“Pretty Good Quality Hotel.”

Comfort Suites - Near the Galleria
Ranked #235 of 506 Hotels in Houston
MidWest
“Pretty Good Quality Hotel.”
Reviewed December 24, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a visit to Houston. I picked it largely because the location was very close to one of the people we were visiting, as well as fairly centrally located vs. being on the outskirts of the city. I have also stayed at several Comfort Suites, and they are usually decent enough. 90% of Houston is a ghetto, so picking something that is not in the suburbs that is halfway decent is difficult.

I think I paid a tad over $300 for 3 days there after taxes, which wasn't too bad. That's a bit higher than I like to pay, but overall I was satisfied.

Since it was on busy Richmond Ave. and in a very urban and arguably ghetto part of Houston, I was a bit worried about noise and crime. Literally within walking distance a couple blocks away is some of the most crime ridden ghetto in all of Houston. Turned out we did not have any issues. Our room was on the first floor with a window facing Richmond Ave., and surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be. In fact, with the A/C or fan turned on, you can't hear the street noise much at all. With it off, you can only hear louder vehicles, but in general, the window was insulated pretty well from sound.

There were signs all over the parking lot (in every other parking space) warning you to lock your doors and secure your valuables, and given the area, I was a bit worried about my car getting broken into. Turned out I parked near the front lobby my entire stay, and there were no problems. The parking lot was pretty well lit. I would not park my car in the back though. It would be too easy for someone to jump the fence and break into your car.

The grounds were well kept and pretty, with lots of trees and bushes. I especially liked the magnolia trees.

The room was clean and pretty spacious, and on line with most Comfort Suites. Internet connection was decent and fast enough. Breakfast was good and well tended to.

Staff were friendly, especially the maids and the girl at breakfast.

The only thing that I don't like about this hotel is the tight location and the location on Richmond Ave. in general. I never feel too good about staying in a hotel that is surrounded by ghetto, but they seem to keep the riff raff off the property somehow. I would be a bit freaked out if I had a nice car, but I had a rental car that I didn't really care about. I would stay there again under the right set of circumstances.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BigMountainTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The front desk personnel were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Check-in and out were quick and easy. The room had two double beds, was large, clean and well lit. The bed was comfortable and clean. Plenty of pillows and hot water. The bathroom was spotless. Breakfast one morning was scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, cereals, a variety of pastries and drinks. The next had a ham and egg fritatta. Food was fresh and very good. Seating area small but adequate. In room free WiFi worked well. No connection issues. Did not use gym. Vending machines in hall had a wide selection of moderately priced drinks and snacks.
Would highly recommend it. Great value for the price. Clean, well lit, good service, with comfortable, clean beds.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Masstraveler2010
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Excellent customer service, the shuttle was so convenient getting back from the company I was visiting everyday. Very clean and spacious rooms. Love the waffles and the variety in Breakfast. Everyday was something different. All the people that work here are very nice and helpful. I highly recommend it and will definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Alo82
Belton, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I found Rachel (the manager) very helpful and accomodating. They delivered the guest wedding welcome bags I had made up and had them in our guests rooms when they checked in. Several of our guest mentioned the staff calling them about their rooms inquiring if they had any issues or questions. Great customer service!!
The ONLY negative issue was that the hallways upstairs were NOT cooled. Given the energy issues today that was not as big of deal as it once would have been.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank DMc030974
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Staff is courteous, friendly and always aware of the needs of the guests. Very clean rooms and excellent selection on breakfast! Excellent place to stay for any business trip. Location very close to galleria.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AshC_10
Boston
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed onlyone night at this hotel but were very pleased with the service - we were traveling through from MA and the hospitality was superior! Tami was great - she recommended a wonderful restaurant during our stay. They were even more accomadating when I had left my wallet behind and needed it FED EX'ed to me since I had already driven 400 miles away from the location. Thanks again Rachel and Tami!

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank TravelBugFever
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2009

This was my company's first trip to Houston, so there has to be a bit of a learning curve... We choose it due to it's location - mid-way between down-town and the energy corridor etc. however on the location - if you like to visit the seedier venues, it maybe for you. The next time we go, it'll probably be closer to the town.
The hotel itself was friendly enough, clean, OK breakfast, free internet access and in general generous sized rooms. The fact it didn't have a bar was a bit of let-down - it would have been good to unwind last thing in the evening.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business