“A disappointment ...Where do I begin?...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical

Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical
Ranked #307 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Flower Mound, TX
“A disappointment ...Where do I begin?...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

My husband had business in Houston which involved visiting the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next door. Since it was the tail end of our Spring Break, we decided to bring our teenage kids and extend our visit to Houston by a day or two. This hotel was selected by a business colleague due to its proxemity to Reliant Center. Other than being very close (easy walking distance) to Reliant Center, this hotel was a real dissapointment.

Check-In: From what I understand, this is their busy season due to the Livestock Show and Rodeo next door ( a month long event). You would think that they would be staffed up to handle the crowds, but it took me nearly and hour to check in with only 11 people in line. Every now and then a second desk clerk would make an appearance -- then dissappear somewhere -- but each transaction was taking about 10 minutes. All of us in line were amazed at the inefficiency of the process. Several people in line had flown in from all around the country (NY, Ohio, Canada, etc) due to the Livestock Show and the Black Eyed Peas concert, and I kept thinking, if this is their lasting impression of Houston, I feel sorry for them. Check out went a little faster the next morning, but not by much.

Although it was renovated in 2009, the hotel was built about 40 years ago, and the low ceilings and small rooms make it feel dated. The lobby, restaurant and bar make a good first impression, but sit awhile and look around and the first impression fades. One of the lobby plants had a huge pricetag still on the pot!

Room linens and furnishings were updated and the carpet in the rooms is new, but our "non-smoking" room REEKED of cigarette smoke. It only took one call to housekeeping, and they did come "sanitize" the room, which minimized the odor to a degree, but it was still nauseating to a non-smoker. The tile in the shower/tub was dirty and the double toilet paper dispenser wasa cheap industrial piece of metal -- (like you'd find in an old school) that was broken on one side so that rioll kept falling onto the floor, and the other one wouldn't roll, so you had to unwind it manually.

The pool area in the main building is outside, unheated and no hot tob. It looks nice from a distance, but unremarkable up close. No food or beverage service at the pool, either. Employees were, for the most part, friendly -- but many seemed not very well trained. Dinner in the restaurant was mediocre, service the same. Breakfast was actually quite nice with better service. The buffet is well stocked, nice selection, custom omlettes and waffles -- and only $9.99. (Free, of course, at the Embassy Suites).

The only place we received GOOD service was in the bar. Unfortunately, their ONLY blender was broken, so no margaritas.... but at least the bartender was great.

The going rate that night was $130 -- we paid $110 with a corporate rate, and it was still a dissappointment. Small details that just kept making me yearn for the reliable Embassy Suites. Which is exactly where we headed the next day! (That review will be posted next).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank LoriMcWood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

We were in Houston to attend the big rodeo AND to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our group consisted of about 20 family members. I booked the room online--as did everyone in our party. We got a special rate of $139/night PLUS a $10/per extra person per room fee. My husband and I were the only ones sharing our room--what an outrageous fee! Upon arriving at the hotel, we were stopped at the entrance and asked to pay $20 for parking (small uncovered lot). We got out of this by explaining that we have a reservation. Upon check in, we had to request a special parking pass & keep it in our car for the duration of our stay in order to avoid the $20 parking/per day fee. Leading up to our stay, I decided to have a near by bakery make & deliver a cake for my husband's birthday--it was supposed to be a surprise. Since we'd be at the rodeo at the time the cake was supposed to be delivered, I asked the hotel to put it in their refrigerator until we were ready for it. I coordinated this arrangement with the bakery and hotel. Both parties agreed, so I didn't worry about it. Saturday night rolls around and we've got the entire group gathered for the surprise cake celebration. I go to the front desk (this place does not have a concierge by the way) to ask for my cake. One of the two clerks at the reception desk goes to the kitchen, stays in there for about 10 minutes, and emerges with NO cake. They tried to tell me the bakery didn't deliver. We call the bakery--no proof of delivery on their end, so I demanded a refund for my cake. About 90 minutes go by in which most of our party retired to their rooms and the surprise ruined when another hotel employee walks up to the rest of our group with the cake. GREAT--they found it! I went to cut into the cake and it was frozen solid. I thought to myself: OMG if this hotel can't manage a birthday cake, what would they do with a wedding cake!!! They'd no doubt botch a big event.

As far as the rooms go, they were fine. Not great, not bad, it was a place to sleep. The food here was WAY over priced for the quality. They charge $2.25 for a 6oz cup of Coke, by the way. We definitley got hte feeling that the hotel was understaffed, and the hotel cared more about charging fees ($10/person charge & $20/parking) than taking care of their customers. We will never stay at this hotel again. There is a Holiday Inn Express within walking distance of Reliant Stadium that I wish we stayed at.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JLBGDallas_TX
houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stayed here for a girls nite out to the rodeo a few nights ago and you just cant beat the location. We stayed in the tower on the 5th floor. The room was very clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated... the beds are crazy comfy, great mattress and great linens. I saw alot of mixed reviews so was a little nerveous. One of my girlfriends had booked us a room here last year and did have to change rooms because the other was pretty nasty. She switched to the tower and it was good. This year I did request the tower going on past experience and was very satisfied. I was told that they did just finish renovations on all of the other rooms as well, although I cant confirm. Long and short is it the Ritz, no. but great for us and again cant beat location to Relient activities and the price was very fair, $126 with a AAA discount.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
victoria texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

Just returned from two night stay to attend the Houston Rodeo, the staff was wonderful, quick checkin, recently remodeled room was very comfortable, hallways needed updating but the convience to the Reliant stadium was great, just walked over no parking to pay for. Booked again for next week for two nights while we attend the horse show.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

Great medical rate, decent breakfast, and very comfortable beds, but on BOTH of our stays this past month we ended up in rooms that had very noisy A/C vents. Clanging sounds came from the A/C vents every fifteen minutes or so, which made it impossible to sleep through the night. Maintenance was called; however, the problem was not corrected. Also, at check-in on our last visit we were told there were no king rooms available. We learned later that day this was not true. An email was sent to the manager expressing our concerns, but we received no reply. Although we have upcoming trips back to MD Anderson next month, we are hesitant to book again at this property. It's like they say, "Twice burned, forever shy."

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HOUCP, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
I do apologize that your experience with our hotel was not up to standard regarding your a/c vent in your hotel room, we would have been more than happy to move you to a different room. Please keep that in mind for any of your future visits to our hotel. Regarding the medical rate, it is for a standard room (2 double beds) should you request a king room in the future we would be more than happy to accommodate your wishes (additional charges would apply). I hope that you consider staying at our hotel again in the future so that you can experience our Crowne Plaza hospitality!
baton rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

I traveled alone to Houston for my grand daughters heart surgery at TCH, this hotel was more than accommodating. I felt very safe, the staff was so nice, the room was very clean, it looked like the bathroom had recently been remodeled, looked like new. A very generous medical discount is available along with a free full breakfast & extended checkout for medical reservations. I could not ask for more, I was very pleased with everything. This is the place to stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

This hotel recently hosted the Texas Hospitality & Lodging Association Conference, which I attended. That being the case I should tell you I personally didn't sleep at the hotel I just attended the conference(my company had me stay elsewhere) but my colleague did stay there and she loved it. The food & beverage managers, stewards, chef, and kitchen staff truly out did themselves. The hotel grounds are gated, guarded, and very well maintained. The conference area also was resplendent. The conference rooms had tables set up with multiple pitchers of softened ice water and very clean glasses, crisp linens, and candy dishes. They pulled out all of the stops serving lunch, all sit down with waiters in tuxes, table set with more silverware then some people know what to do with, and a different center piece/theme on the table for each meal. The food served would rival any 4star restaurant. I know it is hard to make one meal and have it please so many people, I.E.- if someone disliked the mushroom sauce on the steak they din't just bring them a bottle of A1 they brought out a new plate (very quickly) sans sauce with the offer of a substitute sauce. In most restaurants that takes forever. If you are thinking of using this hotel for an event of any kind do it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business