“90 minute shuttle wait”

Ranked #81 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Iowa
“90 minute shuttle wait”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

On Saturday night February 15th, I returned my car to the IAH Car Rental facility at 10:47 PM and took the shuttle bus back to the airport. Upon arriving back at the airport I called the hotel around 11:00 PM to request a shuttle pickup at Terminal A.

Three phone calls and an hour and a half later, the shuttle finally arrived at 12:30 AM! This was after initially being told it would be there in 10 minutes, then during my second phone call just 15 to 20 minutes. I don't know the peak times for shuttle service between the airport and hotel but I'm confident that 11:00 PM is not their busiest time.

Upon returning to the hotel, I spoke w/ a polite associate named Cheriti (I believe) and explained that I thought it was unacceptable to wait 90 minutes for a shuttle. She apologized by saying there was a shift change at midnight and the information may not have been communicated. She then asked what she could do to make up for the delay. After taking my complaint and information, she said the information would be given to her manager and she would be requesting that airline miles would be credited to my account for the inconvenience.

Aside from the shuttle service, the location is good and the sleep quality was very good. Just be wary of the timeliness of the shuttle service, especially if you are rushed to make a flight.

1 Thank IA_Hawks
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest: Thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us in Houston. I' hope you'll accept my apology for the shuttle delay. I'm glad the front desk lady was able to assist you. Our policy has always been clear, our Guests should not have to wait more than 20 minutes to get picked up and we'll gladly reimburse a taxi fare from the airport, no questions, if we can't do that, While the shuttle service promptly delivers hundreds of Guests each week, occassionally the service can get backed up- when that happens we want to make it right. We will review this again with the staff and insure this is being communicated. We appreciate your business and we hope that the concern with this portion of your trip will not dissuade you from choosing to stay with us again. Respectfully, Dennis Miller, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were scheduled to stay at the Hotel one night then take our flight towards home. Our plane was cancelled two days. When inquiring if we could extend our stay, Ruby told us the hotel was full, but managed to rearrange things and we were able to stay in the same room for our second night. The staff was informative on what to do with our day in Houston. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and back from a local Mall. Everyone at the hotel gave us great service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests; thank you for taking time to share your very nice compliments! The staff, and certainly Ruby, understand that Guests with airline disruptions often need some extra help from us. I'm glad the they came through for you. We hope you can visit us again in Houston and get to see more of what this area has to offer. We appreciate your business and wish you smooth travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Eulenbis, Germany
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I recently flew into Houston from Frankfurt, Germany, and stayed at the Holiday Inn close to the airport. I was extremely pleased with all facets of the lodging. The shuttle from the airport was quick to arrive; the staff at the hotel were every one very polite, courteous, helpful, and friendly; the room was clean, comfortable, and well-appointed, and had plenty of outlets for all electrical equipment; the wifi was fast and optimal. The adjacent restaurant was also superior in every way; pleasant decor and ambience, wonderfully helpful, friendly, and congenial staff members, and the food was great, both for dinner and also for the exceptional breakfast. Be sure and get one of the custom-made omelets! A special commendation and Thank You go out to Ruby at the front desk, whose cheerful greeting, great sense of humor, tremendous competence and expertise, and exceedingly helpful manner were all very much appreciated. She truly went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me in many aspects, always with an easy going manner and a bright smile. Thank you Ruby, and thanks to the entire staff for a very pleasant and enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: The king bed non-smoking rooms are very comfortable.
1 Thank GCH-Germany
Dear Guest; Thank you so much for the compliments on your stay! The staff really enjoyed hearing your feedback. The staff tries very hard, as you could tell, to take great care of all their Guests. We also appreciated hearing about the quick shuttle, the comfortable bed, and the great breakfast. We really appreciate your business and we hope that you have only smooth travels in your future and can someday stay with us again when in Houston. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've stayed here several times over the past few years when in town for business training. Normally, it isn't luxurious, but it provides a decent room and breakfast in the morning before I spend all day in meetings. The only issue I usually have is waiting 1+ hours for the shuttle at the airport.

This visit, I had the usual wait for the shuttle, just about an hour this time. They claim to have new mattresses. Mine was hard as a rock and lumpy; the pillows were also lumpy. My room was conveniently located next to the elevator and vending/ice machine, so it was extremely noisy.

This morning I went to have breakfast. I have food allergies and thought I could at least get two eggs cooked in butter as I have on past visits. I was wrong. The restaurant has only boxed eggs, margarine, and fake coffee creamer. They had nothing at all I could eat. I don't expect hotel restaurants to cater to my every whim or special need, but it doesn't seem too much to ask that they have eggs and butter during a week with perfectly good weather and no apparent supply problems. Those did not seem like extreme requests.

As I sit here typing this on the hotel computer (a plus, they do have computers), a woman behind me is complaining about how uncomfortable her bed was and how noisy her room.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest; I hope you will accept my apologies for disappointing you on this occassion; I do not understand the disconnect- no one should ever wait more than 20 minutes for the shuttle- we have always reimbursed Guests for a taxi- no questions, if shuttle service gets backed up. On breakfast we always have real cream and real butter available. The breakfast chefs know that and the server staff knows and should be responding correctly. I hope you asked the restaurant manager on duty to assist you: this allows us to quickly help you and also helps us identify and correct any employee that may need reminded. The beds are Simmons BeautiRest Plush Pillow Toppers. We receive many requests for information on where to buy them. If we can identify your room number we'll take a closer look at what might be the concern. While you have a choice of where to stay we appreciate that you took the time to share your comments. We hope that means that you might once again consider staying with us.
Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I would like to thank Angela A. for making my stay more enjoyable at the JFK Blvd. Holiday Inn. Our flight had been canceled earlier that day and things were beginning to look bad all over. Upon my arrival to the Hotel All I needed was for them to be out of rooms. Angela, after being told of the days problems, assured me that she would do what she could to make my day better. She found a room that was available due to a cancelation and that was the first step to more pleasurable day. She asked if I would need any toiletry items as I had explained to her earlier the airline had lost my bag. She fulfilled all of my needs this did make my night better after a really bad day. Thank you, Holiday Inn, for having such a dedicated staff to help customers.

Room Tip: Any and all are recommended.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest: It was a pleasure to read your very nice compliments about your stay and our associate, Angela. She is a wonderful person and we're glad that you noticed!. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope we can be of service to you again in the future. Wishing you smooth travels,sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was booked accidently near the Hobby Aiport, I walked in to the Intercontinental and requested to be rebooked here. Holiday Inn at first was not going waive the cancelation fee. Ruby was able to facilitate the cancelation, waive the fee and rebook me near the Bush Airport with another Holiday Inn since she was booked-up.

Grateful for her assistance and willingness to go out of her way -

1 Thank Farid Z
Dear Gues: We are very glad that our supervisor, Ruby was able to assist you with the changes in your travel plans. She is a very special person on our team and sets a great example to others. Often Guests require assistance and I'm frequently pleased when given a chance how well our team comes through for our Guests.
I hope you might be able to visit with us here in Houston and also wish you the smoothest of travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Red Deer
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had some flight problems and ended up missing our flight from Houston to Canada. The airline booked us into this hotel and the whole experience was just phenomenal. We were so tired after flying all day and sitting in airports with 2 kids - by the time we got to the hotel we were ready to drop. Carlos checked us in and he was so friendly and nice - it was just a blessing to have something go so smoothly after such a crazy day. We had a quick bite at the restaurant and the food was absolutely great, our server was very friendly (can't remember his name unfortunately but he had very little hair:)) and the room was clean with the most comfortable beds I've ever had in a hotel. The shuttle driver the next morning was very friendly and courteous too. I don't usually write reviews but this hotel really made me happy so I'm taking the time. Thanks to everyone!

Room Tip: We stayed on the main floor which made it very easy to pop out and catch our early morning shuttle.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon P
Dear Guests; thank you for taking time to share your very nice comments and rating! We appreciate your business. Thank you also for the compliments about our staff, the food quality & service, and the comfort of your room. I know the the staff will enjoy hearing your good report and I know it will encourage them even more. We hope you always have smooth travels in your future and can come back and visit us again. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.