“Hidden Gem”

Hilton University of Houston
Ranked #72 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you want a great hotel in the downtown area, but away from the hustle and bustle, this is it. Great service, friendly college staff, convenient location, updated hotel, awesome amenities, great price. I always get a good night sleep here, can't say that when I'm actually staying in downtown.

There are newer reviews for Hilton University of Houston

Reviewed April 25, 2013

DO not and I repeat, DO NOT stay at this hotel. This was by far the worst hotel experience in my life. I understand that this hotel is a training Hotel, but it has the most unqualified people working in every department I have seen. Stayed here for a conference in January of 2013 for 5 days on the Hotel and Hospitality Industry. Step 1: Parking - Yes parking is confusing but close by and lots of parking with plenty of elevators. Step 2: Checking In - The gentleman who checked me in was friendly but could barely speak or understand English. He had issues finding my reservation and once he did, it took him 20 mins to check me in. He then stated that I had to prepay $75.00 for parking. Since my hotel stay was being paid for by work and not incidentals, I paid for the parking in cash. Checked in to my spacious, beautiful guest room, only thing I could say bad about the room is that the double queen (shared with a coworker) bathroom was only seperated by a frosted privacy glass door that didnt shut all the way (not too private). Woke up in the morning after sleeping great to discover that there is NO hot water whatsoever! Called down to the front desk and they said that others had expressed the same problem and they would have a manager call the room to apologize. Went in to my conference and enjoyed my continental breakfast and conference speakers. Come dinner time, listening to the speaker and a banquet server knocks over an entire stack of entrees ready to be server making a huge loud interruptive sound. All the tables were preset with coffee, no one came by to offer coffee. Went to the restaurant later in the lobby to enjoy a few cocktails with other conference attendees. 1 server in the restaraunt and it was busy. Took 15 mins to be greeted by another employee that hardly spoke or understood English and then another 15 to get a drink, food was mediocre.
Day 2, still no Hot Water. Went down stairs and was instructed by the conference coordinator that we were not to pay parking because part of our room and conference fees were to cover parking. Talked to the front desk and the agent said she did not has the access to safe and a manager would be in later and call my room to refund my money.
Day 3, still no Hot Water. No call from the manager.
Day 4, still no Hot Water. No call from the manager
Day 5, lukewarm shower. Checking out, spoke to the Assistant Manager and he told me that that do not do cash refunds but send out checks. I thought this to be very common and was not upset by it when he took my address and phone number and said I would get a check in 2 weeks by mail.
Called 2 months later because I have yet to receive a check and big suprise, no manager on duty. Does one ever work at this property? Left a message. 2 weeks later, I call back and the agent clearly doesnt understand what im asking and I can barely understand her because her english is so poor.
Now over 3 months after checking out, I have called the Hilton again and been transferred to a very polite lady who is the Executive Assistant to the General Manager. She said that the matter would be resolved immediately and the hotel would contact me in 48 hours. 2 weeks later and still no call. I am writing this in the hopes that people realize how horrible the service was and that I would not have come on Trip Advisor to leave such a negative response if I had received a phone call, letter, or the check I have been promised. I am a fellow Hotel Employee for another Brand and have stayed at many full service, mid service properties and I would refuse to step foot in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JeremyMatney
HOUUH, General Manager at Hilton University of Houston, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2016

We truly regret that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction, and we do apologize for not having met your expectations. We do thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and we will address their resolution.
Respectfully

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were there for my sons wedding. I thought it was a little pricey. No refrigerator in the room. But very nice rooms, good beds and bedding. Quiet. Good location Mostly foreign staff...not very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Comfortable bed, clean room, convenient location on the campus of the Univ of Houston. Food at Eric's was delicious. I would have preferred to have workout facilities on site but walking a block to the Campus Rec Center was fine.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Certainly one of the best stays I have ever experienced. From the top level front desk service to great in room dining, this training hotel in Houston beats out some of the most expensive hotels in the country.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The room was very nice The food was excellent (breakfast at the restaurant, lunch at the conference), excellent service, friendly staff. Everything was very clean. Parking garage was clean and well-lit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel one night every week during fall and spring semesters for about two years. I find the hotel to be excellent overall. I have become aware that a very large portion of the staff are students of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management. They do a great job, often better than experienced professionals I've encountered at other hotels. The hotel always has a refreshing smell but I cannot get any of the staff to tell me the secret! Seeing it every week has allowed me to see some occasional problems, such as a broken elevator to the parking garages, but this lasted only a week or so and was not the fault of the staff. I suggest that if you have business at UH, do not consider any other place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city. The view is spectacular.