“Quality with minor glitches”

Hilton University of Houston
Ranked #66 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed one night for a seminar at the University. Clean, comfortable room (nice bed!) with plenty of space. Squeaky clean. Shower temp was a little on the cool side, even at full hot. Air handling unit was a bit loud; could not shut it off despite thermostat in room. But these were minor inconveniences for an otherwise pleasant stay. Nice staff. Free wi-fi. Limited restaurant options with walking distance; Eric's restaurant in the hotel was decent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton University of Houston

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Attending a business conference at the University. Room was large with two comfortable beds and adequate pillows. As is common in many hotels, the chair and hassock were too stylish to be practical and comfortable, useless to try to sit, put for feet up and read. Would take a balancing act. Desk and work space were superior. Nice in room Lavazza coffee set up. Bathroom was superior. Spacious, clean. Shower was a water saver head, but worked pretty well.

I asked for late check-out and this was not a problem, also the screw came out of my reading glasses and when I asked at the front desk for some tape (yes, nerd-style) to wrap around the hinge, surprise, the desk clerk pulled out a tiny optical screw-driver. Be aware, parking is $15 a night for guests, but some room rates include this. Bar and restaurant food and drinks were good and service was very pleasant, but both a dinner and breakfast the wait staff seemed to disappear for 15 minutes right when I was ready to pay and leave. Might have been light on the staff. Hotel is a circuitous 6 miles from Hobby, but GPS worked well, signs are poor. Beware the security line at Hobby can be 40 minutes during mid-afternoon.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Professorgreen
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This is the second time I have used this hotel and booked this last time because of the perceived value.
Room is updated and staff is great ...but woke this morning to bedbugs. I travel alot for work and this is the first time I have seen these in person.
Staff went right after the room but... They are present :( so beware upon checking into the room.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Hotel was perfect. Recent remodel last year, rooms great, very, very clean bathrooms, glass showers, big vanities. University was closed, so ate in the ground floor restaurant. The french fries alone are worth a trip back. $15 cab ride from Hobby Airport.
Had a single room for my niece who was starting school, suite for my wife and me. Stay here....you'll like it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We only stayed one night while visiting the University of Houston, but it was very enjoyable. As part of their program, there are many students involved in running the hotel. They were very courteous and helpful. It is a very nice hotel and well worth staying at if you are visiting the campus or just in the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SuzanneCA84
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I recently booked a room at this Hilton for just the day, as I was in town for business. The staff was so accommodating and friendly, both before and during the stay. They expected me by name and made me welcome. They were polite and helpful. The hotel was very nice, but I have to say I was most impressed with the hospitality of the staff. They were just outstanding!! I will definitely be recommending this hotel to everyone I know! I was raving about the hotel to everyone I knew as soon as I stepped out the door.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I got married at the AD Bruce Religion Center on the U of H campus and I stayed here the night before my wedding with my bridesmaids. I was shocked at the beauty of the hotel when we entered. It is chic and elegant. Not exactly what I expected on a college campus. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The room, however, was the best part. We loved the asian inspired decor throughout the hotel but we gasped at the elegance of the room upon entering. The following day I had hair and make-up people in and out of our room but the staff were very understanding and allowed us to check out late.

The one con about the hotel was the paid parking. This is common for hotels near downtown, but I never have understood why it is necessary.

Great hotel! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends