“DON'T Make This Mistake”
Review of Motel 7

Motel 7
Ranked #416 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I selected this motel as it was the closest pet-friendly establishment to where my plans for the weekend would be as well as that it had free wifi. The first night was not too bad other than that the wifi signal for the free wifi would not reach my room. It was late though so I called it a night. The room was obviously old and badly needed a re-do but acceptably clean and actually had decent water pressure (which it seems most Motel 6s don't have).

I changed rooms when I returned the next evening after spending 45 minutes on the phone with tech support trying unsuccessfully to get the wifi to reach my room. My first room had opened on the outside of the big square shape of the motel. The new room opened to the inside of the square, a large open grassy courtyard. I was glad to see all this room and thought it looked like a good area to walk my dogs. I was very wrong about this however. As night fell the courtyard became populated by assorted shady-looking characters including a group of young hoodlums with a couple of pit bulls that the owners allowed to bark aggressively at and charge to the end of their leashes at my golden retriever. I found out later that many of the courtyard characters actually lived at the motel.

Additionally I had several suggestive comments made towards me as I carried my stuff through the courtyard from the old room to the new room (I am a single female that was staying alone, unfortunately).

The new room smelled much better than the old room and did have wifi, but also had assorted insects crawling on the walls and floor (saw and killed at least three different species). Pubic hairs in the shower, large dried boogers on the wall in the bathroom, and no hot water in the sink were also features of the new room.

The final straw however occurred when I was getting the last few items out of my truck which was parked just below the balcony in the front of the building. All of a sudden I heard yelling above me and looked up to see two young black thugs yelling "we gonna f**k you and your truck up" then throw a cup of ice all over me and the hood of my truck then take off running. I immediately went in and reported this to the front desk and security was called. Of course the hoodlums were not found but as I walked back and forth to and from my room a few times there were assorted yells of "f**k you up" every time I walked into the courtyard area. It did not make me feel safe that these thugs in the shadows had a perfect view of me coming and going from my room as all the balconies had a perfect view of my door.

I slept with my pistol on my nightstand and checked out first thing in the morning (a day early). The only redeeming quality of this motel was that the front desk staff was generally friendly and tried to be helpful, although I was not offered any type of discount or refund for my miserable experience.

In addition I highly suspect prostitutes are using this location - I witnessed several cars with male drivers pull up and let off small groups of scantily-clad youngish girls. The nearby seedy strip club probably drives business.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Rachel H

Reviewed June 23, 2013

(I 'briefly' stated at this motel one of the first couple of days in June ... TripAdvisor had questions about the post, something was lost in the translation and it is finally being posted now. Normally my reviews are posted within a week of my stay)

(I’ll write this review as things happened that night)

My sole reason I picked this location was by looking at an online map to see what was closest to my appointment first thing tomorrow. I knew there was cheaper places in other parts for town but didn’t want to chance traffic being bad.

I co-worker I hadn’t met was going to meet me there, he called about 10 minute before I arrived and his initial report was. ‘That the place was kind of trashy so he had asked to see a room before checking in. The basic’s checked out OK so he checked in.’

I did my usual routine that I do at every motel I check into. I pulled back the sheet on my side of the bed, checked the toilet, sink and tub. It looked like it would meet my basic’s of clean, quiet and hot water. My first thought was ‘this is an old Holiday Inn, I wonder how many other names it has had since then? Even on the first walk though I don’t think it would pass a Motel 6 inspection. The fabric on the ‘soft chair’ was worn through, the toilet seat was loose, the tub had a chip out of it. But I’ve stayed in a lot worse.

After going out to eat, I came back to do some paperwork. That is when I started killing bugs. Didn’t think a whole lot about it until about two minutes before I was going to jump into bed I get a phone call. The co-worker is calling me from another motel. When he went to climb into bed (here, at the Motel 6) he found ‘a dozen’ bugs in his bed. So while he was on the phone I pulled more of the sheet back, nothing.

But after hanging up, I slowly rolled the sheet back the whole way, bugs. At first I thought I would just sleep on top of the covers, but when I killed more back at my desk, I realized they may just keep on coming all night.

Then I did something I have never done before in over 10 years of ‘living on the road.’ (And I have stated at motels that cost as little as $20). I went and checked out, got my money back and went to a different motel. This one DID meet my basics of ‘CLEAN, quiet and hot water.’

I had never had a reason to know what bed bugs looked like so I looked them up online. What was in my bed and room WAS NOT bed bugs, but they were bugs (there were also two other types of bugs I saw in the room). By looking at the reviews now … instead of before I checked in. I see that this location had a bed bug problem when it was still a Quality Inn last year. That is a long time to have a bug problem.

When I went to the front desk that night and told them I had bugs I was asked if I wanted a different room or my money back … no questions of how many bugs or what kind or where they were …

The only plus I would give this place is that the desk clerk was pleasant through it all, never rude.

Not sure what I’ll do next time as the other motels in the area are $30-$50 more, but I won’t be back here.

... photo's were taken at check in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I checked into this Hotel today! (6-21-2013) around 8 p.m and let me tell you it was my FIRST and LAST time at this hotel ever! my husband and I entered the room and the AC was NOT working. the TV was so 1995 and the restroom was not up to date! so don't waste your time or money! luckily I got a refund but everything else is a no! I hope you listen and I hope this hotel starts updating itself!! the only pro was the customer service the dude on duty was very friendly and professional not to mention the WIFI!

Room Tip: Ask about the amneties!! and ask about the AC and TV.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our vacation, a cruise out of Galveston. Had one night to kill before our flight back home. Property was a little worn and somewhat "grimmy." Our door had, at some time, been forced open judging by the hap-hazard repair and "jury-rigged" secondary lock. The staff at the hotel were awesome though. Really friendly and did everything they could to make it a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The outside was dirty needs a paint job pieces of trash around the grounds. Rooms need up dating paint chipping off my door,old 20 year old tv no local channels. Was told by front desk to be happy to have some channels. Bed was comportable. There is a chair in the room that needs to be cleaned. Found a couple of hairs in shower. The toilet seat is the wrong size round seat on a elongated toilet.a little pricey for the way this looks. Still has paper motel 6 signs on window. This place needs a major overhaul. maybe thats why Quality Inn left this place and built a new place right next door. As I am a truck transporter and the trucks I will be picking up are up the street I would stay hear again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Room was clean and bed ok but door had been warped from someone either kicking it in or attempting to do so. Another door close by also was severely damaged. Desk clerk said "Oh?" As if it was a big surprise. Both rooms should have been closed until repaired instead of forcing customers to either accept the room or look elsewhere. Had to push a chest of drawers behind door to feel safe enough to sleep.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Check-in was alright, friendly staff. Park in front of room, and was 3 min from where I had to be in the morning, but all downhill from there. No fridge or micro. Gross beds, desk falling apart with sticky crap on the leg when I went to prop it up with a phonebook. Looked like dang oil spots on the carpet! Internet actually worked great, but the tv was not a flatscreen. One serious problem was sharing a parking lot with a very seedy-looking strip club. Not a place you'd want to stay with kids! Also, nasty fake eyelashes on the mirror. Property unfortunately had the feel of a cheap brothel. At least it was cheap.

• Stayed: October 2012