“Satisfactory”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown
Ranked #391 of 504 Hotels in Houston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
CORSICANA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our room was large, clean and well furnished. We loved the hot breakfast, excellent a/c, convenient parking. I was grouchy when we checked in and the receptionist was patient and kind. Construction in the immediate area made the location a real learning experience. My sister and I were attending the International Quilt Festival at the George Brown Convention Center, so that part of the location was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

2 Thank JOANIE T
LONGVIEW
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The cable in my room had been severed, rendering my tv useless. I asked that it be repaired. While Alex did what he could the maintenance staff had left for the day and he didn't have a replacement cable. I was told that maintenance would have it repaired the nex day. I was not. Alex offered to 'borrow' one from another room or move me to another room. I felt like moving was an inconvenience and didn't move. I checked out the next day. Alex was left at the motel by himself and had no options available to him. He was informative and offered solutions but limited in his ability to assist.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

hojohoustontx, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston in which to stay.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

• Mr. Alex was informed of the nice things you said about him.

• Maintenance was notified of the problems you experienced with the TV and instructed to look into its repair.

• I am very sorry for the way things worked out for you.

I hope that the next time you visit here you will find your visit to be much more satisfactory.

Hotel manager.

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

SAN ANTONIO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

There's a reason why the rate is so good at only 9 minutes to downtown Houston, and it's because it''s right by the freeway, and in the back of a gas station, in a rather sketchy area. I was also woken up at 6am by beeping sound outside--sounded like a construction noise, like a big tractor backing up, etc. Rooms are also stuffy and not well ventilated. Windows have no blinds, so I had the curtain closed the whole time, which made the room so dark, even wiht every lamp in the room on, because there was no ceiling lamp. The front desk staff was great, however. Stay here if you just need a place to crash and don't want anything else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

• The front desk was informed of the nice things you said about them.

• Maintenance was notified of the problems you experienced with the window and instructed to look into something can be done.

• I am very sorry for the way things worked out for you.

SAN ANTONIO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

the air conditioner groaned continually at a level that prevented sleep.
We asked for a new room, but the alternative room offered smelled bad.
It is obvious that remodeling is occurring, but it should include fundamental changes like replacing failed utilities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance was notified of the problems you experienced with the air conditioner and instructed to look into something can be done.

• Maintenance staff and housekeeping staff were notified of the nasty smell you reported in alternative room offered and asked to look into it and see what could be done about eliminating it.

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Dear Sirs,

I am Assistant Director of a language academy in Denver (30+ employees). My business booked late (end of June 2012) for a NAFSA (educators') Conference and Howard Johnson Inn Katy Freeway was the only place with available rooms. When I arrived I noticed the room smelled musty, but since it was late I just went to bed. When I returned from the conference the next evening, I noticed mold in the corner of my room and determined to leave first thing the next day because of the hour. However, while in bed something bit me and I decided to check under the mattress (between the mattress and box spring). There I found moldy garbage: a plastic bag with some mystery material inside wrapped in paper towels as well as a mold filled serving tray which had permeated the mattress above with mold. I took photos of all this with the night manager present. I left that same evening for another hotel. The next day I was treated very rudely and sarcasticly when I called to talk about the matter. As a client I was sickened. Any hotel that allows the premises to deteriorate to the condition this hotel is in despises and resents their guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lon k
hojohoustontx, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that the location was a good one for you.

• The front desk received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guest.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Garland, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

The room appeared to have been recently painted and was very clean. It was missing one light bulb but that was taken care of promptly. Parking would be aproblem if all the rooms were occupied but we had no problem. Breakfast didn't match what we have found at Best Westerns but it was adequate. Staff was friendly and responded to every request promptly. Major problem was the construction going on the access road and that's not the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: Get a good map. The access road for I10 does not always get you there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Morris G
, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received our commendation for the level of cleanliness they maintain as our employees.

• Housekeeping received my personal commendation for the level of cleanliness they maintain as our employees.

• Staff received our commendation for the courteous, friendly manner in which they treated you, our valued guest. Their promptness was especially commended.

• Staff received my personal commendation for the courteous, friendly manner in which they treated you, our valued guest. Their promptness was especially commended.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Houston. We look forward to welcoming you back.