“Great week long stay”

Ranked #200 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Ft Lauderdale
“Great week long stay”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After staying here for a week during the rodeo activities, I have to say this hotel was great. The staff was very accommodating and went out of their way to make me feel at home. The property is located right on 290 which was great for me because my business office is located just a short 10 minute drive down the road. Grocery stores are located fairly close so I was able to stock my fridge conveniently. I do wish the rooms had an oven, but I was able to make do with the cooktop and microwave.
If booking a room, I would suggest an "odd-numbered" room to allow you a quieter night sleep since the road noise might bother some.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are quieter due to the location of the highway and restaurants.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
New Orleans
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I can't comment on the aesthetics or cleanliness of the place itself as I never actually made it there. But I can say that customer service at this location is terrible. I had called the hotel directly to reserve a room with 2 beds plus pull out sofa. I had seen from reviews on other sites that people who had requested a particular type of room, such as I did, had issues with getting that room upon check-in. I called the hotel and expressed this concern to the front desk person. She stated that when people book through outside agencies, such as travelocity and such, that's when the issues may arise. Since I was booking directly through the hotel they could guarantee this type of room. I expressed several times that due to the number of people, ages, and gender that it was imperative we have 3 beds of some sort. She assured me I would have no problems.
Let me make it clear that I called the hotel directly, not the 800- number for marriott, to book this, and guaranteed it with a credit card.
On the day of our arrival, we got into Houston a little early so I called the hotel to inquire about an early check-in. The person I spoke with had trouble finding my reservation, then when given the confirmation number he "found" it but said the room I requested wasn't available. They did have a room with one bed and a pull out sofa. I was irritated, as I explained to him my conversation, including concerns, with the person with whom I reserved the room. He transferred me to the manager who told me there was nothing they could do, was unwilling to make any further accommodations, but was quick to cancel my reservation. His excuse for not having my room was that there was "a leak" the night before and 2 of those rooms were unavailable.
So nice of them to cancel and not charge my credit card, but I am now in Houston, with no place to sleep.
At this point I called Marriott's 800-number and spoke with customer service, who found me another Marriott property close by with the room I requested. The rate was a little higher, but they offered a credit in order to match the rate of the first property.
I don't know if there was a leak or not, but I find it suspicious that they had trouble finding my reservation. Plus, given other negative reviews regarding room requests, I think they just dropped the ball. It would have been totally different if, when I reserved the room, I would have been told that there was no guarantee I would get that type of room. Instead I was told I would not have any problems.
Sorry this is such a long review.

Bottom line: If you need a certain type of room DO NOT TRUST that they will have it for you upon check in. Even if you book directly with them.
If you stay here, hope that everything goes smoothly, because management DOES NOT try to help out or accommodate in any way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cajunawlins
TMIHospitality, Manager at Towneplace Suites Houston Brookhollow, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about the problems you encountered.

At the Houston TownePlace Suites by Marriott Galleria, we pride ourselves in exceeding expectations, and I offer my deepest apologies that your stay was not up to standards at the Houston TownePlace Suites.

The inconveniences you encountered with the reservation agents and the service from our management team is not indicative of the level of service we provide. After seeing your comments I have gotten with the various departments and remedial measures have been taken to correct this problem. With the comments that our guests provide it allows me the opportunity to correct our mistakes. I assure you this is not normal practice for this TownePlace Suites.

If you are planning to visit our hotel in the future please let me know so that I can personally assure that your stay is a memorable one. We would very much like a chance to improve your opinion of the quality of our service and hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Again, I offer my deepest apologies that we failed to meet and beat your expectations and thank you for your quick response. I value the experiences my guests have as it helps improve the hotel.

Best regards,

Pamela Avritt
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a great location for any business northwest of the center; and still inside the loop. Given Houston's traffic; this can be a great feature in of itself. While I'm not sure of the age of the property; it's clearly had a renewal in fairly recent past. Most rooms have one bedroom; and rates are extremely competitive. The kitchen is spartan but equipped, the property overall; very well kept.

Our stay was one month; so we got to meet everyone at every time of day and night. High marks all around. Management is visible, responsive and friendly. Desk personnel and housekeeping are the best. Every hotel has the capacity to be efficient, not every hotel can be friendly and efficient. These folks have it. This property is worth your business for a comfortable stay, long or short.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chennai
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Very nice place to stay, I stayed for more than a month here, very amiable staff, great breakfast and has all amenities required for a stay. Nothing fancy, but a very comfortable, clean and safe place. Surrounded by a number of restaurants and close proximity to the free way are pluses to this hotel. The staff are very courteous and caring.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Anitha_M
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a decent extended-stay type hotel (and one of the cheapest ones using Marriott points in the area), a few miles north of downtown. Our room had a separate living and sleeping areas with a nice little kitchen (and a lot of utensils).
The buffet breakfast was pretty standard and well stocked/fresh. There are also quite a few dining options nearby. Overall, a nice clean place and recommended for a few days stay and/or for families.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

This place is perfect, for a short or long stay. Location is perfect, staffs are friendly, rooms are spacious and clean. This is what i call home away from home.

• Stayed April 2012
Denton, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This hotel is very nice. I like that it is close to downtown/ the Galleria and restaurants.... The room was very nice.....Will stay again when I return to Houston.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends