“Like a bad college apartment”

Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria
Ranked #134 of 510 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Like a bad college apartment”
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Staying for work? Skip this hotel. Walking to your room in bad weather isnt cool (doors are open to the outdoors). The desk chair couldn't be raised to a good height to use the desk for my laptop. Traffic near the mall is a nightmare. This hotel only offers delivery orders, no room service or nearby restaurant suggestions. The couch and chair had so many stains that I covered with a towel prior to use. The little kitchen table featured a hair.

On the bright side, I like the shampoo and loved the full size coffee pot. Thanks for the water bottle and Special K bar on day of departure. Breakfast was good (I had hot oatmeal). I'm sure they are doing their best with the property they've been dealt. But I'm not going back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Roxanna C, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Cindy,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Residence Inn Galleria. As an exterior property, we pride ourselves on the privacy we offer our valued guests by offering personal entrances to each suite; however, this does not excuse the quality you found in the services we extend to our business travelers. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and am truly remorseful for the conditions of the couch, desk, and cleanliness of your suite. I will be sure to review this with our entire operational staff.
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the small touches our hotel has to offer and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you during your future travel to the Houston Galleria Area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Was expecting more being a Marriott property. This is an old motel converted into a Residence Inn. Hot water was out for the whole property on the second night of my three night stay. I was notified of this via memo delivered to room. When I inquired when it would be back on the front desk staff didn't even know the hot water was out. She put me on hold and when she came back to the phone informed me that they hoped to have it up by 8am the next morning and that they would give me 200 Marriott points for the inconvenience...it was a long night quick shower and difficult shave. Even before I checked in they called to tell me they were over booked and that I needed to go to a different property for one night. Then I get another voicemail a few minutes later asking e to disregard the previous message.

Was just not a good experience overall.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Roxanna C, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for telling us about your experience at the Residence Inn Galleria. We pride ourselves on excellent guest satisfaction and are truly disappointed in ourselves for the poor service you received at our hotel. We value and appreciate your feedback and will use this as a training tool to improve the overall experience we provide our guests. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to our hot water being out and our lack of proper communication throughout your entire stay. I assure you the entire staff will visit these issues and take the proper steps to prevent this from occuring again.

I hope you can accept our sincerest apologies; we would love to have the pleasure of hosting you for your future visits to the Houston Galleria area.
Dietikon, Switzerland
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed the night before we flew back from Houston to Europe. The hotel was excellent overall. Friendly reception, bottled water for the night, security features such as room key needed for the elevator to move up, covered parking, swimming pool. A while after checking in, we received a call to check if the room was ok. We found this to be a nice feature.
The proximity of the Galleria shopping centre is a plus when you, like us, prefer to walk to the restaurant for dinner rather than drive. The breakfast choice was good. I also liked the set up of the building 2-3 stories in a horse shoe form around a center building. Nice clean well equipped kitchenette, which we did not use. Would go there again if in the region.

Room Tip: Don't think it matters - all rooms seem to be faily equal.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Roxanna C, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn as your "home away from home" I am happy to hear our accommodations had everything you needed to make your stay a great experience. We look forward to hosting you at the Residence Inn on your future trips to the Houston / Galleria area
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Really appreciated the friendly lady named Lady at the front desk who went out of her way to be helpful, The location is great, across the street from the Galleria. Breakfast was good. Please note that this does not look like you typical Residence Inn. My guess is that it was an apartment complex built in the 70's and now that it is prime real estate, it was converted to a hotel. It's an odd setup but it still worked for us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Roxanna C, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn as your "home away from home" during your trip to Houston, we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We know you have a number of hotels to choose from in Houston and we than k you for your loyalty to Marriott.
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 9, 2012

First off let me state that this hotel in not up to Marrriott standards! I will keep this brief, our room 322, albeit a very spacious one bedroom, was disgusting and run down. The disgusting part was in the bathroom (please see attached photos) the shower was caked in yellow/brown scuz that had obviously been accumulating for a LOONNG time! I gave it the benefit of that doubt that perhaps it was hard water stained BUT NO, it easily scraped off!!! After reading many reviews on this site it is abundantly clear that this hotel has housekeeping issues that need to be addressed since the negative reviews about the lack of cleanliness go back to 2008!!!!! We did submit out photos to Marriott corporate and I informed the manager of my actions, she thanked me because they really want a renovation!!! I assertively explained to her that I can overlook the old and out of date decor because you can have "clean old stuff" BUT you cannot renovate filth!!!! C'mon Marriott I do hope you realize that if you can't upgrade the quality of your housekeeping staff your newly renovated hotel that you so desperately want will also be filthy in no time!!!
I will also say that the front desk staff is nice and friendly and the location is great BUT, at the end of the day I am not living with the front desk staff in my room and I am not paying to sleep in the Galleria itself, I have paid for a room that is guaranteed to be clean and well appointed at this Marriott property which has obviously been forgotten by corporate's quality assurance team.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen G
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback as this will assist us in improving the overall experience we provide our guest. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at the Residence Inn Galleria and want to re assure you we are looking into the cleanliness issues and taking the corrective steps to prevent this from happening again.

We value your business and I hope you accept our deepest apologies as we wish to restore your trust in us.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I checked in yesterday for an 11 night stay. Check in was quick and pleasant but the room (studio) does not meet expectations. I was not given a room option during booking this property and I was put into an old run down studio with dated furniture and a below average condition overall, I guess its fair to say that it has seen better days, the night was short with the noisy neighbours and loud A/C and some other rattling noise! The front desk was very helpful and polite nothing bad to say about their level of customer service and willingness to help. I have been promised to be moved to a new room today and been asked to leave all my belongings packed so that i can be moved when I am out today; lets hope they don't forget my expensive dietary food in the fridge! So fingers crossed and hopefully I can rewrite this review tomorrow and give credit where credit is due especially after i found out that my platinum rate is higher than some providers offer for this property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Roxanna C, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for making us aware of your current experience here at the hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experience at the time of your arrival, but do hope you give us a second chance to make things right. We know you have a number of hotels to choose from in the Houston area and wish to restore your trust in us. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance through the remainder of your stay.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Clean comfortable suite. Lots of room to relax though we didn't stay long enough to enjoy. Excellent breakfast buffet. Seating area was roomy and cheery. We would certainly stay here again. Kitchenette appeared well supplied bu we did not prepare any meals.

Room Tip: All rooms are within walking distance of the Galleria shopping mall.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! At the Residence Inn Galleria our goal is to make every guest feel at home and I am happy we where able to achieve our goal. We look forward to hosting you again on your future trips to the Houston / Galleria area.