“Paid for the night but did not stay there!”

Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake
Ranked #211 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I thought this was Towne Place Suites, a place down the street in which I had previously stayed and thought was a great value. Planning to have a romantic get away with my sweetheart, I reserved the suite for 3 nights, with a late-arrival guarantee. I got to the hotel and realized my mistake, but decided to check in anyway. After waiting at the front desk for more than 20 minutes, someone finally arrived to check me in. I made my way down the small, dingy hallway to the room. The furniture looked old. The bedding was pilling. Only two pillows on the bed. Minimal numbers of thread-bare towels on the bars. The two-burner electric stove looked like something out of a 50's era dorm room. The room smelled...not quite right. The only positive note was that the place was cheap and gave free washer/dryers. $19 a night would not have been a low enough price!!!
I instantly knew this was not to be our romantic love-nest! In tears, I hoped Towne Place had vacancies, but it was not to be. They suggested Residence Inn. So, I got a room there, but paid for Candlewood also, for the first night. RI was $139 a night, plus the Candlewood $65, but it was worth it to not have to stay in that horrible room even 1 night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2011

we traveled here for an expo and vacation. through priceline.com, we were able to book queen bed suites for $65 each room. we did have some trouble with the system going through, but it worked overall. the first room we recieved was fine & normal. the second was unfortunately in the smoking floor. we reserved a nonsmoking room. the smell continued to reek while we slept there the first night. it wasnt until 5PM the next day, when they cleared out a nonsmoking suite for us. the queen bed was not bad. comfy enough. the room also came with a pullout chair. one of our family member slept on that throughout the trip. the bathroom is good, although we had a ineffective hair dryer. the kitchen in our room was workable. although we decided to rewash the silverware they provided. the cabinets were stocked with pots, pans, bowls, a measuring cup, spoons, and spatulas. there is no oven, but a microwave, fridge, dishwasher, and stove. in the room, there is also a small dining/work table. the hotel does provide high speed internet; cable or wireless. there is complimentary breakfast only available on the weekends from 6-9AM. there are bagels w/ cream cheese, muffins, milks, and OJ. there is a Denny's and McDonald's located nearby. the front desk is helpful and nice. although theyre not always at their desk, you can call them with the phones in the hotel. we only had one problem with a clerk when we asked him a question and gave us a false answer. there is a small gym & a guest cupboard and laundry that we went to every night. the cupboard is a mini convience (<--misspelled) store. there is no swimming pool. oddly, housekeeping only comes weekly, not daily. overall, the stay was good with an afforadable price.

Room Tip: suites are nice. you can request foam or feather pillows.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ihaveamustache
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Customer service is horrible So do not stay at this place

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I stayed here last night. I felt the price was not bad. I paid $105/taxes and all for a queen suite with kitchen included. The pet deposit was only $15 and well worth it. Residence/Marriotts were charging $100/stay.
The staff was nice/ very helpful. There is no one manning desk after 11p but they can be reached. They have a little supply of snacks etc that they sell at reasonable prices on the honor system. You leave money or write down what you got. Also gym/laundry/internet available. The rooms have dvd/vcr and kitchen well enough supplied to cook if you desired.
Nice clean comfortable bed/nice towels. Overall good experience. Mostly used by travelling professionals I believe. Felt safe as it is also next door to police station.
Nasa was right around the corner which was what we were there to see.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smilinggypsy
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Overall this Candlewood Suites is acceptable. I normally prefer Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn when choosing a mid range hotel, but given we were just looking for a cheap night to get an extra promotional credit, we were happy with this location at less than $60 this location is a good value.

We knew we would have fewer perks, but would also have all we needed for the night. Candlewood is a designed as a limited service extended stay so do not expect your typical mid range business traveler perks. However the location is clean, staff is friendly, and if you know what to expect with the Candlewood brand you will not be disappointed with this location.

I would imagine in most instances you would have a car at this location as we did, but if you do not have a car there are plenty of dining options within a 5-7 minute walk. With a car you have nearly unlimited options within 10 minutes. Right next door is a Denny's and McDonalds if you do not want to venture out.

This Candlewood, as all others, does not have front desk staff from 11pm till 7am, though they do say that they have on site staff all the time. We booked a studio suite and that is what we were given. If you are staying for more than one night there is limited housekeeping service.

The room and common areas were clean though a bit dated. All rooms have a nice size fridge, microwave, sink, kitchenware, microwave, and kitchen table. The room has a work desk, leather chair, and Queen size bed. The bed was comfortable, though the bed is very close to the wall on one side. The rooms are not very large, but are comfortable. The climate control system worked well, and the blower can be set to on for white noise while still using the air conditioning. The room has a TV, VCR, DVD Player, CD player, etc. The TV is a old CRT style TV but had plenty of channels. The free wifi service was easy to connect to and was relatively fast for a hotel. Carpet, furnishing's linens, and furniture are all clean but showing some wear and tear.

As for the common facilities, they have quite a few unique offerings. Outside there is a nice sitting area with a gas grill available. (No pool at Candlewood.) Inside, they have a small but sufficient workout room with treadmill, weight machine, bikes, and some other equipment. They have free use of washers and dryers to do your laundry. They also have an honor system for convenience foods - just choose and charge to your room or pay cash. Also, they offer free video and DVD checkout.

One major thing that I always find lacking at Candlewoods (thus the reason I do not choose them for business trips often) is that they do not have a business center or guest printer. Keep this limitation in mind if you are in need of printing.

I would recommend this hotel for either an extended stay or a quick on night stay if you are looking for a budget option in the Clear Lake area.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pcsanity
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The Candlewood Suites hotel was a pleasant and quiet place to stay in the Clear Lake area of Houston, TX. The room was a one bedroom with a living room and full kitchen primarily designed for business travelers. The room was clean and pleasant with a large kitchen table/desk arrangement for both eating a working. The bathroom was clean and the staff was pleasant. We liked the "Cupboard" / "Laundry Room" available to the guests. The Cupboard was one of the most well stocked "markets" we've seen in a hotel. There was a small, but well outfitted fitness room also. There was no pool with the facility.

The downside of the hotel was that none of the rooms had a king-sized bed. Only queens were available, and my wife and I would have liked a little roomier bed. The main complaint was the HVAC system which was a type I had not encountered before. It could "sense" when someone was in the room and when they were not. A placque above the control panel stated that it was equiped with an energy saving feature that could sense when someone was not in the room, and would save energy (by not runnng as much, I assume) when no one was in the room. It said to wait 15 minutes after returning to the room for the temperature to return to what you had set it to. The 15 minutes was more like 2-3 hours to return to temperature, and it seemed to think that when we went to bed at night, we were not there. I found the energy saving feature to be quite annoying and not very customer friendly. I would prefer to stay in a hotel where the HVAC lets the customer decide when and how it should be on and running, not vice versa. I hate to think what the room might have been like if the outside temperature was in the mid to upper 90's outside instead of the 70 to 80 degree weather we had.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel, but with a caveat regarding the poorly designed HVAC system.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2009

This Hotel is very clean, efficient, and well located. They offer a full kitchen, even a dishwasher! Found the staff very helpful, Marvin & Felicia went over and above the call of duty for me. If you have business in the area, this is your home away from home.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Businessman22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houston - Clear Lake NASA
Comfort Suites Webster
Comfort Suites Webster
#11 of 17 in Webster
Hilton Houston NASA Clear Lake
Best Western Plus Seabrook Suites
TownePlace Suites Houston NASA/Clear Lake
Sonesta ES Suites Houston - NASA Clear Lake

Been to Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake? Share your experiences!