“OK...but not up to other Crowne Plaza standards”

Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical
Ranked #360 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We traveled to Houston in July 2012. We were going to do a few activities in Houston...NASA, museums, and Minute Maid, in addition to a doctor's visit. We chose to be close to the medical center versus downtown for ease in getting to the museums and medical center.

The hotel is not overly convenient to the medical center, but I suppose close enough. Perhaps a 10 minute drive. It's right off of 610. However, if you are there for an event at Reliant Park, perhaps a Texans game, then this hotel would be ideal, as Reliant is across the street.

Check in was quick and easy. When we got to our room, it was overlooking two enormous HVAC compressors, perhaps 1 1/2 stories tall that sounded like a jet engine. Knowing they would run 24/7 in Houston in July, I returned to the lobby and requested to be moved across the hall, which they readily did without hesitation. And, as luck would have it, our new room overlooked the pool and had a balcony. I was glad we requested the change and their immediate willingness to accomodate.

The part we stayed in, Building 3, is older. The hotel has a high-rise area, then individual three-story buildings. The hallways need refurbishing pretty bad in the buildings. Carpet was old, dirty, and stained, ceiling tiles were dated and dirty. The elevator was pretty worn out too, making loud groaning noises on the way up. My wife and daughter opted for the stairs after one ride. This was a surprise, as the lobby was very nice. But, the rooms had been refurbished. Comfortable beds, modern TV, new ceiling in the bedroom area, plenty of overall room with a balcony. The bathroom ceiling was an older tile ceiling and only 7' high, which with the wall sconce over the mirror, meant mirror height was about 5'6"...not a great height for someone 6' tall. The first morning the pipes in the wall had air in them, and rattled quite loudly. I feel sorry if anyone was next door to us trying to sleep as we showered, as there is no way they slept through the rattling. Also, the first morning the water would not get hot to a comfortable temperature, it was on the cooler side. But the second morning, the pipes did not rattle, and the water was more than hot enough.

The pool was huge, over 9' deep at one end. It was a great area with shade in the afternoon. The plaster was a bit rough and the kids had bloody toes after the second day. If you have kiddos, take water shoes. The staff was good about keeping fresh towels available poolside.

I walked past the business center and work out room, both looked nice. I was dissappointed the lobby did not have coffee available in the morning. The room has a small coffee pot, but I like to sit in the lobby and read the paper while the family gets ready. We did not eat in the restaurant or order room service so I can't comment.

It was a satisfactory stay based on price, as thankfully, I booked the site through a website where you don't know the name of the hotel, simply the star level and general location. I was initially excited to learn we lucked into a Crowne Plaza, and the price we paid was considerably cheaper than the rack rate. But after going, had we paid full price, and especially if we would have been stuck in the first room, I would have been very dissappointed, as it was not up to the usual Crowne Plaza standards we have seen elsewhere.

Don't hesitate to e-mail with any questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, as they have a balcony and a view of the pool and courtyard. T...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BryanBoerne
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear BryanBoerne,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you found our business center and work out area nice. I deeply apologize that the condition of our hotel as well as your room accommodations and our location fell below your expectations. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I chose the hotel due to its location close to the project site. I arrived rather late and could not benefit from any of the amenities, pool, etc. The internet worked fine. When I arrived, they acted like they knew I was coming and treated me like a returning guest. I like when someone treats me like they want my business. The perks were provided with no question and I was upgraded based upon my status. I may sound like a snob, but when you live on the road, that kind of stuff makes a difference. The only problem that I had on arrival was that the parking lot for security is fenced and the only one access is off “South Loop Freeway, West”, the west bound access road on the north side of I-610. Don’t go north on Kirby. Based upon the area in which the hotel was located, fenced parking was a level of security that was not critical. I did feel safe. The hotel is rather large and consists of a tower building and 2/3 story wings around the pool all connected by corridors. I stayed in the tower which was fine. The quality of the breakfast buffet was average but there was a lot of food. I think it was reasonably priced. I was comped, so check.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dos7940
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you as our Guest at the Crowne Plaza medical Center, your positive comments and compliments to our facilities and Staff is very much appreciated, we value your opinion and take Pride in improving upon our service.

We have shared your comments with our Staff. Your kind compliments and your positive approach are the energy generated among our staff to do better every time.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My company recently scheduled a regional meeting at the crown plaza. We were a very small group but Angie Techmanski, the sales coordinator, was able to give us an awesome space to meet. It was a comfortable and yet professional environment where we were able to accomplish a lot! I love the location of the hotel. It is close to all the great Houston hot spots! Thanks to Angie for making this happen!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We have shared your comments with our Staff and Angie. Your kind compliments and your positive approach are the energy generated among our staff to do better every time.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

The hotel is located near the stadium. Although the surrounding area is not the best, it is very coveniently located with easy access to the highway near MD Anderson, Rice University and downtown areas. Didn't take more than 15-20 minutes to go anywhere all over Houston. Hotel lobby and pool area were really nice. Rooms were great with flat screen TV and upscale bedding
and linen. Bed was very comfortable as well. Nice conference facility - We crashed the fireman's convention party :) Great buffet breakfast which was included in room charge; however, you need to get a voucher prior to meal at front desk. Wait staff were very friendly. Only downside was small bathtub at noted in a prior review.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Nancy:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. We are strategically located close to all areas in and around Houston. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our comfortable bed and the great breakfast buffet.

Again, thank you for all your valuable comments which help us identify areas of improvement. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I see there are some bad reviews of this property, but we had a good stay. The room was very comfortable. The only downside to the room was that the bathroom was very small and the ceiling was very low. The restaurant/bar staff were great. Very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff were not very friendly. We booked 2 rooms and the clerk gave us rooms 3 floors apart. I had to actually talk him into giving us rooms on the same floor. Go figure. Nice pool area. The pool area was supposed to stay open till 10:00 on a Saturday night, but Security closed it down at 9:00. We weren't swimming, just sitting around talking. A little disappointed with that. We were just there for one night, so it didn't matter too much.

Room Tip: We stayed in the front building of the hotel. I think it may be a little nicer than the rooms in the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances into the light as these will allow us to reflect on improving our performance.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel with an uncle and aunt more than once a month for the past 18 months. My uncle is being treated for cancer at M.D. Anderson and we do have special needs including my aunt's inability to walk. The staff at this particular Crowne Plaza has gone the extra mile or two ever since our first visit in May of 2011. By our 3rd visit several of the staff members had learned to recognize us on site and remember the particular special handicapped services we sometimes need. They run to assist with any medical need whether large or small.

The hotel itself is somewhat run down in some areas and the rooms aren't always as neat and tidy as I would like. They have frequently run out of washcloths and overcompensated by providing extra hand towels. We have had rooms where the coffee makers did not work and had to request they bring one, which they do. The maids sometimes do not make up our room when we are there for extended stays.

Mosquitoes have been a problem on some trips. They can't seem to keep the mosquitoes out of some rooms.

Room Tip: If you want to relax around the pool ask for a room that's not in the tower.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Dear kimberly,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I will inform our front desk staff of your positive comments towards there customer service performance. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Diana & the Cleaning staff helped me find my iPad that I misplaced. They were quick & courteous! All the staff were very pleasant! Great Hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

We have shared your comments with Diana and the Staff.