“Stay at ESA-Northwest was memorable”

Extended Stay America - Houston - Northwest
Ranked #286 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel location was very convenient, as it was close to my office.
The neat and clean lobby, and rooms also were good. I stayed there for a month, and did not find any problems.
Staff members, especially Sal, and Jack were very helpful and cooperative.
Only thing that i thought could have been improved was the cleaning of rooms was done once a week. It could have been done atleast twice a week.

Room Tip: Choose a room which is facing the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Houston - Northwest

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We travel approx. 9 months a year. Last summer we arrived and initially everything seemed fine except the A/C was not cooling the room. We called the desk and they told us they didn't have another room but they would send maintenance to fix in the morning.

The next day, maintenance comes in and removes the unit and then brings it back with a newer cover on it and tells me it's a new unit.... 2 hours later, the room is reading 86.

I called the desk again, they tell me the maintenance man has left for the day. They also tell me that they still don't have any other rooms to move us to. I could tell by the managers attitude that she could care less about the problem.

We had booked the room for 3 months stay. The next day we were told they would have to order a part to fix the A/C and not sure how long it would take to fix. We immediately packed up and checked out! 3 days, 2 nights and $168.00 LOST... If you stay 30 days, you get the cheaper rate plus no tax. Because we checked out early, we had to pay full rate + tax.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank techiediva
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The apperance on the outside is very different from the inside. The lobby area needs some attention-the carpet needs to be cleaned, it looked very dingy. Air conditioning in this place was almost non existent. It felt warm in this hotel for the most part. The room I asked for was a non-smoking and was put in a smoking room, and no chance for change because of being sold out. Sorry not coming here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Pros:
1. Location, location, location! Close to shopping, food, and entertainment. Target, Walmart, and a few clothing stores were right across the over pass. Golden Corral was almost directly behind the hotel. There were many other food places there. The zoo, aquarium were about a 15 minute drive away. There was even a movie theater across the overpass. Hotel was close enough to everything yet not too close where there is a lot of foot traffic around.
2. The girl at the front desk in the morning was amazing! She was so cheerful and helpful.
3. A lot of space, perfect for extended stays.
4. Parking was great! It was never hard to get a spot in the parking lot.
5. The price for my trip was amazing! I will definitely book a room there again.
Negatives:
1. When you walk into the hotel from the side entrance, the floors are nasty! They need to steam clean it or change it altogether.
2. The staff doesn't change the garbage cans in the hallway often. Someone put some funky smelling food or something in the garbage can and it stunk up the staircase for 2 days.
3. The hotel has a musty smell to it. You could tell that maintenance doesn't clean the common areas often(aside from the lobby).
4. When I entered my room, the floors and walls were dirty. In the bathroom, there was hair on the shower walls and on the blow dryer. When I asked about them cleaning my room, they said I would have to pay $10 to have house keeping clean my room again. I was so annoyed. I went down the block to Walmart, and bought cleaning supplies and did a through cleaning of the kitchen and bathroom myself.
5. The bed was broken. Upon looking at the bed, it looked normal, but when you lay on it, it sunk down in the middle. Felt like I was sleeping in a hammock rather than a queens size bed.
6. All of the windows were smudged on the glass and there was white residue on the window frames. I was afraid to touch it. My boyfriend ended up buying bleach and cleaning the windows as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trice7360
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. It pleases me to read that you really liked the location of our hotel, especially that it was so close to shopping areas and other establishments. As well, I am glad that my staff was able to assist you and you liked having parking available on-site. Still, I am sorry that your room was not cleaned properly. I have spoken with our housekeeping staff about the importance of cleaning each room thoroughly so your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at hnw@extendedstay.com. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

So I'm not really sure how to rate this, because I really have only one complaint, which for me is a dealbreaker, but for others would be inconsequential or even a plus - smoking rooms only.

We booked a room here through priceline (got it for a ridiculously great rate of 25/night before taxes), so we really can't be angry at them. Our room wasn't ready right when we got there, but we arrived a little early and they were very apologetic about it (apparently a ton of people had left that morning and they would be pretty much full again that night). We waited maybe 15 minutes for it to be ready, but the wifi in the lobby (and elsewhere) was good. We got to our room and it smelled really strongly of cigarettes. I went back down and asked if we could switch rooms, but it turns out that they do not have any non-smoking rooms in their hotels as they mainly cater to business travelers who want to be able to smoke in their rooms. And, as they were full, we weren't able to see if any other the other rooms smelled less. It was unfortunate, but a risk we took by booking with priceline, who doesn't guarantee smoke-free rooms (we've booked with them probably 20 times before and it hasn't been an issue as so many chains are completely smoke free). But, they did come up and febreeze the room immediately, were apologetic about the smell, and told us to let them know if we needed more febreeze. Overall, the staff was great, really friendly and helpful and again, apologetic. The room was a great size - kitchenette that even included some stuff for cooking in and eating off of. We had a window and good a/c unit, so that helped with the smell somewhat. Really, everything about the place was great except for the smell. So, if it doesn't bother you, or better yet, if you smoke, you'll probably love it.

Room Tip: There are no non-smoking rooms - be aware before booking!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not expect to be placed in a smoking room. This hotel is one of a handful within our Company which allows guests to smoke in most of the guest rooms. It seems this was not communicated to you prior to check-in, and for that I am truly sorry.

Please know that most of our other properties have both smoking and non-smoking rooms and another handful have just non-smoking. It would be great if you would give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay at one of these hotels in the future. Thank you for your comments again.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I booked this through hotwire.com, and I was very pleased with how it turned out. Obviously, the price was good. But, I'd have to say I was surprised at how good the property was considering some of the reviews I've read. The room was very clean. There was no noise problem. This area of Houston is just fine (it's mostly a business/retail area), and security was very visible in the parking lot as I returned late at night after business. The full kitchen is good, and I liked the recliner chair. There was not a problem, not one, and I'd stay here again. It sure helped that the location was close to my business site and not far from a good golf course -- the excellent public facility at Memorial Park.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel. It's great to hear that the room was clean and that the kitchen and recliner were great! I am also glad that we were conveniently located for your trip with restaurants and golf courses close by and that the security was visible at night. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I based my stay on reviews here so I'll share my experience. The price was decent but this is in a rather unpleasant part of town and the accommodations were barely adequate in my opinion. My bathroom had multiple problems, the bedding was bad and there was a pervasive bad smell throughout. I think the extra money for a Candlewood suites would have been worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Saints01Houston, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that your stay didn’t meet your expectations. I am disappointed that our bathrooms had numerous issues, bad bedding and the bad smell. In response to your feedback, I am a meeting with the manager and staff. We will be inspecting all bathrooms and bedding to ensure that this issue is resolved. For the smell, we will have the maintenance shampoo the carpets and treat the area. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at HNW@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.