“Our Favorite Resturant”

Ranked #776 of 8,378 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I may be partial because this was where me and my boyfriend had out first date, but Oporto is my favorite place to eat. The atmosphere is cozy and intimate without being stuffy. It's really small, which we like, and we love to sit at the bar when it's available. They have a good selection of wine and their mixed drinks are great! The food is so fresh and delicious! We always get a selection of tapas. I have never had anything here I didn't enjoy. I love the crab and avocado crostini and the arancini. However, if you don't get the baked brie, you are missing out!

The service here is wonderful. Everyone makes you feel very comfortable and they are very friendly. Beto is our favorite!! He is very knowledgeable and always makes our experience enjoyable.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Oporto serves both classical Portuguese-style tapas (eg Clams alentejo, bacahlau a bras) and other dishes (eg Caldo verde), but also a proovides fine innovative dishes (such as the vindaloo), in particular in the specials. Also cold meats, cheeses, all excellent. All of great quality and good value, and with a great wine selection to accompany. The vinho verde is of course a must. Service is good, not so easy with a constant stream of requests ..
But a couple of pointers for the management: 1) bread is a MUST with tapas, and should be served right up front .. no need to be fancy or heated .. white bread is the staple that goes with tapas - it should be plentiful and free! 2) the café is small and thus loud as it is .. keep the music at a reasonable level, and consider something more appropriate . what about some fados in a Portuguese restaurant, or flamenco guitar perhaps?

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I had a delightful happy hour experience at the bar! We shared a bottle of half price wine - $24 vs. $48 on a good spanish Priorat, and split four different tapas - dates and prociutto, Italian sausage, chorizo, caprese salad (not so good). Protions good, sel;ction wide....excellent experience. we'll gladly return.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

After my first visit to Oporto (recommended on the web) I quickly felt at home there. This is a very small tapas/wine bar. Mostly filled with regulars and locals. The tables fill up quickly so get there early. I have been there on several date nights and also with a larger group of about 8. It is never a problem to accommodate just plan to wait a bit if you go after 7/8pm. The wine list is fantastic and all the waiters are very well educated about types of wines and make great recommendations for pairing. The tapas are the initial reason I went and they are great. I haven't had anything I don't like yet so that is always a good sign. Get ready for a loud and great night if you start off at Oporto.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I absolutely love this place. great food and good selection of wines. i love their happy hour. 3 tapas and cheaper drinks. A great place for budget dates