“Lacking; fitness facility is a joke”

The St. Regis Houston
Ranked #30 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 21, 2013

When you think of St Regis you think of a luxury hotel. I will admit that my room was very nice. But the service was lacking. The staff was pleasant but they didn't have enough staff. Check in took a long, the morning coffee in the lobby was cold and empty and no one got back to me when I asked to extend my stay by a night. But most importantly, the fitness facility was a joke.. If you are looking for a hotel that you want to get an early morning workout, try anywhere else.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mikefct
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your observations during your recent stay at the St. Regis, Houston and for recognizing our wonderful staff.

Your comments will allow us to counsel our associates in some service areas.

We are working on plans to expande the fitness center later this year as many guests do desire an early morning workout.

Look forward to having you as our guest in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I love the elegance and quiet of this property. The room was lovely, beautifully put together. The restaurant was excellent. The front desk and concierge were informed and helpful. However, housekeeping on the seventh floor left a lot to be desired.
Our room was not cleaned until after two o'clock in the afternoon. The housekeeper knocked at about eleven and we asked her to come back in half an hour. When we returned to our room at one, it was still not done. When she did finish, she did not leave both robes in the room, and only furnished one bottle of water. Strange.
The other problem was the server in the lobby. The bar/restaurant was closed because of a private function and we were waiting in the only lobby area, which also serves drinks, until the other restaurant opened. We wanted to drink with dinner, so only ordered water and soft drinks. The server made it very clear he was not happy with that. All four of us noticed it. This property is much too lovely to have such shoddy behavior. It was a shame, because it marred an otherwise perfect stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at the St. Regis Houston earlier this month.

Thank you for your compliments on the ambience of the hotel, the Remington, as well as the front desk and concierge associates.

We will, of course, counsel our houskeeping and bar staff on being more careful with the details.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed here on multiple occasions when I am in town and it was always a good experience. The rooms are decent size and the price is fair. I also like that it isn't too big and has a more intimate feel. Good location if you don't need to be downtown. It is very close to Galleria, River Oaks and Memorial and Downtown is only about 10 to 15 minutes by car.

One piece of advise: make sure you tell them that you do not want a room facing to the back as there is a train track there. Although trains don't run a lot, they start at 8 in the morning and you can definitely hear them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Your review of the St. Regis Houston is much appreciated. As a frequent guest is nice to read your impressions of the hotel's rooms and fair pricing.

Yes, the hotel is smaller and has a residential feel, being closed to River Oaks neighborhood, while also being close to the Galleria, Memorial and Downtown (just 10 - 15 minutes away).

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We live in Houston and decided to do a small getaway in February 2012 after the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. The hotel is beautiful and surprisingly quiet and secluded in the mist of its central location in the Houston Galleria area. Our first impression is one to remember. The smell of the fresh cut flowers along with the beautiful decor added to the luxurious ambiance of this hotel that is felt as soon as you cross the threshold.

We took the liberty of exploring the hotel grounds, as this was our first visit to a St. Regis brand hotel. The pool/gym area is very open and welcoming. The pool area is gorgeous, even at night.

We decided to get a couples massage, and the masseuses greeted us at our room and walked us to another hotel room specifically arranged for couples massages. This came as a surprise to us since we were not headed to the spa. It was actually quite nice to be away from other spa clients and our massage felt more intimate.

Love this hotel. Would go back for another weekend getaway!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Wow! Thank you for sharing your recent weekend experience at the St. Regis Houston as a staycation.

Your impressions of the Hotel, associates and the Spa are very much appreciated.

Why don't you do this again soon!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I am a big fan of Houston, but hotels can be hard to figure out. This is by far the best hotel, as the location is perfectly situated (convenient to downtown, and very close to Galleria, Memorial and River Oaks.) It is located off of San Felipe in a little pocket and has a nice lobby - not huge, but intimate and does NOT have the large convention hotel feel that the Four Seasons Houston has.

The bar is great - nice area to move around and even when crowded allows for movement.
I ordered an appetizer at the bar, and it wasn't my favorite - short rib sliders (tough meat, and it took 30 minutes to serve even when the bar wasn't busy.) However, I don't go to a bar to eat, and I liked the drinks and bar. The bartender was very nice.

The valet team was also very friendly and knowledgable of the area.

Definitely visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

We appreciate your review following your stay at the St. Regis Houston this month. Yes, the hotel is well situated between downtown and the Galleria, and has more of a residential feeling versus being in downtown Houston.

The Remington Bar is a favorite of guests and local residents and I am glad to read that you
found the drinks and ambience pleasing.

Thank you for the compliments to the bartender on duty and the valet team as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was really excited about staying at the St. Regis in Houston. I have stayed at other St. Regis properties and this one was not up to the usual standards. Maybe just because it's older and it's in Houston which isn't exactly a beautiful setting. The hotel seems very dated and the rooms were small with no balconies or views. The bathroom had a small shower/tub and was very unimpressive. The pool was also disappointing.

Overall, the stay was a good one though, and the hotel is in a very convenient location. The service was really great, the bar was nice, and other than being dated and small the rooms were very comfortable. I guess I just had too high of expectations. I probably won't stay here again, as I think there are better choices for cheaper in Houston.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Your comments following your recent stay at the St. Regis Houston are very much appreciated and I was disappointed to read that you did not feel the guest rooms were up to par for a St. Regis hotel. The hotel's guest rooms are the largest in Houston and renovated in the past few years. Yes, Houston is not a resort destination and therefore, our pool is not area is not set up
as a resort.

Thank you for recognizing the great staff here at our hotel, many of whom are long-tenured and pride themselves on providing only the finest in bespoke service.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

St. Regis is definitely a 5-star hotel. Very different from a traditional hotel, they really try to aim to make you feel like you're at home but at the same time that you're some big shot CEO. The service is so good it's kind of creepy. For example every time I came back to hotel from work they say "Welcome Back Mr. ___, how was your day?". Which sounds fine but they ask you this like 10x a day and they're clearly paid to do it. It's not genuine. Every touch point you have with the hotel they try anticipate what you want and help you in anyway. Sometimes I just want to be left alone. Also it's hard to distinguish between what's complementary and what's paid, and ofcourse any type of paid in-room service is way overpriced.

Internet in hotel was only 1Mbps. It was fine, and worked fine for voip calls. But still for browsing it is noticeably slow. I would expect better from a 5 star hotel with a $215/night rate.

There is no coffee maker in the deluxe rooms, but there is free good coffee and tea every morning in the lobby. But no one told me about this. I only discovered it on my last day.

There is no fridge either in the deluxe rooms. There is a mini bar but it's not cold enough for perishable items. We had to ask them to bring in a fridge into the room which they obliged and provided one.

So my feeling from St. Regis is it is luxurious, it is highly custom service, but some of it is misdirected and useless. I'd rather have a working fridge for example than their daily printed weather forecast service w/ chocolate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank badpanorama

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of our associate following your recent stay at the St. Regis Houston. Our staff prides itself on personalized service and I apologize if you found it a bit ingenuine.

With regard to the internet service, we have plans to improve this in the very near future as other guests have also expressed their concerns.

Yes, we do have morning coffee service in the lobby and I regret that the front desk did not
mention this to you on check-in. The mini-bar meets the refrigeration needs of most of our guests and I was pleased to read that they placed a refrigerator in your room when requested to fulfill your requirements.

Please come back to see us again soon.