“Nightmare Of A Hotel!!!!”

Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria
Ranked #256 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Nightmare Of A Hotel!!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I am in hotels at least 10 days a month. The only reason I liked staying at this hotel is because of the C/D player, DVD player and kitchen area.
But I always have a problem with this hotel. It is never a smooth reservation or accomodation.
Many, many times I have booked a 2 room suite online but upon arrival at the hotel, no suites are available and the staff makes no apology for the situation.
The water pressure is always low, the bathroom is dark and dingy. The clock doesn't work, the C/D player not in the room. It's always something!!!!
Although the location is convenient, I HATE THIS PLACE.
As long as this manager remains, I WILL NEVER STAY HERE!!!!!
I

• Liked — C/D player, DVD player, kitchen, location
  • Disliked — Reservations booked online, but no available room(s) upon check in; staff not friendly or helpful
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Spice24
candlewoodgalleria, Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria. I am truely sorry for the problems that you experienced while staying with us. It is now 2011 and we have a new manager as well as a very hard working staff. I am not sure why the 1 bedroom suite was not available upon check in if that is what you booked. No excuses as I do not know how that could happen, what I can say is call me and lets try it again and see if we can make it right for you. Please contact me directly Debra Johnson @ debra.johnson@ihg.com Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Florida
Reviewed April 2, 2008

This is the WORST facility I have satyed at. There is NO water in the showers in the morning- and yet in the night- you can not turn water off. The Air Conditioner did not work, curtains were falling off the rods, drawers falling off. The bathroom was OLD and dirty. Facility needs UPDATING and cleaning. When I reported people smoking on the NON smoking rooms sections- all the staff could say was SORRY. They NEVER tried to rectify any problems. MANY guests were complaining. The Manager in the day- NEVER turned his back around to face people- just let his day desk staff hear problems. NOT a safe parking lot either.I complained to the desk people and even called their 800 number. NO one has done anything- and I was charged a HIGHER rate than I was quoted by phone- or saw on the internet.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — Everything else was terrible
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for staying with Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I believe that we have replaced the curtains since you stayed with us as well as many other things. Our staff of managers and front desk agents work hard daily to insure your satisfaction. Management has changed since your last stay, perhaps you could give us another try. Please contact me directly to book your next stay. Thank you Debra Johnson Director of Sales.

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Holland
Reviewed March 15, 2008

1) Parking problems seem to have improved overall, but during Houston's second Halloween, Rodeo, people park on top of each other.

2) NO HOT WATER, then NO WATER PRESSURE

3) NOISY ON WEEKENDS - No manager on duty.

4) Needs a lot of work to justify the price; better to stay further out, pay less, and get better environment

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria. We were very busy duriing Rodeo and unfortunately the hot water heater was not keeping up very well. We have worked on that and also have had the City of Houston out to re-work the water lines so that we have the right amount of pressure. As with any hotel we try to control the noise but with 122 rooms sometimes that can be hard to manage. We are sorry for your inconvenience and would like to make it right with you. Please contact me directly to discuss. Thank you Debra Johnson Director of Sales.
California
Reviewed March 2, 2008

The Candlewood Suites chain has good beds and decent value, but terrible service at this hotel made the stay terrible. I had a toilet in the first room that didn't work and a shower that didn't work right in the 2nd room and had stuff thrown out from the first room. The personnel were unfriendly and unhelpful since managers only work M-F and not at all on weekends. The maintenance seems lax at this hotel and the rooms need more refurbishing..new cabinets for example, though the carpeting looked new.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — service, cleanliness, upkeep of faciltiy, especially batthrooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
debrabjohnson, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, May 8, 2008
We are sorry that you experienced some issues with your room. We strive to accommodate all of our guests needs. Clean rooms of course would be expected as well as friendly staff. We are working with our team to give you the best. Please try us again and give us another shot. Thank you
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2008

Usually stay at the Candlewood when in Houston for busines and have always had a nice stay there.

Staff are friendly upon check in and more than willing to give advice on restaurants, directions etc... nearby.

The location can be very confusing to find first time round and you may think you've driven into some retail park. So be warned... and trust your directions!

Galleria is close by and relatively easy to get to and you'll also pass by numerous restaurants and sports bars for places to eat. There are no places to eat or shop at within walking distance.

Room was clean and comfortable (bed was great) with an open plan set up with the kitchen area for those not familiar with Candlewood rooms. This may cause issues with light sleepers from the fridge/freezer noise when it cuts in and out.

I'm always happy staying here every time I return to Houston for meetings at that part of town for the price paid.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for staying at the Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria. Thank you for the nice review. We really do try hard to please everyone and if something can be fixed or changed then we make every effort to do it! We are a little hard to find as you pointed out but once you are here it is easy and it gets you off the beaten path and allows you more of a feel of a home vs a hotel. Please stay with us again and stop by my office and lets visit. Debra Johnson Director of Sales
Georgia
Reviewed May 5, 2007

This was our first experience with Candlewood Suites. The washer/dryer Cupboard area was a welcome ammenity for us after a four day road trip. I am sorry to hear a previous tripster had a very bad experience, but we had quite the opposite. We washed/dryed clothes without incident and I was quite amazed at the whole "honor system" setup in the Cupboard area. Our room was spacious, clean with full kitchen setup. Restaurant leftovers went into the fridge and we made full use of the coffee pot and microwave appliances. A real bargin for the money!

• Stayed April 2007
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2006

...should have been the police cars and gang fight going on out front when we drove up. However, it was really late and we had guaranteed our late arrival, so we ignored our better judgment and checked in.

My room had a huge, scary stain on the carpet that looked like someone had been murdered there (I'm serious). The hotel desk clerk was nice about giving me another room, but didn't seem to really care that my first room was truly foul. Management that would allow a room to be rented out in that condition--when the hotel was not full and there were other rooms available--simply does not care. Also, when I went down to change rooms there was a metal shutter over the lobby desk which, along with the possible murder stain on my carpet and the police cars out front, made me question my safety.

My friend's room had a funky odor--we thought they might have stashed the body under the bed after the murder in my room. Seriously, it was not good---do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business