Comfort Suites - Near the Galleria
  • Room Service
$235
$200
  • Pool
Club Quarters Hotel in Houston(Houston)(Great Value!)
$262
The Houstonian(Houston)
$399
Preferred Hotels
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$247
$219
$334
$299
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
All reviewscoffee tablehotel propertycoffee makergreat customer servicegalleria mallyogurtcsvaluablesmicrowavesofaweddinglinens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2013

A good friend from Wisconsin was in Houston for a conference, so I drove down from Dallas to spend the evening with her. She was already booked for this Comfort Suite. It was convenient to her conference, and was close to the Galleria for shopping for me, and to some really good restaurants.
The room was very comfortable and well appointed. The bath had granite counters, and a great shower in the shower/tub.
There were 2 queen beds which were super comfortable and (shocking!) the pillows were so comfy I didn't even use my own, which I had brought with me.
There was also a sofa and a couple of chairs in the room. Very spacious, very clean, very comfortable.
They were having a wine and cheese happy hour in the lobby when we arrived, plus had continental breakfast the next morning.
We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean and inviting.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor facing the back parking lot. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review mostly as a parent of a 2yr old. This hotel seems to suffer from a bad location combined with either financial issues or apathy of the management. I don't know the history of this place, maybe it was better when it was built, but the surrounding area is pretty nasty right now, and the hotel is not untouched by it.

On our first day, I was walking with my daughter exploring the halls, and observed a prostitute and her client enter the room two doors down from mine, with her pimp/guardian waiting a bit further on. Sure, this can happen at any hotel, but it's the first time in all the hotels that I have used that I have observed this.

Besides witnessing prostitution two doors down, my biggest issue is with the doors. There is no second deadbolt. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you have small children it is. The primary deadbolt automatically opens with the turn of the handle, meaning that your child can open the door from the inside. There is a secondary mechanism that allows the door to open about an inch, just the right size for little fingers. You can imagine the possibilities.

There are stumps out front, crawling with fire ants, which attacked my daughters feet as she walked in the grass.

Other cons:
The couch was stained in multiple areas, obvious to anyone. The faucet was installed lopsided, and the handle and valve itself were completely dysfunctional. The closet is tiny.

Pros:
This hotel is actually okay. It has its issues, as listed above, and I'm sure there are more that I haven't noticed, but generally it is fine.

The pool is great. It has waterfalls, which the kids love.

The breakfast is good. Fairly typical of what you might expect.

Our room had a mini fridge, as you would expect for something labeled a suite. Very important if you have kids.

Flexible LED bedlights are a big plus, along with a separation wall that blocks the light to the other part of the room.

We requested a porta-crib, and some extra pillows for ourselves, on short notice. Helped us with that quickly.

If it wasn't for the issues of location, I would give Comfort Suites near the Galleria three stars. But seeing that there are panhandlers at every corner, and surely worse people that you don't see, derelict buildings, etc., I can't go average on this one.

Also, I read some other reviews here, where the management said they were performing renovations in late 2012. They said this, but we had stained upholstered furniture and a terrible sink...

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank dan c
racheltx671, Manager at Comfort Suites - Near the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. I want you to know that I appreciate your comments and feedback. It helps us to understand where improvement is needed and it's great to hear the good comments as well. Unfortunately, we tend receive bad reviews based on location from families. Corporate travelers seem to find it convenient as we are so close to major highways, Galleria, and all the corporations near by. I apologize and I wish I could avoid some customers, but as you mentioned, we are a hotel after all. In regards, to the renovation, we are running behind due to items in backorder. You may have noticed though the new carpet and paint. New sofas should arrive shortly and lighting will be completed within the next two weeks. Again, thank you for your time and hopefully you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is being remodeled, that doesn't seem to hold them back renting out the rooms.
I had the displeasure to stay in room 302 and when the generator turned on at 10:30 at night the hole wall started shaking and vibrating, it was like sleeping in a sound box.
The bathroom had overflown by the previous renter so the floor was soaking wet.
When I checked out pre maturely they just said sorry.
Unbelievable

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jaap677

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our location. Please accept my apologies for all disturbances due to the remodeling of the hotel. Yes we are open for business and as noted in our website and at the entrance of the hotel, we are currently updating. However although some rooms are not completed, a wet carpet room should not be rented. I'm sorry that I was not able to fix the problem as I was not aware of it until check out time. Again, please accept my apologies and I hope once we complete our renovation, you will give us a chance to extend our usual service.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Galleria Area is very misleading, it is about 4.5 miles from the Galleria, and in my opinion the location is not very good. The rooms need to be updated. Old style heating and cooling unit, you are either hot or cold. Front desk staff was just acceptable not very helpful. Asked for list of restaurants in the area, and they could not furnish. Only restaurant they knew was Ruth Chris which is very close, but everyone doesn't ear at Ruth Chris.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank robertfranks2
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Recently I stayed at this hotel for four nights. I have no complaints at all the room was huge!!! The bed was comfortable and it was centrally located to everything and was just a few blocks away from the highway. The Galleria mall was just a few short blocks away. Plenty of Good restaurants close by. Ruth's Chris was next door. Not a 5 star hotel with lots of amenities but the FREE breakfast was better than some that I've bought at restaurants. I'm not a picky high end traveller so if your not this hotel is perfect if you get it for the right price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends