“Reviews are accurate”

Ranked #303 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Lakeville, MN
“Reviews are accurate”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

For a Crowne Plaza you cant beat the price, but I don't think I have ever stayed at a Crowne Plaza as dated as this.

The Pro's- Great rates can be had. Staff is professional and sincerely hospitable. Restaurant has good food at reasonable prices. Breakfast buffet is plentiful and good. The woman that called after check in to insure my satisfaction was awesome, and offered to go to any length to help with my internet problems (I was way off the main building, and after reading tripadvisor reviews I figured I would experience internet problems).

Con's- The mold like smell is bad. The front desk staff was great, but also confused with directions to get me to my room (I carried luggage around way too long). The wait to check in is beyond unacceptable. Internet access is sketchy at best. The lounge is extremely dark with limited seating for meals.

I had a last minute trade show that I had to attend, and was hesitant to book here due to reviews. I did call this hotel prior to booking to insure that the shuttle would take me to the convention center and back daily. I was told "absolutely" over the phone. The problem is that I was at the downtown convention center (10-11 miles away), and after arrival was told "no way" ( I offered to pay extra or tip handsomely). I was told that the confusion is they thought the convention was at Reliant Stadium across the street. There was no convention at the stadium while I was there. Taxi cost me about $20 dollars one way. With that expense included I could have booked at a much nicer hotel next to the convention center. I don't think this hotel is as bad as many review, but most of the bad reviews are directly related to real issues. I was told at check out that I was supposed to get free breakfast buffet coupons. I am not sure why the wait staff would tell me this after I paid (and tipped well) daily.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear psopsic,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

When we got to the hotel at 12 am they gave us the room 418.it was dirty, there were glasses and pillows on the floor, the bed wasn't done, leftovers on the table.
They offered us a suite and apologies.
The problem is the suite has only one small window and there is a terrible humidity smell

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank kepokomemolo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear kepokomemolo,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Karen G.
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2014

The hotel was nice but the parking situation was awful. I went to Houston just to see my brother and he could not even park in the lot when he came to see me. He is disable but we had to go out since he could not park there. That was very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear HEFMCW,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

We sincerely apologize for we fell below your expectations on our parking facility. We regret that this aspect has negatively impacted your overall experience. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, we assure you that we will take your comments into consideration to improve our hotel.

Despite your dissatisfaction, we all hope that you will give us another chance and allow us to redeem your confidence in the quality of our products and services.

Dhan M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Originally booked through Hotels.com but am reposting review here.

The only pro to the Crowne Plaza is its close proximity to Reliant Park, only a 10 minute walk door to door.

Everything else about this hotel is a disaster…service…management…room quality…etc. My specific complaints during my stay were:

- The hotel decided to have a live band playing in the lobby at night that you could clearly hear in your room through the paper thin walls. This went on until 1:30 AM…is this place supposed to be a night club or a hotel??? I spoke with the manager to see if they could play quieter, and was given two options…wait it out until the band was done or pack up my stuff in the middle of the night and switch rooms. Sorry to be a party pooper…but seriously, what kind of hotel has a loud concert in their lobby in the middle of the night

- We were fortunate to stay in one of the “renovated” rooms. I use the word renovated loosely because it was clearly a budget renovation job. There were holes in the carpet down to the sub-flooring, the bathroom had a disgusting drop ceiling was stained and crumbling, bathtub finish was flaking off, and the sink faucet was so cheap that I’m sure it would snap off if you weren’t extremely gentle

- Make sure you put up your Do Not Disturb sign before going to bed…housekeeping starts banging on doors at 8:00 AM. Come on Crowne Plaza, 8:00 AM??? They keep you up late with the rock concert in the lobby and then wake you up early to clean your room.

- The hotel lists free parking as an amenity when booking, however during my stay they were selling parking spaces to Rodeo patrons, when we got back from dinner we could not find a parking spot. You would think they would make sure to keep enough spots for hotel guests…nope...Crowne Plaza management fail again

- Although minor, they do not have complimentary fresh coffee/tea in the lobby of the hotel to grab on your way out. I thought all hotels did this but apparently not.

Maybe I have been spoiled by staying at Marriott and Hilton brand hotels in the past but this Crowne Plaza definitely misses the basics in my opinion. Next time I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 123ABC-Traveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear 123ABC-Traveler,

Karen G.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Not sure where to start so I'll first say that when you are checked in you are given a sticker for the outside of your car. WITH YOUR ROOM NUMBER ON IT!!! I was shocked! I was traveling alone. Anyone could see me get out of my car and know what room I was staying in. All the perimeter security doors were not locked(broken) as they were intended to be. These two things made me feel very unsafe. The location to the rodeo was amazing. We walked straight across with no issues. The staff was very friendly everywhere we encountered them. The food was pretty good. I enjoyed room service a few times and the restaurant for a dinner. They staff were great! The room we stayed in was clean and the bedding looked nice and inviting. I was surprised to see a small window (near the floor) taped up with silver duct tape. Unfortunately, an eye sore such as a duct taped window ruins the ambiance of the entire room. Because of this particular hotel, I will be very hesitant to stay at any Crowne Plaza from here on.

• Stayed March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear LLHB,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff, food selection and cleanliness.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the parking security arrangement. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Do t expect high standards here. It is fine. In fact a friend would describe it as vanilla.
The checkin staff gave me the wrong room when I arrived (there was already someone in it!). Turns out it was a typo. However the room keys didn't work either!!
Breakfast staff were equally average. Pretty young girl clearly had her brain engaged elsewhere because the water arrived for my tea but no tea bag and the mug she have me had been previously enjoyed by another guest! Come on girlie wake up!!

Stayed March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We apologize for any inconvenience during your check-in. We're sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I booked a deluxe king suite 2 weeks in advanced and received confirmation via email. We arrived and the front desk employee told my husband we absolutely do not have a deluxe king suite in a rude tone almost in a laughing manner. He said the best he could do was two double beds. Really? We did not book a room to have a bed smaller then the one we have at home. Ridiculous. The employee was very rude and arrogant. My husband showed him the email confirmation that in fact we did have a deluxe king suite and so the manager made arrangements to allow us the room. The explanation of not having our room available is because people decided to stay and they were overbooked. Not our problem. This is the second time we stayed at a Crowne plaza and both times we had issues like this. This hotel needs a makeover especially in customer service. I will be contacting the manager or corporate office regarding this issue.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Charger58
Art Z, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Good afternoon!
I am terribly sorry that you not only experienced this during your stay but that it was your second time to have this type of action happen. Could you please contact me directly at azehnder@houcp.com so we can discuss your issues and hopefully we can assist you in service recovery?

Art Zehnder