“Worse Than County Jail” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #247 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Worse Than County Jail”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

On business travel, Hampton Inns, Marriott Courtyards, and the like are the preferred lodging chains. Because the nearby preferred hotels were in the $250 range, my traveling companion and I reluctantly accepted corporate travel's suggestion of a Candlewood Suites. Never again.

We booked non-smoking but only one n/s was available. I took it and the boss was stuck with smoking. I might as well have been in smoking myself because of the strong odor. I thought it was because of the HVAC or the musty bedding, but the clerk the next morning said it was because the floor above was all smoking. Nice. Also, the boss had to change rooms twice because of non-functioning air conditioning. We escaped the next morning, one day early, having found an affordable Courtyard not too far away.

Room Tip: Don't even think about staying here and you'll be just fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Felicia M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Westchase, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to make sure that all guests are happy with their stay.

I would love the opportunity to make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Felicia Mitchell
713-780-7881

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Friendly, attentive staff, but otherwise avoid the property. Not much in the area in the way of food options, and each room I was moved to had something wrong. Broken AC unit. Then a clogged sink. Then an iron that didn't work. Property upkeep is not a priority here. To top off the experience, I was woken up at 3am by a drunken lout knocking on my door who clearly had the wrong room. It took 20 minutes for the front desk to finally address the issue, and I was only offered 2,000 priority points as compensation for such an awful stay. For those in the IHG system, that isn't enough to get you anything, anywhere. Go elsewhere when in Houston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Felicia M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Westchase, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced for your stay. This is not a typical experience our guests have here. Hotel upkeep is very important to us. June of last year we spent 1.2 million dollars in renovating the guest rooms.

Our goal is to make sure our guest have a pleasant stay. In the month of January our guest scored us 86.88 in overall satisfaction which is 3.15 points higher than the Candlewood average for the month.

We hope that you will give us another try the next time you are in the Houston area. I promise you will have a better experience.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I needed a pet-friendly hotel on my trip through Houston, and I have stayed at Candlewood before, so I booked here. Despite the fact that the entrance to the hotel is nearly impossible to find at night (I didn't see any signage, and just followed a car through a parking lot of an apartment complex to get here, I did finally make it. If I didn't have reservations, I would have walked out when I got into the "lobby". It truly looked and smelled like a dorm, very institutional looking. The lady at the desk was the same one that put me on hold and forgot about me when I called to ask a question about my reservation. She couldn't have been less friendly, she was slow, didn't acknowledge anyone when they came in. A lady came to the desk saying that she had been called by the operations manager about something, thinking maybe a package had been left for her, and the lady behind the counter shrugged her shoulders and made no attempt to help her. She said you'll have to ask tomorrow, I don't know anything. The person checking you in is the one who sets the tone for the stay, I didn't have a good feeling about the hotel if this is the caliber of employee at the desk. The room itself was nice, it had a full refridgerator, dishwasher, and dishes. The bed was very comfortable, I have been travelling for weeks, and this was the most comfortable bed in a long time. The pet fee is reasonable, $15 dollars is worth it. I know the hotel has just been under renovation, but the stains on the carpet outside the elevators, and the lobby area need some work to add to the appeal of the common areas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Felicia M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Westchase, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I wanted to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I have already discussed your comments to our team. Your comments were very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I left a rival extended stay down the road because it was dirty, the kitchen flooded and the staff was rude. Needing a hotel in a hurry I called Candlewood to see if they could accommodate me for two weeks. They were great. I was so impressed with this location I contacted their corporate office. The front desk bent over backwards to get me settled in. The room was great. The recent remodels really paid off. The kitchen was loaded. The bathroom was spacious and stocked with soft towels. Flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom areas. Comfortable posturpedic bed with nice sheets. Huge desk area for work. Plenty of seating without feeling cramped. Plenty of parking, workout facility and free laundry.Quiet hotel with good access to the highway and Westheimer rd. My only complaint was the slow Internet. Other than that I am completely satisfied with my stay. I'll be back in Houston for another 3 weeks next year and this is where I will stay. I travel alot and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Candlewood Suites Westchase. It is our goal to make all of our guest feel welcomed. I appreciate you take the time to write a review of our hotel. Hope you will be back to see us soon.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have nothing but great things to say about this hotel. It was very clean and well maintained. They are pet friendly and have very reasonable fees. Joe at the front desk was super friendly and very helpful. The hotel has been updated and have done a beautiful job.I can not think of one bad thing to say except that I couldnt stay longer and had to return home. I will be frequenting Houston much more often now that I have found such an awesome hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Elysian Fields, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Same dull entrance as per usual for C.wood but the rooms! Super!!! So comfortable and well appointed. I usually stay across the street at Holiday Inn but no more! Much better price and MUCH better accomodations. I gather this place has had a recent face-lift. If so, it worked.
The staff...wow...could not be any sweeter.
The general manager, Felicia Mitchell, actually to the time to draw me a map to the location for a very important meeting. I did not trust my GPS. She was spot on! I did not catch the names of the other two young ladies working there but they were every bit as nice.
I will be back to this one...
Oh, beds were super comfortable...slept like a baby

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim H
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Made a reservation at this location due to working in the area. Received a letter a couple days later saying they are working on the property.
They should have refurbished this place years ago. Really old and beat up. Very noisy- both from the highway and other rooms. 19" tube TV with fuzzy cable. Odd smells in rooms and hallways. Elevator takes forever- better to just hike the stairs.
I did not see any work going on.
I would not recomend staying here until it has been fully refurbished. There are a three brand new hotels in the area.
No breakfast- you can fight for space in the tiny "pantry" in the morning to try and get something to eat.

Room Tip: bottom floor towards parking lot is the worst. Noisy and car headlight shine right in your room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mrsoul
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston Westchase, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear mrsoul,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We hope you liked the location of our hotel. We are currently undergoing a $1.5 million renovation through mid June 2012. We are sorry we fell below your expectations during your recent stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. Once we finish our renovations, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W