“In Desperate Need of Many Things”

Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria
Ranked #304 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed here for business for about 2 weeks in May.

Pros:

- Cheap
- Plentiful Laundry Machines
- Near my office

Cons:

- The hotel has renovations going on 7 days per week, staying over a weekend in painful
- The hotel is dirty and ill kept (I'm guessing the reason for th first bullet)
- The TV in the bedroom is a joke
- I was not asked for ID when my room key did not work (make sure your valuables are in the safe, wait there is no safe)
- The towels feel like 80 grit sandpaper
- cleaning is once per week (normal for candlewood)

Maybe this place will be worth a try again when the renovations are completed but in the mean time avoid this place like the plague, its a dump in every sense of the word.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear hot_suitcase,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel. The property located near the Galleria but not in the middle of the Galleria traffic - Off the beaten path. Clean property that has older case goods, TV and decor that needs updating. They knew I was a Priority Club Platinum member and provided me amenities to match my level of members (this does not always happen - even with Intercontinental). The AC was strange because the thermostat on the wall did not actually control the ac and it was a little loud for me, which made for not so good nights sleep. Would like to see it after the update.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel is in need of a facelift, which I remember reading is scheduled to begin April 2012. I would definitely plan to stay here once the renovations are completed. No housekeeping for weekend stays, fresh towels & linens are at the front desk. Front desk service was horrible, but the distance to downtown is less than a 10 minute drive. Not staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear Monthlytraveler09,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are an extended stay hotel and do not offer daily housekeeping. However it is always available upon request. I apologize you received service which was unsatisfactory by the front desk. You comments are being taken seriously and will be discussed. I hope to see you after our renovation is complete.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed February 26, 2012

I just read the review about someone's car getting broken into at this location.....I guess the thieves have now moved inside. My 74-year old mom stayed at this location for over 2 months because she had a fire in her house. While rushing out of her home during the fire, she packed all of her valuables (watches, rings, necklaces, etc.) in her suitcase. She tucked the valuables away and hid them in the bottom of her suitcase in the closet of her hotel room(i.e. the room doesn't have a safe). When she moved back to her house and started unpacking, she realized that someone had gone through her suitcase and stolen all of her valuables. We immediately called the hotel and they said a manager wasn't there and they couldn't call one. After calling the police and filing a police report, I spoke to the manager and general manager and asked if they had access to the records of who entered the room. They said they would pull the activity records to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. For the record, I didn't believe this was going to happen because neither the manager or general manager seemed very surprised or concerned about our loss. I never heard back from either, but we did get a generic form letter from their insurance company saying there is nothing they can do. I am disappointed that a hotel chain would treat a guest like this, especially a guest who was staying there after a tragedy, and lost life-long valuables and memories.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Rodney B
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Candlewood Suites by name but not quite in reality, the Houston branch is missing the all night reception and a BUSINESS centre. Travelling on business I have stayed at a few Candlewood Suites and found them really well equipped with an onsite shop, an onsite self service laundry, an on site gym and a pool so had had to ask what happened here in Houston. It was as if the owners forgot the important stuff but remembered the rest. All credit must go to the staff as they were most helpful in helping me check in for my flight.

Room Tip: Not a hotel for business travellers
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Freddie6602
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Has a fridge, stove & microwave so thats a plus, just not impressed with the room. Had peeling paint in shower, TV to small & bed not the most comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank kcorson
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed here for a couple of weeks during a business trip. Good value for money. The location is convenient for those with work in Galleria area. Even downtown Houston is easily accessible.
The property is not new but comparable to other Candlewood suites that I have stayed at.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business