“Thought I Was on an Episode of "COPS"”

TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake
Ranked #164 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Beaumont, Texas
“Thought I Was on an Episode of "COPS"”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Over all the hotel was nice. The deal I got on the 2 bed room suite was GREAT! Staff was cool as can be. BUT!!!!! During our 2 night stay, I've never in my life felt so afraid for my life and my families by the drama that unfolded. My heart goes out to the young guy that work the front desk. I pray that he heals from his injuries. My husband had to get dressed and help the poor kid till the cops arrived. Needless to say they rented a room out to a wild "crack head". This crazed man was violent running up and down the hall way naked as a jay bird. Breaking things, wanting to fight, saying very obscene things. Blood was from one end of the floor the next. He charged into our door. Blood was splattered all over it. There was a strange smell lingering in the hall way, in which later that night I found out he and his partner were smoking crack with a pipe. A cop came out and tried to see what was going on, he slapped the snot out of a cop. Even after being tazed, this guy felt nothing. He pulled it out and asked the cop was that all he had. The officer had to taze him multiple times. He was laying in the hallway naked, covered in blood. Not one time did we receive a courtesy phone call from the front desk warning us to stay in our room until the scene was secure. This guy was dangerous!!!! Nobody could control him. If anybody had walked out, they could have been hurt. Kids were in the pool playing, families were on that floor, people were walking back and forth. I had to warned an elderly couple as they were coming off the elevator. They ran down the stairs after they saw the naked man walking. My kids were screaming and crying scared. I had to send out a text to the other mothers on the track team not to come to that floor as it was the only floor on site with washers and dryers and we all were washing uniforms for the next day of Junior Olympic try-outs. That night 2 adults and 2 children slept in one bed whereas the night before my husband and I shared a bed while each kid had their own bed and TV. Needless to say the $40 credit was not worth it. They basically gave that to anybody. Even people who only heard of what happened, and weren’t directly involved with the situation. People who didn’t even have rooms in that building. I was looking to get that night compensated or at least a free stay in the future at a hotel in the Marriot Family. My family couldn’t even sleep that night. I'll never be able to stay at this hotel again and don't recommend it. Then on top of that the next day the other guy that was in the room was allowed back into the hotel after being released from jail. He walked in with a see through white jump suit that looked something like a painters suit and bare foot. I really felt threatened by then. I know he saw my husband standing outside the door helping the front desk clerk. Although we didn’t speak to the police officer he could have assumed it and started more trouble. Cops came back out again as he fled from paying his cab far. I told my husband it was time to get our children and belongings and get the hell out of there.

Room Tip: Main building second floor was covered in blood, and the proper clean up was not performed. I'm...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelingMom2330
, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear TravelingMom2330,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and thank you for stay in our hotel. I deeply regret the unfortunate incident that occurred last weekend and am truly sorry for the impact it had on all of our guests and staff. This was the first time something of this nature has happened here and we took every measure to follow the procedures for this specific type of incident by notifying the local authorities in order to protect our guests and our employees. I would like to have the opportunity to talk to you more and I leave to your consideration the decision to contact me at 281 286 2132. We do hope to have the opportunity to have you back in our Hotel so you can enjoy the common friendly and secure environment of our property and the Clear Lake area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel in one of the two bedroom suites. The hotel staff were exceptional and very accommodating. The facilities ranged from standard to good quality. It appeared very safe and convenient to various eateries, shopping and grocery stores. My only distress was the people in the upstairs suite. They were walking very heavily and when they were not walking they were "love making" during the late night and you can hear everything because of the thin walls/floors and the squeaky, noisy beds. This was extremely difficult to explain to my children and it deprived me of sleep. My overall experience was good, aside from the noise. The last impression was the best, we left out cash deposit and had forgotten all about it. They contacted us and mailed it to us. SO OVERALL I AM SATIFIED!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bullard, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Needing a place for 7 family members on our way to Galveston for a cruise, we secured two 2 bedroom suites for one night. Located about 1.7 miles off I-45 on Bay Area Blvd. Close to NASA and many restaurants.

Check in was fast and pleasant. Staff welcomed us and offered us complimenatary drinks ( soda, red bull, juice, water and Gatorade). Our rooms were very comfortable and clean. Each room had two bedrooms, each with a queen bed that was very comfortable. Both rooms had a flat screen tv.

There was a living area that had a couch, lounge chair, small dining table with 3 wooden chairs and another flat screen tv. The attached galley kitchen was well equipped with a full sized refrigerator, microwave, electric stove/oven and dishwasher. It would not be difficult to stay here for an extended stay.

Property had a small pool that was well maintained. Complimentary continental breakfast had juices, breads, muffins, fruit, waffles, yogurts, coffee and sausage/egg/cheese biscuits. Dining area was small with limited seating.

Overall, an excellent place to stay and sure I would choose again in future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank STM0041
Poughquag, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite while we were moving from League City. Very disappointed. Mold was very bad on the ceiling in our bathroom. There was also mold in the living quarters on the ceiling. Tiles were cracked on the floor in the kitchen. The refrigerator didn't work. Didn't keep anything cold. The main door didn't close. Had to play with the handle repeatedly to get the door to shut and lock. The outside door that goes to the outside didn't work half the time, they keep it locked, and your card would sound like it was unlocking it, but didn't actually do it. The A/C didn't seem to be functioning properly either, the room was relatively cool, but stayed humid throughout our stay. The walls must be really thin, because it sounded like the people above us were square dancing throughout the day. The breakfast is not really a breakfast. Just a couple of bagels and some fruit. It was not a good experience.

I did give it two stars because the beds were actually comfortable, and the room seem clean. that is always a pro!

I don't know, Marriott's Residence Inn is down the street think that is much a better extended stay type hotel. Keep looking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank fireflyrn1
Joel A, Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I want to apologize for
the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and
safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal
point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a
great experience. We also strive to ensure all areas of the guest room
and hotel are functioning properly and I am very sorry this was not your
experience. Please contact me directly to further discuss your stay.
Thank you again for your review.

Sincerely -
SooooCal
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We arrived late in the evening, with a flight out the next morning, so we weren't here for the long haul. When we went to check in, they had no record of my online reservation but the gentleman assured me he could make it right.

Our two-bedroom suite was simple, but spacious for our party of five. I did some work online while the family picked up dinner at a nearby pizza place and watched sports on two of the three large, flat screen TVs (one in each bedroom and one in the living room). The gentleman in the lobby was able to recommend a pizza place open late enough to get dinner. Also in the lobby is a huge map of nearby stores, businesses, and restaurants. VERY helpful if you're just learning the area.

We stayed in three different hotels during this trip across the south, and this one by far had the most comfortable beds. Towneplace Suites is designed for long stays and I can see this property being convenient for families simply visiting the Houston area or moving to the area to work at NASA or Boeing.

When we checked out, the friendly staff encouraged us to take advantage of the "grab and go" breakfast of muffins, coffee, cereal and juice. The breakfast room has just been remodeled. I suspect the rooms will be next.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back of the property for quietness.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank halobb
Joel A, Manager at TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thanks so much for your comments. We certainly appreciate your business and Hope you come back to visit us again.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Great price for location. Clean rooms. Smelled great. Im very picky and need my room super clean or I can't stay at a place. My husband was on business in Houston and we needed a location near his job and near the fun. I was worried from previous reviews and almost cancelled my reservations but I am glad I did not. Spring Breakers had filled up all other hotels in the area. Although this is not an extravagant hotel, it is tidy and neat and serves the purpose of having a clean, centrally located and affordable place for families to stay. This hotel is close to Johnson Space Center, There is a grocery store right behind hotel, Close to a great mall, restaraunts, 20 mins to Stewart Beach (across from Hotel Galvez is a great beach spot for families), very close to Kemah boardwalk (ride the beast when there!). I am glad we stayed. You must, must eat at Franca's Italian restaraunt. So good!

Room Tip: They provide pots and pans in the kitchen suites but they are not non-stick.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BeJennyBe
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Hotel is clean and staffs are very friendly. We have 4 families stayed there and we all loved it. Pull out sofa bed is not very comfortable but OK for kids. The rooms are very clean. Location is the best as just 30 min from down town Houston, 5 min to NASA and 35 min to Galveston beach. They said they will have hot breakfast by end of March.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Residence Inn Houston NASA/Clear Lake
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houston - Clear Lake NASA
Staybridge Suites Houston / NASA - Clear Lake
Courtyard Houston NASA/Clear Lake
Hampton Inn Houston/Clear Lake-NASA Area
Comfort Suites Webster
Comfort Suites Webster
#9 of 16 in Webster

Been to TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake? Share your experiences!