“U of H Hilton Review”

Ranked #73 of 517 Hotels in Houston
El Paso, United States
“U of H Hilton Review”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very nice and convenient when doing business at the U of H. I was taking a course at the Graduate College of Social Work and it was great walking across campus again at my alma mater. I would recommend this hotel for anybody who is taking a short-term weekend course or attending a conference.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Easy check-in and out. very small check-in area. the lifts were creaking
The room was a delight . Excellent bed and pillow. Late night though one could hear sounds from the adjacent room - something like Airconditioning turning on and off
Very compact room but had all the necessary amenities including wireless handset phone
The shower was excellent and envigorating
Bath amenities were of excellent quality
Restaurant on the ground floor. The breakfast is good but you need to order it and it generally arrives within 15 minutes - made to order. Good portions and cooked to your specifications

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Denton, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Three things to know if you book this hotel: 1.Taxes are steep (they can't help that). 2. Also, if you book/pay with a debit card, they'll ding you extra $$ (I guess in case you decide to trash the room, or smoke stinky cigars in it) and then put it back if they don't need it. I'm still waiting for $25 to reappear in my account. 3. There is no shuttle to the airport, and IAH is far, far away. But the staff is wonderful, and the rooms are swanky and quiet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Troy, Ohio
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My room was awesome. Floor to ceiling windows across the whole wall. Nice bed and bedding, sitting area, two flat screen tvs, backlit lighted closet and nice bathroom. It is staffed by hospitality students so the service ranged from amazing to "why did I choose this as my major". Also, if you are doing business downtown it's a little far and cabs are not that easy to grab at the hotel.

Overall I had a nice stay.

Room Tip: Get a suite. Open floor plan. Lots of room. Very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
the dalles, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Service was good. Ants in a Houston Hilton bathroom...seriously? Hilton is becoming no different than a 2 star hotel, at a 4 star price. I would not recommend staying at Hilton. I would also recommend checking the towels both sides before you use them.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank Nancy M
HOUUH, General Manager at Hilton University of Houston, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you very much fo sharing your recent experience at our Hotel this past September. We appreciate your comments on our Service, however we are embarrassed by the condition of your guest room. We apologize to have not met your expectations, and we can assure that steps have been taken to prevent their reoccurance.
We value your comments, and we look forward to the opportunity of being of service in the future.
Respectfully,
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This stay was my second in five months.

My first encounter with the Hotel was devastatingly shocking! I had a difficult time marrying my various Hilton experiences with it. I found it hard to communicate and be communicated to; service was at best non-existent. Although they had large room grids for my choice of room, the absence of a fridge in the room was shocking (Houston is very hot at this time of the year). The sleep experience was superb, considering that the hotel is within a University .

But my disposition to the hotel changed on the occurrence of two things;

1. On complaining to the General Manager (Mr. Akash) about the poor service, he acted promptly and things changed for the remaining time I had to stay. He also threw in a lot of perks;
2. The plaque at the entrance of the Hotel clearly stated that, the hotel was basically a training ground for future managers of the Hilton Brand worldwide.

Point number 2 really did it for me.

Therefore, during my recent trip to Houston, I returned to the hotel. This time around, from reception to my checkout, service was comparable to any major Hilton worldwide. I had no reason to complain and I believe Mr. Akash and his team are raising the bar every day for service excellence.

Will I return to the hotel? Of course! Will I recommend it family and friends on vacation? Of course I will!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Plano, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Very quiet hotel. Nice rooms. Friendly staff. The only thing I didn't like was the glass door in the bathroom. You can hear everything! The night light in the bathroom was so bright we had to cover it with a towel. It was a beautiful room with a amazing view on Houston. I would stay there again. The next time I will bring a face mask and ear plugs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple