“Found dirty underwear in the room and the pool turned my daughter's hair green”

Wyndham Garden Houston Willowbrook
Ranked #185 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My daughter and I came into town for a big soccer tournament and wanted to stay somewhere that we knew would be hassle-free. Other Holiday Inn Expresses have been great, so I figure this one would be no different.

Check in went smoothly. They were out of twin rooms, but the lady at the desk said she'd get us a roll-away bed and she did just that. I appreciated that and the stay started out good.

We went to the pool and were immediately struck by the strong smell of pool chemicals. We still wanted to relax in the pool after a long day of soccer games, so we got in. About 30 minuted later, I noticed my daughter's hair looked funny. All the blond highlights were green. Not kind of green, not sort of green, but radioactive-looking green! I had heard that that could happen if you swim and don't wash your hair immediately after, but this happened while we were still in the pool! They either used bad chemicals or too much because this has never happened in any other pool we've used.

The next morning, we were packing our bags and I saw something on the side of the bed. They were Calvin Klein underwear. No one in my family wears Calvin Klein underwear and to top it off, they looked dirty. GROSS, I let the manager on duty know and she apologized and said the general manager would contact me, but this hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure what I expect the hotel to do about it after the fact, but finding dirty underwear really grossed my daughter and me out and I couldn't help but wonder if the bed I had slept in had even been cleaned. I'm still completely grossed out.

Would I go back? Not a chance. There's a La Quinta right next door and a couple other hotels close by. I'd take my chances with one of them. I don't trust the housekeepers or the pool maintenance people here one bit.

Still grossed out...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TXguy076

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Loma Linda, California
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We had all what we needed. The rooms were nice, clean, the breakfast was great. We liked the location, 5 minutes away from the Willowbrook Mall, grocery stores, Hair Salon, pharmacy, my teen loved the Best Buy store which was so close by. Wallmart was also very close, and so was Target. THere were several restaurants near by too. we couldn't have been better situated. We will come back often.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I'm here for 1 week and it is now my second day. My luggage has been lost by the airline. There is a clerk by the name of Gary that does a great job at welcoming you. He has gone the extra mile to provide me with extra toiletries until my bags arrive. The room is nice and clean. The only negative is that the turn into the Hotel comes up quick and if you miss it, you will have to circle around always due to the one way.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Riverside Cty
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We have stayed here a year ago but they have undergone some renovations since then. There was ample parking and the staff was welcoming and efficient. USA Today was available in the lobby and the room was nicely decorated. It included a large hotel fridge and a microwave, as well as the standard room coffeemaker. The complimentary hot breakfast included meat, potatoes, hot and cold cereal, danish, toast and bagels, yogurt, juice, fresh fruit...and...cooked to order eggs! The best part was the carafe of coffee delived to our table! That breakfast is available 7 days a week and on the Monday morning we were there, a couple arriving 10 minutes after service was treated to a hot breakfast delivered to their table from the kitchen! The staff makes this property!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We rented three rooms, our family had come down to Houston for a wedding. We stayed two nights with no complaints. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The first night we got there, one of the rooms we had smelled like smoke, and they were more than happy to give us another room. The breakfast was good, eventhough the pancakes and waffles were hard. The staff in this hotel is great, the bathroom was big and clean, and the blankets were cozy. I don't think there were alot of people staying when we were there (judging from the sparse cars in the parking lot), but we still got great service.
The only complaint I have is for the entrance to the hotel. We got there at night and entered in on the wrong side. They don't have Wi-Fi.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 21, 2008

I believe this Holiday Inn has been recently converted from another hotel. The furniture appears to be fairly new in the rooms and the overall property is clean. Staff was friendly but didn't really "shine", not that I really expected them to a Holiday Inn. Rooms are basic and as I mentioned above appear to have new furniture. Bathroom was clean although the toilet ran all night and the show was barely warm at 7:00am. Breakfast was dismal and ended at 9am instead of the usual 10am. By the time I arrived each morning at 8:30am everything was picked over. The maid service also starts early. I was working, not yet dressed for the day around 8:15 when I heard a faint knock on my door. By the time I jumped up, grabbed a shirt, and tried to make it to the door, the maid was already opening it up with her master key. We were both embarrassed, she apologized and moved on. I didn't have time to enjoy the bar, but from a distance it looked well stocked with the basic brands and mixers. The hotel managed to shove a pool table into the bar area so it made the already small area even tighter. Overall the hotel works for business travelers or just a quick overnight stay but that's about it.. Don't expect much more. Its important to know that there is NOT a full service restaurant on site (at least that i saw).. No Lunch or Dinner served although a couple of places deliver.

• Liked — Overall Clean, decent staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast, Shower temp,
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
arlington, tx
Reviewed September 13, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while attending a weekend meeting in Tomball (15 minutes north on Hwy 249). Easy to find the hotel in the dark although I turned onto the entrance blvd the wrong way. I prepaid for the hotel directly on their website and got a reasonable rate ($60) for the area and quality. I was very tired both evenings and thoroughly enjoyed the four fluffy pillows on my bed...one for each arm and leg!! Bedding was great. Refrigerator, mcrowave and chair were also provided. The room was very attractively decorated above average. The bathroom was clean and large, and the bathroom door was positioned so that light did not bother others sleeping in later. The computer/internet was easy to set up and use. Nice desk provided. I had mistakenly glanced at the hotel pictures and thought the hotel offered complimentary typical toast breakfast, but only breakfast available was pricey and I choose to find numerous fast food restaurants on my 15 minute commute north on Hwy 249.

The one issue I had was the nonfunctioning ice machine on the second floor, but there was a note directing one to the north end (whichever way that was) of the building on first or third floor. This was quite a hike for someone as tired as I was who just wanted to cool his coke. I would have also liked to have found a vending machine with a snack (apple, nuts), but drinks were only found.

Two good restaurants I would recommend nearby in Tomball included Pecos Grill with lots of homemade food variety and the Rib Tickler (typical barb b q with potato salad, coleslaw, etc). Both located on Hwy 249 north in Tomball past Medical Complex Dr on right if heading north.

Stayed September 2007