple of days. When traveling on business, I often stay at a Marriott -- and often choose Residence Inn. I was confused recently when I had booked my wife into a different Residence Inn in Houston. She said it was dirty and out-of-date. (I don't recall which one that was.) This Medical Center RI is in bad need of a total make-over. We checked in around 3pm. Changed clothes and went out by the pool for a bit. It was nice enough but the spa jets were nothing but a dribble. OK. Went back to the room and changed clothes and went down for the manager's reception -- or whatever it is called. Other RI's I've stayed in have had quite a variety of food and of pretty good quality. This was pretty disappointing. Cold cuts, buns and chips. (The following night was chips and dip.) We were okay with the snacks. Went back to the room to change. Then went to the nearby grocery store. Returned. I opened the refrigerator to put away a few drinks.....and to my utter amazement, found a left-over to-go box of mexican food. Disgusting. I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels. I have never found the previous guest's food in the refrigerator. A call to the manager provided little comfort. I asked that housekeeping be sent up to clean the refrigerator....they're gone, can't do that. Would it be better if we just checked out, I asked. Sure, if you want to. That's fine. How about moving us to a clean room. Oh, yeah, I guess we can do that. No apology, no offer of 'dinner is on me' or a discount on the room (and we paid a hefty price) or anything. We moved to a different room. Marriott would be wise to inspect this place once in a while. It is clearly not up to Marriott's standards....and I don't think it has to be since there are relatively few hotels close to the medical center so they don't have a problem filling them -- in spite of their poor management. I noticed that Ray G gave the place a 2; I was being kind with my 3 -- Ray obviously stays at Marriott quite a bit also. So, I'm not the only one who thinks this place is below par. (Isn't it the ratty hotels like this one what nearly put Holiday Inn under? 25 years ago, HI was my first pick. I never stay there. Marriott, you could be next on my 'do not stay there' list.)

Room Tip: Courtyard is next door. Maybe it would be a better choice.
1  Thank swtrader
Reviewed August 12, 2013

When i called the Springhill suites closer to the VA hospital to ask why they were not showing on our Marriott points reservation site, they said they were booked up but helped me get reservations at the Residence Inn. We arrived from a long drive and getting a depressing report at the VA so the cheerfulness of the staff was very comforting. With the complementary hour hour snacks we really didn't need to go back out for dinner although there are several restaurants within a few blocks.They are in walking distance but I wouldn't do it after dark(due to crazy traffic more than crime) or in summer mid day heat. We usually don't choose hotels the don't have inside entries but this was more like apartments or condos. With Kroger and Target just down the road you can stock the kitchen which has all the equipment you'll need. All this and a full breakfast for less than most of the hospital area hotels.
A big plus was the hospital shuttle. It has taken over an hour to find Parking at the VA, so a shuttle will save you time even if you have to wait for it.
only negative was slow internet one evening.It was not as stylish as the Springhill suites but offers more homey features. We didn't use the fireplace in the humid hot Houston summertime and were too exhausted to even go to the pool.

Room Tip: try to get rooms closer to the lobby for happy hour and breakfast
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had a 1 night stop in Houston and decided to go to Residence Inn. I have never been wrong in this choice. This was very nice and clean....next door to Kroger, Restaurants not even 1/2 mile, Reliant Stadium walking distance. Great variety for breakfast and I could tell everyone enjoyed it...taking food out to their rooms. The variety was very complete, better than Hampton Inn and I always thought they had the best breakfast.
I would definitely recommend to anyone to put their money in a spacious room instead of those chopped off Sheratons, Hilton, etc. You only give them your money...and they give you nothing in return but a "long....long bill".

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side...you can walk to Kroger through the gate and not have far with your bag...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo