“Should probably have a tetanus shot” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical

Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical
Ranked #303 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Kansas City, Missouri
“Should probably have a tetanus shot”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

This place is gross. I was there for a convention and heard over and over from the participants what a dump it is. The lobby area is nice and meeting rooms are ok and the beds are comfortable. To be fair, it appears that they tried to update the rooms, but painting over a hole in the wall doesn't cover up the fact that there's a hole in the wall. I'm not a germ-o-phobe by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't walk barefoot on the carpet. The hallways (especially in the non-tower parts of the building) stink horribly. The final straw for me was after dragging my luggage through several doors and down carpeted hallways, I actually had to carry it down some stairs because there wasn't an elevator handy. In the process of trying to do this, my calf rubbed against the stair edge which had a sharp metal piece hanging off of it. Of course, since I was wearing a dress, it cut my leg and still, more than a week later, I have a scab from it. There are much better places to stay in Houston -- I'd advise looking elsewhere (and for Pete's Sake, don't book a convention here).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank littleamen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear littleamen,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston- Medical Center. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
tazgirl64801
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stay here every time we're down for medical testing at MDA. The staff are always so pleasant and friendly. We've had to extend our stay after checking out & they were always more than willing to help us keep the same room we had & made sure we had everything we needed. When it was raining one of the staff members even offered to fetch our car for us. They have a shuttle that runs to the hospital campus - but it doesn't start until 6am and often runs late after the first departure so plan ahead! If you are here for medical reasons - ask for their medical rate. It usually includes a free breakfast buffett - which I just found out does include omelets & waffles but you have to ask for them! The "medical" building (Building #5) as I call it is not as up-to-date so don't expect the royal red carpet - but the rooms were clean and everything that needed to be funtional, was and it was cheap. We even had the battery go dead on our door key-lock so we were locked out. I reported the problem and it was fixed in less than 5 minutes.

Room Tip: If you can get the medical rate but stay out of building #5 you'll do great. The Rooms in 5 are...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your stay, and taking time to provide feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive . We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Kindest Regards,
dfw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband had appointments at MD Anderson that required we stay close by due to a required medical procedure. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights and found the accommodations and the rate to be an excellent value. The parking was also a great rate. The room was spacious and large, on floor 11. There is a business center downstairs with computers and a printer which are complimentary to use along with free coffee in the business center. Free Wifi is also available through the hotel. My husband had to sleep with an IV due to the early procedure the next morning. In order for him to shower I had to get saran wrap to cover his IV. The restaurant staff kindly provided some saran wrap upon my request. This area of town off of Kirby is one of the best for locating great food. We ate at my favorite which is Goode’s seafood and also Ninfa’s for Mexican food. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Probably an upper floor is a good idea since the hotel is next to Highway 59 (Southwest freeway).
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I will mention to our staff of the positive comments you had on our hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Do not stay here....filthy, hour to check in, food terrible, toilet ran all night and they flooded..could not use for 24 hours...thank goodness for adjoining room. doors do not shut to hall..extremely loud. slider to 'balcony' you can't open and not securely shut. service - does not exist. left us stranded via their 'shuttle' for over one and a half hours....no offer of discount or comp room, etc. worst hotel visit in america

Room Tip: seriously, do not stay here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jslauro
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear jslauro,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
Montgomery, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed her to go to the Rodeo and it was the closest hotel to the stadium. It was a very easy walk and very secure parking during our stay. The staff was very nice and the rooms were fairly updated and comfortable. I was surprised at how little noise from the adjacent freeway got into the room. However, we were on the 2nd floor and the band in the bar was right below us and that noise definitely got into the room.

Overall, I thought the facility was clean and a very good deal for the price, especially in consideration of the convenience to Reliant stadium. If there's no band or music in the bar, maybe the 2nd floor is OK, but if there is, don't plan on it quitting before 1:30am. Avoid that floor and you'll have a great stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor and you should be fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
houcp-admin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest:

Once again many thanks for your feedback.
Mason, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

We booked here for Houston Stock show on a group rate. Our room was in building 6. The room was very small and crowded, but we could have dealt with that. The floor of the bathtub was wavy. It was like riding a rollercoaster. When you stepped sideways, it bounced the shampoo bottles on the side. My 10 year old was actually about half scared of the shower. Also one night when we came in, our door was ajar. The maid hadn't bothered to close it securely. That was the same night we found a dead opossum outside the entrance. Unfortunately, they didn't bother to clean that up for at least a day and a half. My family has forbidden me to ever book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Have heard the rooms in the tower and building 5 are nicer, but they wouldn't let us have them w...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Near Reliant - Medical, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Rae Ann M,

Thank you for your stay, and taking time to provide feedback. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We’re sorry that you received accommodations that were less-than-satisfactory. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Ben J
IHG Care
Jones, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I am writing this from my Crowne Plaza room right now and it is the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. I had to call twice to get someone to vacuum my room because when I got back into my room tonight it had not been vacuumed and I even noticed a toenail on the carpet that was not mine! I wanted to watch someone vacuum my room to see if the toenail would come up easily and it did. This tells me that my room was not even cleaned before I arrived last night. The showers are fit for a 4 year old. The water will not hit my body above my chest unless I bend down. The shower curtain is too short for the shower so water got all over the floor. I couldn't help it......whoever install the shower curtain must have been one clip short so just decided to use that one clip or ring for two of the holes leaving a bunch in the curtain which made it too short. I just can't wait to take these bed bugs that I'm sure are crawling on me back to my house!!!! Please stay away....go to a Motel 6 if you must.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason A
Dear Jason A,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J