“Poor Customer Service, Loud Parking Lot”

and 1 more site!
Residence Inn Houston Medical Center/NRG Park
Ranked #251 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 32 nights. I checked out for a week in the middle of my reservation for an emergency and asked if I could check back in the next Sunday. I was told YES, we have you down for 42 nights. I told the manager Barry, that is great. I want to make sure I have a room during the Rodeo week. When I went to check back in they had no reservation and let me stay one night. The morning manager could do nothing and did not call Barry the manager and placed the responsibility on me to call him back. I asked if Barry could call me and they said OK. But I had to ask. Barry returned my call and said that wasn't the conversation we had and he would only take responsibility and that I could not stay in my room because they were booked. I asked them to zip up my luggage because I was at work, and they did, but left it in the lobby unattended with my coat, jacket and sweat pants flung across my luggage. I asked the front desk for a number to call and they gave me the number to the property management company. This hotel never asked if I needed help booking another hotel. It took me several hours to find a hotel. My issue is the manager never took ownership and threw me out with no regard at all. I sent a letter to the Mariott customer service and they forwarded my complaint back to the hotel management and refused to speak with me. I told them I didn't want compensaton and that this is an area where there are very ill people who I am more concerned about.

Now, for convenience and a full kitchen the hotel is fine. Just don't expect to be treated honestly or fairly. Always, always have a confirmation in your hand if you make any changes to your reservation. And remember that when it is busy season the hotel just doesn't care. If you can get a room and keep it, then go for it. This hotel knows that it's a busy area and plays just plain hard ball no matter who you are.

Up until this incident the hotel was nice and I was happy with the kitchen. If you are truly ill and traveling to this medical area and need someone to work with you I recommend The Holiday Inn on Main, The Hampton Inn or the Hilton. The Springhill Suites management is also very cooperative and accommodating. They take very good care of their regulars.

This was so outrageous that I felt it necessary to post this. I tried to work it out with the hotel first, but it just wasn't possible. I have been traveling for 6 years and have complained perhaps twice and both of those times it was in Houston.

Room Tip: The food at night was awfu. The breakfast is good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank merishore25

Reviewed January 20, 2013

If you want a nice hotel close to the Reliant or Medical Center you can bet your chances are pretty good with this one. The parking lot was well lit, the rooms had full service kitchens with everything you needed to cook and eat, right next door to a Kroger's so picking up a few items were easy. The breakfast buffet was your usual hotel standard but still nice and "free". It had plenty to choose from and offered hot and cold items. The location is perfect and there is a free shuttle to the medical center if you need it. I would recommend this hotel to anybody for a quick visit or a long stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I wasn't a fan of this hotel. We stayed here for the recent Bowl Game at Reliant Stadium and it is a lengthly but doable walk. You can avoid the cost of parking this way. The hotel it self was seperated like small apartment buildings. The "suites" were clean, but old. The kitchen area and bathrooms were clean as well. I guess for the price of $89 per night, I shouldn't complain, but to be honest I was a little underwhelmed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jrm4013
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel and was very pleased with the stay. The rooms were nice as well as the service attendants. The only problem i seen was trying to make a turn into the parking lot from main street but we figured out how to get around that problem. Overall the hotel is a very nice place to stay especially for the price and hot breakfast. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Hotel is old and dated but there are upsides: big space, full kitchen, and with the bigger apt you get 2 floors and 2 beds, one is a Murphy bed (2 baths also), shuttle to Med Cntr every half hour, really nice lobby/breakfast area. Downsides are poor maintenance (falling off gutter, chipped furniture, smelly A/C), garish fluorescent lighting, very little light in the larger 2 floor apts, musty bathroom smell and old furniture, can be a long walk to the lobby, very expensive for what you get. The main reason I stay here is that I can open the windows (in most big hotels you cannot), and there is a Krogers grocery store right next door, so I can easily get dinner there and its close to the medical center.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kydhr
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 5 weeks for business reasons. Since I was a guest so long, I feel that I need to leave a comprehensive review. If you are just looking to stay here a night or so, it is a fine, if a bit dated, hotel and you could definitely do worse. Since we met so many at the hotel who stayed here for extended periods, I will systematicaly review the hotel with my opinions on the different aspects aimed at those considering long term stays.

RECEPTION/CHECK IN

The lady that checked us in was rude and unhelpful which got us off to a rough start. Thankfully, the vast majority of our interactions with the reception staff were very positive. Most are friendly, helpful and kind. Unfortunately, there are just a couple that probably need to improve their attitude.

ROOM

I was notified when we checked in that this was one of the original Residence Inns and there were no units that had partitioned rooms. Every room is a studio style. The set-up is much like an apartment complex with buildings with several units and everyone has their own walk up door. This is quite different than other Residence Inns that I have stayed at.

We were hoping for a suite with a separate bedroom since we have an infant but that was not an option here. We stayed in a penthouse suite which we would highly recommend for guests with children. There is a common living area with fireplace, TV, couch and chairs; full kitchen with all appliances including dishwasher and disposal with a small breakfast nook and pantry; small dining area with 4 chairs and table; a pull down double bed across from dining table; desk diagnonal to the dining area and next to where the bed pulls down then a full bath. We actually put our daughter’s pack and play in the hallway to the bathroom as it was the only quiet and dark place. They supplied a very loud fan that helped with the noise. Upstairs is another double bed, small desk, another flat screen TV and full bath.
The rooms are very drab and probably have not been updated in 10-15 years. Furniture is functional but well worn. The beds are ok but the pillows are super soft so be warned. I had to sleep with 3 of them. The upstairs gets VERY warm during the day even with a large fan they supplied and a ceiling fan both on high. We usually just didn’t go upstairs during the day.

CABLE/INTERNET

Cable is pretty decsent with 45 channels, all the ESPNs, movie channels, and HGTV. Missing the Food Network though. Internet was pretty slow and quite inconsistent. Pretty frustrating aspect of this property.

BREAKFAST/RECEPTIONS

Breakfast is served daily and there is a reception Monday-Thursday evenings with snacks and drinks. We were impressed with breakfast. I am not sure I would want to eat at my favorite restaurant every day for 5 weeks. So the fact that we would still go after 5 weeks is a testament to the variety and quality. The staff are incredible. Most of the reception food is like tortilla chips and nacho cheese but they have some days with cheeseburgers. Nothing great but if you are crunched for time or money, it is an option.

HOUSEKEEPING

Gems of this hotel! Nice, attentive, hard working. No complaints here.

POOL

Really nice pool area with two basketball courts, volleyball courts and a grilling area with two gas grills which we took advantage of a couple of times. They have balls and grill tools at the front desk. The pool is even 8ft at its deepest. The grounds crew sprays around the pool every day so it stays very clean.

LAUNDRY

Five washers and dryers that are large and efficient. Loads are $1 for both W or D and I never had to run a load twice in either machine.

SHUTTLE

Shuttle is operated by Blue Diamond and is shared with several other hotels in the area. I found it to be very frustrating: long waits, often spent over 30 minutes on the shuttle, drivers barely announcing that they are taking off, etc. The hotel is a 1.3 mile walk to the closest buildings of the medical center (Texas Children’s Hosptial) and takes 25-35 minutes depending on your pace so it is often faster to walk if you are able. I occasionaly rode the shuttle if it rained or I just happened to catch them but found overall that it wasn’t worth the trouble. One of the most frustrating experiences was waiting over an hour for a shuttle but they always go the same route so they kept filling up before they got to us. After calling the hotel a couple times, they agreed to pay for a taxi to get us back. I viewed the shuttle like I viewed the hotel’s the slow and inconsistent internet: if it works it is a bonus. I would not recommend this hotel if the shuttle is a main attirbuite that you are looking for. There are also several rental car companies (Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar and Thrifty) a mile or less away.

LOCATION

As above, not too far from the medical center campus but you can get closer with other hotels. You can function here without a car as Kroger (grocery) is next door and a CVS and Target are less than a half mile walk away. There are plenty of restaurants within a 15 minute walk (Spicy Pickle, Long John Silvers, Chipotle, Panda Express, Which Wich, Schlotskys, Wing Stop, Papa Johns, Taco Cabana, and many more).

Hope this helps. Happy to answer individual questions if you want to private message me.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DaveLD
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, very good location, almost in the heart of the medical center, and right beside a supermarket.
The hotel is like a apart hotel where you have some kitchen appliances, so you can cook your own meal.
They also have a shuttle around the medical center.
I strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012