New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria

Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria
Ranked #244 of 489 Hotels in Houston
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Recommended but location requires a car”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

While this modern hotel has an arguably good location because it is close to the Galleria and the intersection of two major freeways in the center of Houston (US 59 Southwest Freeway and I-610 Loop), for a first time visitor to Houston, it will likely prove difficult to find, as it is otherwise in the middle of nowhere. A car is strongly recommended if you are staying here because there is no public transportation, eating or shopping within walking distance of the hotel, although the hotel does reportedly offer shuttle service to the Houston Galleria, a mega-sized high end shopping mall. Candlewood Suites is IC Hotel/Holiday Inn’s answer to Residence Inn, so the style and layout of the hotel and rooms are similar to a Marriott Residence Inn, and appears geared more to those who intend to stay long term, although it is also fine for short term stays. Unlike a traditional hotel, daily maid service is limited to towel change and trash removal, with more extensive weekly room cleaning. You can also exchange for clean towels at the Front Desk as needed. My room was large and well designed, with a big work space, full kitchen with a counter to sit and eat and a comfortable bed. The window split duct air conditioning unit was loud, but it worked well. The staff was very pleasant and both check-in and out were efficient and uneventful. The free Wi-Fi worked with no problems, but is too slow for video. The gym was quite modern with a high end multi-station weight machine, an elipitical and bike, but no free weights. This hotel is fine for a business trip or tourists to Houston if you need or want to be in the Galleria area and have a car (parking is free), but if you do not have a car, there are other hotels closer to and within walking distance to the Galleria which would be better choices If location is not a concern for you, and you have a car, at just $75/night, this hotel is recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank FitDude
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear FitDude,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that our location suited your needs and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I cant for the life of me understand why this great hotel doesn't get more reviews.. I arrived on 15 September for a 5 night stay. It was my first Candlewood experience so I didn't know what was in store for me.. I was welcomed by I think the most attentive and personable front desk staffer I have ever met. Mary was so welcoming and friendly and took the time to explain all the features and the quirks of her hotel. Hotels need more staff like Mary. My room felt like brand new, plus the halls had been repainted and carpeted and all the fittings in the room and bathroom renewed. It was great to cook meals, plus have the use of a big fridge/freezer and dishwasher. The laundry had nice new washers and dryers and parking out the front was always plentiful. Based on the positive experience, I decided to book an onward stay at the Candlewood in Vegas. The only negative experience, the front desk person on departure could have been a little bit more pleasant. Well done Candlewood Houston Galleria, I'll be back..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I arrived to this place and it is pretty nice. Obviously if you are looking for a full service hotel or stay this would not be a spot for you, but if you want to stay for one night or a week it is a good place for the price. We were greeted and welcomed very nicely, they recognized me as a IHG member and gave me my goodie bag..There is a laundry and a "honest" store, where you get food or products and pay in the front. They also have free DVDs to check out. The rooms are nice and roomy, only downside on ours was that the restroom door did not close but not a big deal. We only stayed one night and was a very calm stay. U are in the middle of everything here, the biggest mall in Htown Galleria is about 5 min. away. Downtown is about 10-15 min away and midtown about 5 min. away..Overall a good stay and would recommend to someone who is looking for a calm and chill stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great overall stay, only concern was AC. AC was at, 69 and I was sweating at night, I had to bring it down to about 61. Everything else was good, has dishwasher, fridge, iron, sink, almost of not a full kitchen. Also has a recliner. GOod value for price

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Marilda D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hello Elchidomite,
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your kind words as well as your constructive feedback. Please be sure to stay with us again the next time you are in the Houston area.
Springfield, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed here on business for a few meetings. The front staff greeted me and was very polite and helpful when I checked in. The rooms were clean and well stocked. I would stay here again if ever in the area!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Broken Arrow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

First I would like to say the staff at the Candlewood Suites is excellent! Attentive, responsive, helpful, no issues.Great staff. The hotel is very convenient. Great location. Also, everyone who stayed there is very friendly--lots of people who are there for long stays. The hotel has been remodeled and is well furnished and attractive. The few things I wish I knew before I booked....you only get maid service if you stay four days. Wasn't a big deal, but would've been nice to know in advance. The a/c was borderline, but acceptable. And the 3rd floor smells like cigarette smoke. The other floors were fine, so if you book ask for a room on a floor other than the 3rd. Also --they have a gym, but no pool. They have a cupboard, but no restaurant. And the last thing you need to know is the front desk isnot 24 hr. So if you arrive late, you have to access your key from a lock box.

Room Tip: do not stay on the 3rd floor if you do not like cigarette smoke. It is a non-smoking hotel, but the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Renee H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Renee H,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my first stay in a Candlewood property. Quite frankly I wasn't sure what to expect, especially after the highly unusual process for checking in at 11:15pm on a Monday night. The room is nicer than expected and is truly built as a suite for extended stay guests. The rooms are a nice size, although not huge. All include refridgerator, microwave, dishwasher, and cooktop. It might be described a cute. Maybe even a little Ikea feel.

What you need to know:
The Good: It's in the Galleria area, although very south edge, business area. Coffee isn't bad and the people have generally been nice. It's clean and appears generally cared for and in good condition. The water gets hot and has moderate pressure. The bathroom has more safety features than most. (grip bars, anti slip). TV is good and desk space i s awesome. The space is really comfortable. Parking and in and out is super simple.

The bad, although better said as areas to be informed: they apparently permit animals as I was awakened by a loud dog next door at 7am. The bathroom has everything you need, but no countertop areas for items. The bed is just ok. Nothing is high end, but hey, this isn't a 4 or 5 star place. The air unit is a little loud. If you're a light sleeper, this is gonna make you nuts.

Room Tip: Tip: I would seek an upper floor for quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Marilda D, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you Ali M for taking the time to offer such wonderful feedback regarding our hotel and your stay with us. Please note that we are a pet friendly hotel and we hope that the next you visit us and one of the pets is disturbing you, please let us know so that we can inform the pet owners. We strive to make all of our guests comfortable during their stay.
Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites for your lodging needs and we hope that the next time you are in need of lodging, you remember us.