“Trey Carnard on the potium”

Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical
Ranked #303 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Trey Carnard on the potium”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the supercross races on April 5th 2013. Our hotel room was clean, friendly staff, and the blondie tall bellhop was awesome. We didn't eat there but its 3/10 tenths of a mile to stadium. We were in the main building we had a great time! Will stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Miami, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My companions and I stayed here for two weeks and found the hotel, rooms and staff to be delightful. The beds are heaven, the lobby very welcoming and the pool and grounds meticulously kept.

We stayed in two different rooms, both located in the buildings (not the tower) and found both to be spotless. In our experience, the housekeeping staff was especially courteous and kept the room very clean. We loved the breakfast buffet (the waffles and omelettes, made to order, were perfection). We found the wait staff in the restaurant and bar to be very accommodating, polished and friendly.

The bathrooms are small, no question and we did notice scattered stains in the hallway carpet. For us, this was minor.

Our stay coincided with the Houston rodeo and with the venue across the street, the hotel was packed. Even with this extra layer of work, the hotel staff handled everything with aplomb and treated us with patience and hospitality.

We loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for the evening of the George Strait concert. Upon arrival, the parking lot was packed and we were informed that there was no valet. Guests had to park out front, check in, get their parking sticker, then self park in the hotel's expansive lot. No problem! The people at the desk were gracious, happy and they knocked out a line of guests that was about 20 persons deep within 15 minutes. We went back outside and found parking right by our room which was in building 6. This is a huge hotel and there are older parts and newer parts. We stayed in the older part, but our room was very, very nicely furnished and was a great bargain at 117.00 with our AAA discount. The bathroom is large and well lit. Of course there are fancier places to stay but we will always choose this Crowne Plaza as needed when we don't want to have to drive home from Reliant events after partying. We love this hotel. One thing we noticed is that EVERY single employee that we passed in the halls or elevators or interacted with at the desk was extremely friendly and asked if we needed anything. This made our stay so pleasant. We also spoke with other guests who were staying at the hotel for its proximity to the MD Anderson hospital. They all seemed to be pleased with the accommodations as well. As previously stated, there are newer and fancier hotels but we will choose this one because the employees are great, the beds and linens are wonderful and the biggest plus is you get to walk right out of the hotel parking lot, cross the street and you are on the grounds of Reliant.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank 3esplv
PENFIELD
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My visit to Houston was the first for me and was for business reasons. The Hotel was nice from my vantage point. I was in the main building. It did appear a bit "dated" and ,considering the proximity to the medical area and the future potential, could use a rehab/overhaul. I did read prior reviews and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as some had stated. But it is showing it's age. One real positive was the shuttle that would take you within a 5 mile radious of the hotel. I took advantage of that and it was great.Unfortunately, it doesn't go to the airport [Bush] which is a considerable distance away.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building and I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's not the newest...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2013

What I look for in a hotel: is it clean? and is it quiet? At this hotel: yes and yes. Is it luxurious? No. I am a caregiver with an MD Anderson patient, and this particular visit required us to stay in Houston for 14 nights. And because that visit coincided with the annual Houston Rodeo AND with Spring Break, we had few affordable options near MDA (which is also near Reliant Stadium).

Our room was consistently clean, though we did have to ask for some items that Housekeeping had neglected to replace (wash cloths, ice bucket liner). We had the breakfast buffet every morning, and it was consistently acceptable. Best food ever? No. But did it ruin my day? Also, no. We had room service for dinner (club sandwich) a few times, and I should say that their French fries are particularly good. Our room faced the pool, which concerned me given the Spring Break crowd, but to Security's credit, they kept the place quiet after 10:30pm, which is what was the most important to us. We were without a car, and therefore especially dependent on the shuttle service, and it was as reliable as the Houston traffic would allow. The majority of riders -- especially in the morning -- are going to MD Anderson and to other area medical facilities, but occasionally someone would ask to go to Reliant Stadium, or to a particular restaurant. The shuttle drivers were especially helpful to us and amazingly patient.

I can understand some of the low reviews -- we were not in the tower, and the carpets heading out to Building 5 are a little sad looking -- but the staff was never unfriendly to us, nor unhelpful. This was true when we first arrived, as well as by the end of the second week.

My one complaint is that there was nowhere to do laundry, other than sending out items for dry cleaning. This is not important to the average traveler, but when traveling for medical procedures, especially for extended periods of time, you sometimes will have needs. But the bathroom sink was very functional.

Note: there is nothing walkable from this hotel -- other than the stadium, and an Original Timmy Chan's. There is no convenience store, no fast food, no shopping, no other restaurants, no services, nothing. It faces a frontage road to I-610.

Would I stay here again? Possibly. It would not be my first choice, just because of its location/lack of walkability. But would I suggest someone NOT stay there? No.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear CatalogingExecutive,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am happy the food served during your stay was to your satisfaction. I am sorry if your stay with us was less than satisfactory due to the inconsistent service rendered by our hotel staff as well as facilities. We are constantly looking for opportunities to improve and deliver higher standards of service and your feedback is valuable to us. Your comments have all been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, somewhat impromptu during our move to Houston. All the hotels within the loop seemed to book, or ranged in the $200+/day rate. We chose the Crowne plaza after getting a somewhat affordable rate, and thinking that the medical center would be a good location.
The hotel is run down, with plenty of stains on the carpets. The elevator made a low thud as soon as we entered it, and we haven't been on it again since. The room itself isn't terrible, it looks clean and was comfortable. The bathtub is partly stripped.
On the second day of our stay, maintenance came knocking on our door requesting to fix the toilet which apparently had been leaking to the floor under us. They had to perform one hour of maintenance, and had asked us if we would be leaving while they fixed it? We said no, since we had work to do. More maintenance, drilling, on the third morning of our stay woke me up at 8am.
The parking lot is huge, and the entrances are rare. If you're unlucky enough to get back to the hotel late, you have to park at the other side of the hotel and walk all around it. Luckily for you, you might get greeted by a police officer, who you hope is really going to keep thieves away from your car. They have signs at like every four cars that states that the hotel is not responsible for damage/loss to your vehicles. Unfortunately for us, we've had previous experience where we had damage to our vehicle during an overnight stay, so we knew the signs were a bad sign.

The best thing you can do, is to try to plan your trip in advance and get a better hotel. It seems like most of the hotels in the Med Center area are a no-go.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marianavm,

Ferdinand G.
League City, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Reliant Center location and was extremely displeased with my stay, especially with the service provided by the staff. We arrived at the hotel at approximately 3:30PM on Saturday, March 16th and were told by the hotel security directing traffic in parking lot that we would be lucky if we managed to check in by late that night (as he said this he was laughing out loud). We soon realized why he was lauging due to the fact the check in line went all the hallway by the front and circled back to the front door. We then stood in line for 45 minutes and when we arrived at the counter we were told that our room would be a double bed room when I had booked a standard room with a King size bed. They did change the room to a standard room with King bed, but the room was handicapped (Room 2117) and we were not advised of this fact. This would not have been a problem except for the bathroom shower and faulty AC. The shower in the room flooded the entire bathroom when used (please see attached picture). The air conditioner did not kick in until the next morning and the room was uncomfortably hot all night. The room was located next to an entrance and all night we were forced to listen to a constant flow of drunk people standing by our door either screaming, laughing loudly and at one point an argument went on for a good 20 minutes. This continued all night long and we did not sleep at all. I made several calls to the front desk and it continually went to unanswered. When I would speak to hotel staff they were continually rude and sighed as if put out if I asked questions. When I asked directions to the ice machine they told me it was around corner, but they didn't bother to mention the fact it was on the 2nd floor. I had to resort to asking other guests for directions regarding directions to the ice machine.

The room service was the worst experience of all as we called 3 times with no answer that went straight to voicemail and finally had to contact the front desk to get assistance in placing our order. We placed the order of a pizza, cheesecake and 2 cokes at approximately 10:00PM, this order took an hour and a half to 2 hours and we contacted room service again several time. Then we had to resort to contacting the front desk again twice to get an update as room service would not answer. When the server came to the door she pushed the cart into the room and when I attempted to pay with cash she had no change. The cost was approximately $27.00 and I only had enough cash for a $2.00 tip but as the service was horrendous and she was not carrying change I really do not think a tip was justified. At this point she counted the cash and advised I could charge the food to the room which I explained I did want to do. She would not leave and moved further in the room with cart, where my boyfriend was lying in bed which made extremely uncomfortable for her to be invading our space like this when she clearly see that I did not want her in the room. She kept holding the ticket out and insisting I charge it to the room so she could have a proper tip. I explained the issue with the service and that I did not want to add to the hotel bill, but she just pushed the cart further in the room holding the ticket out asking me to charge it to the room. At this point I became so uncomfortable I signed the ticket just ticket just to get her out of the room. I did not appreciate being intimidated and harassed by your hotel staff.

My boyfriend and I planned this trip to celebrate my birthday and what was supposed to be a special night turned into a nightmare.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Holly H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Holly H,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston, TX.

Orlando A.