“Stayed here due to airline issues.”

Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport
Ranked #99 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Salem, New Hampshire
“Stayed here due to airline issues.”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

During the ice storm, I ended up staying in Houston not because of the weather but because our fight crew was late. So the airline put me up overnight.

I asked for a Holiday Inn. The one near the airport is great. Of course it might need some updating but it's comfortable and probably one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. And I just left 5 days at a HI Express.

When I got to the hotel. I was checked in by Ruby. What a personality. Happy. personable and very friendly and helpful.

I asked if I could use my HI awards card but she said since the airline is comping my room and paying my meals, I couldn't use it. However since I was a gold member, she said she could upgrade my room and she gave me a couple of drink coupons.

So I checked into my room, then went downstairs to the lounge/restaurant area and sat at the bar. The place was packed.

I met Rocky, the bartender. another great employee. I had a couple of drinks and a Reuben sandwich that was excellent.

In the morning I went for breakfast and had the buffet. It had an omelet station and I had some fresh eggs and a wonderful waffle.

I have to say, I don't stay at too many hotels near the airport but the people alone here make this a great hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest, we're so glad you found us after the airline difficulties and that the staff and hotel met all your needs. I believe the team here tries very hard to do a good job for our guests and I'm glad it showed. We wish you smooth travels in the future and hope Houston might be on your list of places to stay and visit in the future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Folsom, California
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel showed only a 3.7out of 5 on our booking through the IHG website, but the property was a very nice surprise. The location is great to the airport and freeway plus there is a restaurant attached to the hotel. The food was very good for both dinner and breakfast. The hotel and room was clean and comfortable with good pricing. There is some noise from jet takeoffs but not of huge proportions. We heard minimal auto noise from the adjacent freeway.
The staff was very friendly and especially Liliam Pereyn, who very helpful with explanations and details.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the opposite side of the freeway to minimize airport noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guests; Thank yuo for taking the time to share your very nice comments and rating about the hotel and staff. We were glad to see that you found the hotel clean, comfortable, and convenient, and the restaurant to be very good. We have also shared with Lillian your compliment of her services. Thank you for stayting with us!
Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

For an airport hotel, I think this was lacking in basic requirements. I was disappointed that it took 30 minutes from calling the shuttle to checking in. Breakfast only started serving at 6am - not early enough. The return shuttles were only half-hourly, and toured the entire airport.
The hotel itself is shabby and in need of a refurb. The bar/restaurant was so full that I opted for room service. I was told it would take 75 minutes, and to be fair it did. But that's hardly 'service'.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Andy S
Dear Guests; We appreciate that you stayed with us and thank you for your feedback. The night you stayed was when parts of the country had snow storms and many flights were cancelled. Our hotel took in many stranded guests who could not get to their desired locations. In the process it did cause some slowdowns in our services. I apologize for this. I hope that you might reconsider staying with us again. Respectfully, Dennis Miller, General Manager
Saint Paul
Reviewed December 6, 2013

In the 90's, Holiday Inns were a rundown affair and something to avoid if you could. These days, with IHG management, they have come a long way, and this Holiday Inn was very good. For example, I was impressed by the way in which the front desk handled my reservation, which I had mistakenly booked for the previous day. Although they could have charged me for one night for a no-show reservation, they were able to go back into that booking and give me a room for the night I wanted to stay, so I did not have to pay for the no-show. It was complicated for them to do this, so I appreciate the courtesy with which they helped me. They were also very diligent in making sure I got my perks for being a Priority Club member although my rate did not allow me to get points. The hotel itself is clean and basic with an in-window HVAC unit, although the furnishings are no longer brand new. The staff in the restaurant were courteous, although the free breakfast buffet I got by being a Priority Club member was pretty basic. I give this hotel four out of five, as it's not outstanding, but the place was very good for the price I paid, so I would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, we really appreciate hearing your very nice comments and rating about our staff service and overall cleanliness. We have a hardworking team here and we're glad it showed! Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We hope we will be your first choice if you are able to vist Houston again. Sincerely, Dennis Miller.
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

The front staff is great and very customer service oriented. The rooms are clean and beds very comfortable. The Good Eats restaurant that is attached is hit or miss. Overall great place to stay. The attached restaurant has good steaks but service leaves something to be desired.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dera Guests; Thank you for staying with us. I'm very glad to hear that the staff was friendly and the hotel was clean and confortable. Thank you also for mentioning that the food in the adjoining restaurant was very good. If the restaurant server is ever a bit off on their service please don't hesitiate to ask for the supervisor on duty. They need to know so they can not only help you but help the server. We really appreciate that you took time to share your feedback and hope that we can again be of service to you whenever you visit Houston. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The hotel is rundown, worn and shabby. The burnt orange carpet looks old. The hotel room door handle was hanging loose off the door. The front desk was understaffed. The rooms weren't available until 6:00 p.m. The staff was not very nice. The room was comfortable. The only redeeming factor was the connected restaurant Good Eats, which is excellent, but you could take a taxi to the restaurant and stay at SpringHill Suites by Marriott, which is similarly priced and far superior quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HOUAP6804, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest; We value all feedback even those that advise us of opportunities to improve. I'm very sorry that we were not as sharp as we should have been on this occassion. We try to never understaff, and our computer problem was actually going through an upgrade that was needed but took longer that day to complete than we had been promised. On the good hand, it will expedite our servcies in the future. Thank you again for staying with us and we wish you smooth travels in your future. Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I am a crew member from ccl and checked in at holiday inn intercontinental airport first week of nov. I just want to share my experiences in that hotel for 9 days. Ms. Charitii and ms. Sheena were very friendly and welcomed us very warmly even it was 1 am. They were really consistent being hospitable throughout our stay. Positive attitude like what they have is what the hospitality business should keep and possess. Keep it up! As to ms. Angela, very friendly and has the initiative to ask what we need. Thanks much to you! To mr.dennis, please, even if we are only crew members of a cruise line and we are not citizens of your country, you do not have the right to raise your voice as if we are from a jungle. I, myself, also work like you but we do not disrespect our guests as part of our job. Next time somebody holds the crew schedule, think twice what attitude you have to show. We might see you again. The rest of the housekeeping dept., I salute to them. They are so hospitable.

Room Tip: Corner rooms accesible to elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest; Thank you very much for staying with us and for providing the very nice rating and comments. We will share your feedback with the employees that you mentioned and I'm sure they will appreciate your feedback. We have a good staff here and I know they usually get it right. I'm glad you noticed. We hope you will be able to visit us again when in Houston. Great travels to you! Sincerely, Dennis Miller, General Manager.