“One of the few vegan options in Houston - great food, but a little pricey”

Pepper Tree Vegetarian Cuisine
Ranked #488 of 8,206 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Houston, Texas
“One of the few vegan options in Houston - great food, but a little pricey”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I went here after doing some online research for vegan dining options in Houston. The food was good, but we had to ask what everything was since there were no signs or labels. Everything we had tasted good, and we enjoyed knowing everything was vegan. However, we both left feeling that while good, it was a bit overpriced and we'll limit going back as most of the food did not seem healthy or lowfat. A great place to check out at least once, but it is not our favorite place in Houston.

• Visited May 2012

Houston, Texas, USA
“Overrated”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I frequently consult the reviews on tripadvosor before I dine & I must say, this time, the reviewers were completely inaccurate! My wife & I visited this restaurant this past Sat for lunch & to my dismay, I thought I walked into a Chinese buffet! I love Chinese food, but I was expecting something different. Nothing at the buffet had a tag identiying what it was, but from what I could tell there were spring rolls, fried rice, rice wrapped 10 different ways, more misc. fried foods, & oh yea tofu. The buffet price... An unbelievable $15/person on the weekend (This includes water that is already in the glass waiting for you at the end of the buffet)!! Really? This place should be ashamed to charge over $5 bucks! To top off this experience, some kid was screaming his lungs out the entire time we were there. Let's just say this was our first & last experience at Pepper Tree.

1 Thank Erskine B
“Excellent vegan restaurant”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I go here often and enjoy not having to ask if the food contains anything I can't eat as a vegan. It is my favorite place to take out of town visitors. The buffet is not available weekday nights, but there is an extensive a la carte menu, with some excellent choices. Soup and salad can be ordered instead of the full buffet. There are two soups: miso-tofu and sweet and sour.

Some of the buffet items are deep fried, but there is sufficient alternatives that it is not necessary to eat them. Try them though - they are quite delicious, as is the coconut cake, which I like to add chocolate sauce to!

• Visited December 2011
“Wonderful Vegan Cuisine”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This restaurant should definitely be on your list if you are vegan. The lunch buffet has a wide variety of choices, including some desserts. I admit that I like my meat, but this restaurant offers a tasty and healthy alternative that I will enjoy going back to. The dishes are mostly drawn from Asian cuisine. Try it, you'll like it!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank dbinhou7511
Rockport, Texas
“Vegan Delight”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is one of the best restaurants for fabulous vegetarian and vegan food in Houston. The location is bland, in a strip shopping center, and the decor is functional but the food is fabulous. Try the lunch buffet for variety or off the menu for favorites. The owners are very friendly and helpful and encourage novices to try different foods. Everything is fresh and the analog "meats" will fool all but the most die-hard carnivore. My only complaint is that I have to wait until we are in Houston to eat here.

• Visited October 2011