“Questionable housekeeping”

Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria
Ranked #138 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Upon checking out, I would have rated this hotel higher. The room was large (a one bedroom, used to be an apartment), comfy, and had all that we needed. They even gave my children their own plastic bowls at breakfast to keep. The breakfast was also well done. I have to admit the waffles are the best we've had at any Residence Inn. Desk staff was friendly.
Once on the road, however, I realized I had forgot to unplug my iPhone charger, and left it in the room. We did call, and were told that housekeeping/lost and found had already left for the day. I would have thought that front desk personnel could access the lost and found, but I guess not. No matter, we called back the next day rather than leave a message. My husband was told they would look into it and call back. They did call back, saying that the charger was not found. I know I did leave it in the room. The fact that it was not found tells me one of two things. It was found and then "lost" again. Or if it indeed was not seen by housekeeping, they are not doing a stellar job of cleaning the room. Where it was plugged in, there should be no reason it was not seen when either wiping the end table down, or vacuuming.
Either way, very poor.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Belle112544
RIGalleria, Sales Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Thank you for making us aware of your recent experience here at the Hotel. It is only through guest feedback such as yours we can improve our services. I do hope we will have another opportunity in the near future to accommodate you when visiting Houston.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Friendly staff, but the rooms are nothing special. Terrible breakfast if you're used to European standard. Mushy scrambled eggs, horrible coffee. I didn't try the swimming pool, but it looked quite nice. It' very convenient for the Galleria shopping mall, where you should try the excellent Oceanaire fish restaurant. There's also an Apple Store.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Plasmaman
RIGalleria, Sales Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the moment to share your impressions of the hotel. I am sorry you were unable to find something to your liking on our hot breakfast buffet. We hope we will have another opportunity to serve as your host in the future. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed here for a mini family vacation that included visiting a few museums, zoo, and visiting the Galleria. The Location was great for us, since we did not need to worry about finding a parking space at the Galleria, and getting onto I-610 took about 2 minutes when we visited the museums nearby. Walking time to Galleria entrance (Kona Grill or former Borders) was also 2 minutes. Literally one half block, one walk light, 30 feet and inside. I've had longer walks from the parking garage!

About the room. We had a one bedroom suite (queen) with full kitchen (microwave, full size ref, dishwasher (noisey), two burner stove top, toaster, coffee maker, service for four, two pots/pans, can opener, bottle opener, corkscrew, serving utensils, cleaning supplies). Kitchen was older (formica top), while the bath had granite top. Shower head was good pressure, flow, and endless hot water. Provided shampoo was weak, but in the cabinent was extra kleenex and tp. We had three in the room and three sets of towels were provided. The main room had a sleeper sofa, the mattress on it was ok (bed in BR was great). When the sofa bed was out, no room to walk between it and the TV (missed the TV by 1 inch). Each room had a flatscreen, but reception was not HD. The package we had included covered parking (additional charge if not part of a package but fully disclosed by Hotel).

Each morning included a hot breakfast - which was very good to excellent - and varied a little each day (pancakes, french toast, or breakfast burritos), while make your own waffels, cereals, breads, bagels, mix your own yogurt, oatmeal (pecans, brown surgar, raisins) for mixing in. Scrambled eggs had cheese, jalepenos, and other stuff to mix in. Milk in skim, 1 % 2% and Chocolate, but no cream. I am leaving stuff out, but you get the idea.

Monday - Thursday evenings also includes food and drink mixer (not rated since we did not make any of these). Staff was friendly, and had preprinted directions ready for a lot of places, and quick to get for others. I don't know the cost, but grocery shopping for your room was available.

Internet is wired (free) in rooms. Wireless is in the lobby area.

Noise isolation, once we heard a car door slam, but other than that, quiet.

Neigborhood, apparently very safe, very quiet dispite being only a few hundred feet from lots of traffic. To the north on McCue are high end appartments and Condos. Or at least, they looked expensive and very nice to me. Anyhow, we walked the area and always felt safe. The hotel property requires a room key to get in after hours (or if walking a car doesn't open a gate for you). You need a room key to use the stairs or go up in an elevator.

As noted by some other guests, a little dated, but very comfortable place to stay, and very difficult to beat the location if you want to attend meetings or shop at the Galleria.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor will be quieter. Note the internet is wired. You have to go to the lobby to use y...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank skydad
RIGalleria, Sales Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

On behalf of everyone with the Residence Inn Houston by the Galleria we wish to thank you for allowing us to be a part of your family getaway recently. I am happy to see you enjoyed many of the amenities we have to offer our guests while staying with us. Our convenient location allows easy access to the Galleria and all the areas of Houston.

Your kind words are appreciated and have been shared with our staff. We know you have a number of hotel choices while visiting the Galleria area and thank you again for staying with us. We hope we will have the opportunity to host your family again.

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Staff friendly, honest and very helpful. They respond quickly to any concern or problem and pay attention to details. Great location, two minutes away from the Galleria mall with tons of dining options around it. Complementary internet connection (no wifi though, only cable), free parking (shaded parking is also available).
Room was decently clean, beds were comfortable with the exception of the sofa bed. Just one observation, the carpet was not very clean, it probably needs some shampooing. No one would probably notice, I found out black spots on my small baby cloths whenever she crawls around the room.
Overall, I recommend this hotel, good value for money...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bsaleh
RIGalleria, Sales Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2011

Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding our staff here at the Residence Inn Houston Galleria. It is our pleasure to serve our guests' needs. Also, thank you for informing us of the condition of the carpet in your room. We have scheduled all the rooms for a deep cleaning when available.

We hope we will have the opportunity to serve as your host on your next trip to Houston.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

The hotel is a pleasant walk to the Galleria Shopping Center. I felt safe walking back and forth to the property and was always greeted by the staff whenever I passed them in the hotel. I usually stay at Hilton's, but found this hotel was more reasonably priced for the area. The room was clean, bright and the kitchen area was well stocked. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Mirth60
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The hotel is in a serene area and very homely. The staff were friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the breakfast and happy hour. There is enough parking space for cars. It is close to the Galleria Mall and this make it very good for me. I enjoyed my stay. This is my second time of staying in this hotel and when next i am in Houston I will definetely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank TIA258
RIGalleria, Sales Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I'm happy that you found our staff was friendly and accommodating. It's always nice to hear from our guests how we did. Thank you for your continued patronage of the Hotel and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The hotel was very clean, the staff amazingly friendly and the breakfast was okay. Not much variety but still good. I loved my room and the kitchenette! It's just two minutes walk to The Galleria Mall, with its shops and restaurants to keep you very busy. I loved my 10 days stay there and I'm looking forward to another stay! And i had an early check-in!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank MaidinFargo
RIGalleria, Sales Manager at Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and services. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and all feedback is appreciated. We look forward to serving you again on a future visit to our area.