Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical
$127
$239
Preferred Hotels
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$99
$169
Hilton.com
$169
  • Pool
Omni Houston Hotel Westside(Houston)(Great Value!)
$159
$149
$105
galahotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewsmd andersonmedical centermedical ratehotel restaurantfree shuttlekirbycancer
Reviewed November 30, 2012

There are 2 Crowne Plaza's on Kirby - one at 59 and one at 610 about 6 miles apart. I thought I had booked the other one (59) where I've stayed before, so when I pulled up and saw it wasn't the same place, I realized I made an error. I have to say the room itself was fine - clean, and acceptable, and they let me check in around 10:00 AM when my flight landed, so I could work all day from my room. The fitness center, which I did not use was large, and the staff was overall pretty friendly.

The thing that threw me, and my main reason for my not returning was the police / security presence in the parking lot. After dark, when I pulled in both evenings there were 2 cars, with lights on to ensure they had a clear presence, and another officer / guard - (all had guns), riding his bike throughout the parking lot. I actually felt safe, and even went for a run behind the hotel - which is right next to Reliant Stadium - but I couldn't help but wonder - these guys must know something that I don't.

In all of my years traveling and in all of the cities I've visited, I've never seen something like that, so it threw me. Maybe there is a specific individual they are keeping their eyes out for, so it may be a one time thing, but I'm not going to find out. I'll stay closer to the other hotel next time.

Also, I did not care for the breakfast buffet at all. One of the pans of scrambled eggs were cold when I bit into them - so I told the server, who told one of the kitchen staff, who came out and simply stirred up the eggs in the pan. Maybe they usually stir these things up frequently and I've never noticed it - but I'd never get that buffet again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Atlanta Ed
Thank you very much for staying with us even though it was by mistake. I am also glad to hear that you did fine our property satisfactory. Crowne Plaza Houston near Reliant/Medical Center sit right in the middle of twelve acres of land with over 1000 parking spaces. We also have over 652 rooms in six differnt buidings. This is a very big hotel! On some days we could have over 1000 guest staying with us. The safety factor of our guest is taken very seriously. This is the main reason of having highly visible security staff on hand. The crime level in this area is not considered to be high by no means, but we do want to provide that extra assurance to our guest that they are safe while staying with us.
During Game Day at Reliant Center the activity in the general area is considerablly high. It takes this type of visiblity to detore any type of foul play from taking place. We appreciate and welcome you back for future Game Days'.
I also want to apoligize for the quality of the food in our restaurant during your stay. Our breakfast buffet is considered to be very appeasing by most guest and we even offer omolets or eggs made to order at all times. We still have a few more game this year and a few more next month and if things go well for the Texans. I know that your have a choice but I hope that you consider us on your next visits and allow us to prepare you and your guest a nice home style breakfast to start out your day.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I needed to travel to Houston to the medical center. My husband made the reservations. Due to Thanksgiving holidays I was not able to check reviews until 3 days later. I was appalled at the terrible reviews. I did NOT want to stay there, but my husband said we would just take a look when we got there. Upon arrival the outside looked good, but I was leery. Upon check in I was relieved to know we had a room in the 1,000’s knowing that was the Tower. We did get a room on the second floor and I did remember seeing a bad review of that. The room looked fine, but it was facing the highway and had a view of the roof. (pictured) We asked to be changed for a better view and got moved to the 4th floor. The room was identical. I was hoping we would have a view of the pool, but we got a view of the roof as well as other roofs. BUT we were able to see Reliant Stadium (pictured). Better than 610 loop! I felt a lot better seeing the room was clean and COOL…the air worked fine. We roamed around and took pics for Trip Advisor. 
I had read on the website the bar had Happy Hour every day. Well, it’s happy, but beverages are not! No ½ price drinks here; BUT they do have free appetizers. They had a small table with fresh fruit and chicken wings. Not bad.(The free appetizers were not mentioned on the website and were not mentioned by the hotel clerk.)
We ate at the Stetson restaurant for convenience. It was overpriced and not very tasty. (We did have an energetic waiter named Eduardo who seemed to love his job!) My husband had the fajitas and said they were not bad. Since I was having surgery the next morning I was told to eat hearty since my surgery would be late. Nothing appealed to me so I had the Cobb salad thinking I could not go wrong. IWAS wrong. It was not tasty at all. My advice is to skip the restaurant and go back and eat more chicken wings.
That evening I happened to look at the hotel website again and noticed they had packages with free breakfast or free dinner. I called the clerk and he said since I had the medical discount I would receive free breakfast. (not mentioned by the hotel clerk again.) The breakfast was ok. It was a buffet. They had plenty to offer: eggs, hash browns, grits, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, fresh fruit, yogurt and pastries. It wasn’t seasoned, but most buffets aren’t. It was hearty.
The fitness center is very nice and rather large. (I did not have the opportunity to use the machines, however.) The hallways were clean. The outside area is nice with a waterfall and walkway. We did not see the big pool but I know there was one. The area around the small pool (pictured) looked old. I feel that is where the bad reviews come in.
We did not have any trouble with the elevators. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Yes, the bathroom was small, but clean. A newspaper was provided every morning. The first day we had a delivery and received 2 bottles of water, 2 homemade cookies (oatmeal raisin and peanut butter..my favorites) and a plate with a small chocolate cake tied up in ribbons. I had no complaints with that! 
The staff was very friendly. I visited with 3 different clerks. I have stayed in better hotels but I don’t think this place deserves such a bad rap based on my trip.

Dear verySouthern
First of all I want to thank you for staying with us and I hope that your visit to the medical center was a positive one. These days we have such luxuries that we can shop for just about anything that is available to meet our needs. We appreciate and understand your efforts in searching and finding suitable lodging establishments. Most of the hotel in this area offer some type of medical rate for the medical community. I am proud to say that we have one of the best rates available. Along with the guestroom rate, we provide a full breakfast for two and free shuttle services to and from the medical center from 6:00 am - 9:30 pm. We have many guest that come for the same reasons and we have gotten to know them personally and they continue coming back again and again. We would love to have you as our guest in all of your future visits to Houston. We also appreciate your comments on the quality and service during your stay. There are many little extras that we do that go unrecognized by many and I am glad that those little things were welcomed by you. We are delighted that you took the time to let us know your experiences so that we can better our service levels to all of our future guest. Thank you very much and may you have a Happy Holiday Season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the staff of Crowne Plaza Hotel near Reliant/Medical Center. rc

Reviewed November 22, 2012

All I can say is terrible! I am an Airline Sales Rep and travel quite often but this is the worst experience ever! They didn't have a small store to get a bottle of water so I was told to go to the bar but they didn't have any bottle of water. The elevator was out of service and I had to carry my suitcase to my room. The toilet was clogged and the room was dirty. The knob of the closet was broken...all are dated. The staff was not friendly and did not even ask how my stay was. So I did not feel it was worth to let them know. This was my first time but last time. I will try to avoid all Crowne Plaza Hotel as much as possible.

1  Thank cocobeans88
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear cocobeans88,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I apologize for the services/qualities that you have received which is not up to your par. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note of your comments about the room conditions and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel has definatly been let go. You can see signs of aging without repair all over the hotel and rooms. The glass elevator that goes up the outside of the building looks like it hasnt been used in year, it even has a large plant placed in front of the door so unless you look carefully you wouldnt even know there was a elevator behind it. We were there for 4 days and in that time only one of the two remaining elevators worked for the entire time. Except for one period where that didnt even work and guest were forced to use the service elevator. The fitness centre was a shambles. Most of the equipment either didnt work or was missing bits and pieces. The only part of the stay that made it worth while was the fact that it was close to reliant stadium and the staff were great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a note of your stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. I want to apologize for not meeting your expectations in your room condition and fitness center equipments was out of order. We have fixed the equipments that was not working at the time of your stay. The engineering department fixed the elevator that was not working at the time of your stay. The staff appreciated the positive comment.

Again, thank you for the note and comments which help us identify areas of improvement. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes. Hope to have you as our guest again very soon!

We value you as our guest and hope to have you as our guest again very soon!

Best Wishes,
RC

Reviewed November 15, 2012

An okay hotel, room clean, bed comfy,pricing was high. Lobby decor was strange, parking fencing indicated we were in a high crime area, Has a good subtle service to nearby for 5 miles,

The name Crown Plaza implies more up scale quarters. Breakfast was so s.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple