“Good location, but be warned”

Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Greenway Plaza
Ranked #279 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Simi Valley, CA
“Good location, but be warned”
Reviewed February 14, 2008

This hotel was chosen for me for a quick one night stay. And I'm glad that's all it was. The TV didn't work and I never got my wake up call!
Freeway noise was not an issue. Since I checked in after midnight, there were very few cars on the road plus my room faced east and the freeway is to the south.
Sure the bed was hard but I was tired after a day of plane travel so I slept soundly.
Just make sure EVERYTHING works before you unpack!

• Liked — Close to the freeway
  • Disliked — No wake up call
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank vnomous92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 5, 2006

The great thing about this hotel is the location. It's easy to get into and out of this hotel. It sits right on 59 and you can get onto the highway very quickly. There are also a few restaurants near this hotel (almost within walking distance).

Make sure you get a room that isn't facing Hwy.59, or it will be too noisy.

The rooms are very basic. I stayed in the standard room (not the larger more expensive Suite). I purchased this hotel off Priceline for a good rate, but it's definitely not worth full price. The rooms have a full sized refrigerator, desk, breakfast table and a TV. The rooms also have a kitchen sink, microwave and a small stovetop.

The room was clean, but definitely not fancy. I completely agree about the uncomfortable bed as indicated by the previous poster. The bed is equivalent to a cheap Wal-Mart mattress. It is extremely hard and uncomfortable. If you are driving to this hotel and have some extra room in your car, I would bring your own pillows. The pillows are thin, flat and extremely un-supporting. The room reminded me of a $14.99 truckstop hotel that I stayed in somewhere in Mississippi about 15 years ago (just a little cleaner).

The hotel does not include linen service or maid service unless you are staying for an extended period of time. I stayed 2 nights and never received maid service or clean towels.

The rooms are not very soundproofed, so you can hear conversations in the hallways or even the television from the room next door. This is an extended stay hotel, so don't be surprised if you smell someone burning their food on the stove next to your room.

The hallways in this hotel were un-airconditioned. The hallways were hot, humid and had a mildew odor.

Overall, I had a very uncomfortable stay in this hotel. The bed was uncomfortable and the room wasn't very soundproofed.

When I walked into the room, my window faced a beautiful concrete wall about 20 foot back. I opened the curtains and the entire curtain assembly fell off the wall onto my head.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Austin96
Dallas
Reviewed November 12, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for a week, and it is very close to downtown Houston, staff are A+++ (esp. the blonde manager guy.. Elton?). Whenever I asked a question, I had an answer, or if I needed service, it was there right away!

I've stayed at other Extended Stay, but this one is nice and very clean. Only one better is in Austin, TX because it's close to 6th Street. It would be nice if there were a pool, but for being close to downtown and for the price and what it includes, it can't be beat. I'll definitely do business with them again.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank Dbelladonna
Reviewed April 21, 2005

This is really really really convenient to everything inside the loop and very reasonable, and the staff is very nice. BUT... I stayed here one night and couldn't take any more ... the bed was like a rock and I might have gotten 3 hours sleep if that much. Very poor quality mattress, I have slept better in a Motel 6. Other negatives were that hallways can be dim to the point of being downright creepy at night, and my recliner was broken (and didn't recline) but I don't care about that so much. I would suggest asking for a front view though, as almost half of the rooms face a parking garage.

Pros are price and location, and the fact that my the room was very clean and amenable otherwise. The kitchen in particular was *spotless* and you hardly ever see that in a home-away-from-home style place. If you do like an untra-firm mattress, this may well be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank DamnSaltyHam
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2003

The week-long rates are great and you can't beat the location here: inside the loop right in the middle of everything, easy to get to anywhere you want to go. It's right on the freeway so if you don't like freeway noise, stay somewhere else. Me personally, I like freeway noise because it drowns out everything else. The room was spacious and the full kitchen was _very_ convenient. My only complaint was that there was a funky smell coming out of the vent in my room. I complained and all they did was spray room deoderizer everywhere which made it worse.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Travelers also viewed these Houston hotels
Greenway/ Upper Kirby
Courtyard Houston-West University
Modern B&B
#74 of 511 in Houston

Been to Extended Stay America - Houston - Med. Ctr. - Greenway Plaza? Share your experiences!