“Extended stay: acceptable”

Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical
Ranked #361 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed March 22, 2013

What I look for in a hotel: is it clean? and is it quiet? At this hotel: yes and yes. Is it luxurious? No. I am a caregiver with an MD Anderson patient, and this particular visit required us to stay in Houston for 14 nights. And because that visit coincided with the annual Houston Rodeo AND with Spring Break, we had few affordable options near MDA (which is also near Reliant Stadium).

Our room was consistently clean, though we did have to ask for some items that Housekeeping had neglected to replace (wash cloths, ice bucket liner). We had the breakfast buffet every morning, and it was consistently acceptable. Best food ever? No. But did it ruin my day? Also, no. We had room service for dinner (club sandwich) a few times, and I should say that their French fries are particularly good. Our room faced the pool, which concerned me given the Spring Break crowd, but to Security's credit, they kept the place quiet after 10:30pm, which is what was the most important to us. We were without a car, and therefore especially dependent on the shuttle service, and it was as reliable as the Houston traffic would allow. The majority of riders -- especially in the morning -- are going to MD Anderson and to other area medical facilities, but occasionally someone would ask to go to Reliant Stadium, or to a particular restaurant. The shuttle drivers were especially helpful to us and amazingly patient.

I can understand some of the low reviews -- we were not in the tower, and the carpets heading out to Building 5 are a little sad looking -- but the staff was never unfriendly to us, nor unhelpful. This was true when we first arrived, as well as by the end of the second week.

My one complaint is that there was nowhere to do laundry, other than sending out items for dry cleaning. This is not important to the average traveler, but when traveling for medical procedures, especially for extended periods of time, you sometimes will have needs. But the bathroom sink was very functional.

Note: there is nothing walkable from this hotel -- other than the stadium, and an Original Timmy Chan's. There is no convenience store, no fast food, no shopping, no other restaurants, no services, nothing. It faces a frontage road to I-610.

Would I stay here again? Possibly. It would not be my first choice, just because of its location/lack of walkability. But would I suggest someone NOT stay there? No.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear CatalogingExecutive,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am happy the food served during your stay was to your satisfaction. I am sorry if your stay with us was less than satisfactory due to the inconsistent service rendered by our hotel staff as well as facilities. We are constantly looking for opportunities to improve and deliver higher standards of service and your feedback is valuable to us. Your comments have all been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, somewhat impromptu during our move to Houston. All the hotels within the loop seemed to book, or ranged in the $200+/day rate. We chose the Crowne plaza after getting a somewhat affordable rate, and thinking that the medical center would be a good location.
The hotel is run down, with plenty of stains on the carpets. The elevator made a low thud as soon as we entered it, and we haven't been on it again since. The room itself isn't terrible, it looks clean and was comfortable. The bathtub is partly stripped.
On the second day of our stay, maintenance came knocking on our door requesting to fix the toilet which apparently had been leaking to the floor under us. They had to perform one hour of maintenance, and had asked us if we would be leaving while they fixed it? We said no, since we had work to do. More maintenance, drilling, on the third morning of our stay woke me up at 8am.
The parking lot is huge, and the entrances are rare. If you're unlucky enough to get back to the hotel late, you have to park at the other side of the hotel and walk all around it. Luckily for you, you might get greeted by a police officer, who you hope is really going to keep thieves away from your car. They have signs at like every four cars that states that the hotel is not responsible for damage/loss to your vehicles. Unfortunately for us, we've had previous experience where we had damage to our vehicle during an overnight stay, so we knew the signs were a bad sign.

The best thing you can do, is to try to plan your trip in advance and get a better hotel. It seems like most of the hotels in the Med Center area are a no-go.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Marianavm,

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Reliant Center location and was extremely displeased with my stay, especially with the service provided by the staff. We arrived at the hotel at approximately 3:30PM on Saturday, March 16th and were told by the hotel security directing traffic in parking lot that we would be lucky if we managed to check in by late that night (as he said this he was laughing out loud). We soon realized why he was lauging due to the fact the check in line went all the hallway by the front and circled back to the front door. We then stood in line for 45 minutes and when we arrived at the counter we were told that our room would be a double bed room when I had booked a standard room with a King size bed. They did change the room to a standard room with King bed, but the room was handicapped (Room 2117) and we were not advised of this fact. This would not have been a problem except for the bathroom shower and faulty AC. The shower in the room flooded the entire bathroom when used (please see attached picture). The air conditioner did not kick in until the next morning and the room was uncomfortably hot all night. The room was located next to an entrance and all night we were forced to listen to a constant flow of drunk people standing by our door either screaming, laughing loudly and at one point an argument went on for a good 20 minutes. This continued all night long and we did not sleep at all. I made several calls to the front desk and it continually went to unanswered. When I would speak to hotel staff they were continually rude and sighed as if put out if I asked questions. When I asked directions to the ice machine they told me it was around corner, but they didn't bother to mention the fact it was on the 2nd floor. I had to resort to asking other guests for directions regarding directions to the ice machine.

The room service was the worst experience of all as we called 3 times with no answer that went straight to voicemail and finally had to contact the front desk to get assistance in placing our order. We placed the order of a pizza, cheesecake and 2 cokes at approximately 10:00PM, this order took an hour and a half to 2 hours and we contacted room service again several time. Then we had to resort to contacting the front desk again twice to get an update as room service would not answer. When the server came to the door she pushed the cart into the room and when I attempted to pay with cash she had no change. The cost was approximately $27.00 and I only had enough cash for a $2.00 tip but as the service was horrendous and she was not carrying change I really do not think a tip was justified. At this point she counted the cash and advised I could charge the food to the room which I explained I did want to do. She would not leave and moved further in the room with cart, where my boyfriend was lying in bed which made extremely uncomfortable for her to be invading our space like this when she clearly see that I did not want her in the room. She kept holding the ticket out and insisting I charge it to the room so she could have a proper tip. I explained the issue with the service and that I did not want to add to the hotel bill, but she just pushed the cart further in the room holding the ticket out asking me to charge it to the room. At this point I became so uncomfortable I signed the ticket just ticket just to get her out of the room. I did not appreciate being intimidated and harassed by your hotel staff.

My boyfriend and I planned this trip to celebrate my birthday and what was supposed to be a special night turned into a nightmare.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holly H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Holly H,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston, TX.

Orlando A.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Please allow me to begin saying that we stay with the IHG Hotel group(Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Indigo, etc.) often, my family being Platinum Priority members. This hotel was awful.... I booked it because it was in so close proximity to Reliant for the Houston Rodeo, for that it was good. But that was all that was good about it. The lobby is nice, clean, well maintained, but it ends there. The hallways are rooms are confusing. They have numerous buildings, and 1 elevator within 3 buildings housing 100's of rooms per building. You literally walk all over Gods green earth to get to your blah dirty room, passing all sorys of carpet stains, old room service left out, oh!! and hair weave on the floor! The rooms were dirty, and in desperate need of a hasmat team to come in and fumigate... literally. Once we we're ready to lay in beds, we folded back covers to see ants, dirt, and hair all over them. Immediatly calling the front desk they said they we're going to either move us or have someone come change linens. 20 minutes later someone knocked to hand us sheets to change beds ourselves, after several more calls... 2 ladies showed up to change bedding, to only have to throw out pillows due to blood stains that we hand't initially saw, and were even finding the pillow cases they brought in to still be dirty. I couldn't wait to leave this place!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank kmfrioux
houcp-admin, Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Holly H

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the overall service of the hotel may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason your comments will surely be addressed with the security, room service, and engineering and front desk staff. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and rest assured your input will be discussed with our management team. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations and for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced. Please feel free to personally contact us so that we can make things right for you. (rcortinaz@houcp.com) Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a great location, walking distance to Reliant stadium. However, the hotel really needs a renovation, and the floors need serious cleaning. Having said that, I would stay here again if I were going to an event at Reliant for the free parking and close proximity.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Kathleen H

It is not always just because it there and because we have to except it, but because we appreciate everything that it has to offer. We certainly recognize the areas in where improvement is needed and a timeline has been in place to correct these items. Most of all of the common area carpets are scheduled to be replaced within the next six months and new furniture and linens have also been ordered. This will help improve the condition of the hotel. Our landscaping is also on a weekly schedule. Projects, both inside and outside are in place to help improve the overall appearance of the entire property. Our guests are very important and we want to make sure that their expectations are met. We are still one of the few hotels that continue to offer free parking to our guest. It is also well noted that on some special events there is a small fee for extra vehicles parking. For whatever reason brings you back to Houston Tx. you are more than welcome to come and be our guest. Once again thank you very very much. Good Luck in all of you ventures.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had to stay here as there were no other available rooms in town. The fact that they did have a vacancy despite being next door to the stadium and the very popular rodeo should say it all. Room was dirty, the toilet didn't flush, and the staff was rude. It would be acceptable if I was paying $60 a night but I paid $200 per night!! DO NOT STAY HERE.. Well unless there are no other vacancies in town.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank grandipiska
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear grandipiska,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that note please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the overall cleanliness of the room may have caused. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason your comments will certainly be looked into.

As for the rates, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense.

Nevertheless, I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured that these will be shared to our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

We appreciate your loyalty and hope that you will give us the pleasure of hosting you again on your next visit.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for the HLSR BBQ cookoff. Those of you who have been know it's a crazy fun but busy weekend. I chase the Crowne Plaza because it was across the street from the cookoff at Reliant and would be much more convenient than fighting the crowds to drive home. Check in did not take too long considering the crowds. The room was clean and nice and housekeeping was on track. The reasons I give them 3 stars rating is that the room service was pretty bad. Only thing we ordered was breakfast each morning but was always messed up. The guy who answered the phone couldn't understand me (he was hispanic). Another guy called back a could time to make sure the order was right (the order was very simple straight from the menu) but it still came wrong. Also, the "20 min" wait was more like an hour and a half. I would still recommend this hotel but it was a little pricy for the service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Chris J,

Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center as your hotel preference. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the facilities and the location of the hotel. However, we are sorry to hear that the room service you received was less than satisfactory. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P