“A real surprise”

Hilton University of Houston
Ranked #70 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed February 16, 2014

From the outside this looks like many hundreds of suburban Hiltons all over the USA, but inside there is a real surprise waiting for the visitor and something of a treat. This is a hotel where students learn about catering and hotel management. It isn't perfect, but these students really make an effort and this makes a difference. Guests feel welcome, the staff are attentive and the catering is good.

I was there for an event, which concluded with dinner in a private dining room. The waiters and kitchen staff really tried hard. The meal was sumptuous in its scope, the service excellent and the overall experience really made it a pleasant evening.

Thanks to all the staff and students at this Hilton.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Front staff is rude. Check in was not what I expected out of a Hilton. There was no person at the entrance of the hotel to greet people nor bell attendants and no valet service. As I checked in at the front desk the lady who checked me in was not friendly nor welcoming. It seemed as though she had a bad day and barely said a word to me. Nobody never offered to assist me with my luggages and I had to drag everything up to my room by myself. The room was very clean and modern and the food at Eric's was delicious. I however never plan on staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kellyw819
HOUUH, General Manager at Hilton University of Houston, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the regrettable service provided during your recent stay at our Hotel. Even though you did compliment our Restaurant and Housekeeping cleanliness, we failed to meet or exceed your expectations in key areas of hospitality.
We thank you for your candor and ask that on your next visit to the area you'll consider our Hotel.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Parking was easy and free! The room was very large and nicely furnished. The bathroom was well equipped and shower was great. If I am at the University of Houston in the future I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for it's location. It is in walking distance of all meetings I had on campus. I figured I would pay a little extra to stay in the hotel and save on a rental car. I was wrong. There was no airport shuttle so I ended paying $30 to and from the airport. There was no breakfast included and the average cost of breakfast is about $15- and just a heads up one cup of plain coffee (not in a to go cup) is $3. The service is friendly but extremely slow so don't eat in the restaurant if you are in a hurry. No micro fridge in room so don't plan on being able to have some quick snacks or drinks. You can purchase those in the over priced convenience store in the lobby. The only thing this hotel has going for it is that the staff is friendly, the rooms are nice and clean, and its location. There is no value for the money and it would have been more cost effective to stay in a hotel down the street and rent a car.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed in this hotel because of business in the local area.

Unfortunately I didn't choose the location wisely because my business was in no way connected with the University (but it is conveniently located near the highway) and therefore I cannot recommend to tourists or those not connected with the University.

The location of the hotel is inside the University campus and for those unfamiliar the local area it can be quite tricky to find the hotel, despite the fact that it is a tall building with huge Hilton illuminated Hilton logo). There is a street level drive way and also an underground garage (first 15 minutes of parking are free).

The staff that operate the hotel appear to be hospitality students. The ones I had contact with were predominantly foreign (non-US) nationals. Check-in was painless and clearly well rehearsed.

The room was of a very good standard, well appointed and nicely decorated in my opinion. The bathroom facilities were comfortable and the free toiletry items were of a surprisingly high standard. Tea and coffee-making facilities were available, as was an ice bucket although I have no idea why since there was no mini-bar to speak of.

Room service was satisfactory and the menu selection was average. Breakfast the next morning was to order (ie, no buffet style). The menu could do with some improvement but the food was acceptable.

The hotel did not have any recreation facilities although the brochure in the room stated that full use could be made of the University 'wellness center'.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here with a friend for the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four in April 2011. The hotel accommodations were very nice. Comfortable beds, clean bathrooms. Was not in the ideal location to get downtown and to and from Reliant Stadium, however, the front desk was very good about getting cabs for us in a timely manner. Pool was small but functional. There were not any good/accessible places to eat around here especially when we arrived late at night and were looking for a bite to eat. Overall decent experience. I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Seems as if all rooms are basically the same. We stayed on a high floor facing the city and it provi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I am a university professor visiting the university of Houston to present a seminar, and I had a completely unacceptable experience. I stayed three nights under two separate reservations because my accommodation is paid by two desperate departments at UH. Today I returned from my day-long visit to one of the departments to find that I had been locked out of my room and my belongings had been dumped into plastic bags and put behind the desk. The person behind the desk then proceeded to talk to me as if I was a delinquent who neglected to check out when I was supposed to, and I am out of luck because they do not have spare rooms. When I showed him my reservation he realized that he had committed an error and substantially changed his tone. However, he still attempted to blame me for not telling anyone that I have two reservations, as if it was my responsibility to manage their reservations. I have never experienced such poor customer service in a Hilton or in fact any hotel of similar category. This is a training hotel and frankly it shows. The way that the front desk person handled my situation was poor to begin with, and the way that he communicated with me was simply unacceptable.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Carlos S
agrov375, Manager at Hilton University of Houston, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Carlos S,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton University of Houston experience on TripAdvisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion on our part with your reservations.

We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.

Please contact me at any time if I may be of service.

Regards,