“Perfection from start to finish”

The St. Regis Houston
Ranked #30 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kuala Lumpur
“Perfection from start to finish”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Recently completed a 3 week stay at this wonderful property

Lobby and Public Areas:
Posh- Don't come expecting the Burj Al Arab (which is good in its own way!)- Instead, the public areas are small and cozy, lots of fresh-cut flowers, polished marble and understated elegance mixed in along the way. It is luxurious yet unstuffy- with great service to match. Always a friendly face to greet me after a long day of work (or shopping)

The Hotel car
A nice, cool black Mercedes S550 with Gayne, a super friendly and professional driver. Pick ups and Drop offs were never an issue, although you may understandably need to wait a little during peak hours.

Guest room
My Grande deluxe is a huge corner room with a long, 3 seater sofa- i appreciated the 'separate' entry and bedroom- though I understand even the normal rooms have these. Gives it a much more 'segregated' feel, even though there are physically no doors separating your room from the entry. The bathroom was extremely clean and kept that way- shower curtains and every square inch was spotless.

The bed is ultra comfy outfitted to the brim with Italian brand Pratesi linens. Nothing more to say except I blame it for keeping me from work.

Remede toiletries were constantly replenished, and a fresh supply of towels always on hand. If I have to criticize- Perhaps reconsider the sale of toothbrush/shaver/tampons in the bathroom drawer? They should be on request at a posh hotel of this nature.

Also, there were no tea/coffee making facilities although a kettle jug is available on request. Morning coffee/tea off the lobby (or near the elevators somedays) is perfect- quality stuff on offer, you can see they don't skimp here! A huge selection of organic tea, fresh coffee and Austrian honey.

Dining
I frequently had room service and Remington. We also had afternoon tea once.

Room service- consistently high quality and arrives on time. However, the prices are steep but the service is gracious- no one hangs around for a tip (gratuity included in price)...small touches like how they make effort let the room door close slowly rather than 'bang' with the door mechanism shows attention to detail. They are very flexible with menu substitutions although I wished there was a more varied and international choice (maybe some Oriental options)

Remington (and the bar) - two separate restaurants; the bar and main dining room with the bar being my favorite. Extremely attentive service from Celia, whom I got to know well during my stay. Bar bites were good value and big enough to serve as an entree. Full Remington menu was also offered. I miss the burger and seafood pasta!

Afternoon tea
Delicious sandwiches, quality Staud Austrian jam (gosh the strawberry jam is 70% fruit content-the best I've seen- same Jam served in roomservice and breakfast) although I felt the service could be better. It's not that the wait staff slacked- they tried their best. I feel they should have more wait staff in there as they seemed overwhelmed when full. Harpist in attendance!

Overall- Fantastic. Scott at the concierge, Gayne the ever dependable driver, Tristan, Micah, Mike and the rest of the doormen/valet...Celia at the Remington, and the rest of the crew- Thanks for the fantastic stay! Gets my vote as Houston #1

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your exeptional experience at our Hotel and for recognizing some of our wonderful staff. Many are long-tenured and go above and beyond to ensure only the finest
service to our guests.

Please plan to see us again the next time you are in Houston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel still after many years with different names still deliver the quality charm warmth one can expect from such an hotel . The rooms are very nice and cozy.the bar ambiance is welcoming. And the food is very tasty. Simply recommended if one is in Houston to stay in this hotel

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you so much for recognizing the wonderful job our associates do to ensure that
each and every guest has an excellent experience at our Hotel over the years. We pride
ourselves on making indelible memories and bespoke service.

Please do not stay away too long and come back to see us soon.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having spend three weeks travelling on holiday my boyfriend treated me to my last night at the S Regis in Houston. This was the 8th holiday we had stayed in on this trip so I was starting to become a little 'fazed out' by the whole hotel experience. However I am glad to say that our stay at the St Regis totally got me back on track. It is definately a luxurious hotel and we had a gorgeous room which was so wonderfully designed with great lighting and a very cosy feel.

The bar is wonderful and takes you back in time and a cocktail here is an absolute must. We were going to dine in the restaurant but here it is a little negative as the lady on the restaurant desk was very unwelcoming and snooty so we decided to give it a miss. That was a shame.

Everything else about the stay was wonderful and the only think I would ask for is for a coffee making machine in the room as that is an early morning must.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IntrepidMe
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
So happy to hear that our Hotel while the last one of a long trip was the best one over three weeks.

We have a marvelous long-term staff here at the Hotel who pride themselves on providing only the finest in luxury service to all our guests.

Thank you for the information on the coffee machine; we provide complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning for our guests in lieu of machines in the guest rooms.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Whenever I'm in Houston, I usually stay at the Four Seasons downtown. This time I wanted to stay in the Houston Galleria area so I settled on the St Regis Hotel. I heard St Regis standards and service was equal to the Four Seasons Hotel. Unfortunately the Houston St Regis didn't come close. First of all the staff is not friendly upon arrival. Secondly and most importantly, the carpet in the room was dirty and the bathroom was disgusting!! There was urine on the back of the toilet where the toilet seat attaches, a pubic hair on the toilet seat, and a long brunette hair hanging on the toilet bowel. I travel with Lysol so I disinfected EVERYTHING myself. The standard is very low and a little cheesy. I ordered turkey bacon with my breakfast. It was under cooked and cold. I notified my waiter. He informed me that people usually order turkey bacon crisp if they would like it crunchy. He offered to replace the turkey bacon. What I did not expect, was that he meant they would continue cooking the same turkey bacon he initially served me. When he brought it back to my table, I took one bite and realized it was dry and inedible. House keeping steps on the linen as they change the bed linens. The service staff seem inadequately trained.
I would not recommend this hotel or ever stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank liya620
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for caring so much to share your recent experience at our Hotel. We would very much like to speak to you in detail about your concerns in person. This will assist us in
improving the experience of future guests of the Hotel.

Please feel free to contact Brian Coughlin, Front Office Manager, directly as he would be
most happy to hear from you. He may be reached at brian.coughlin@stregis.com or (713) 403-2626.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I live out of town but stay at The ST. Regis in Houston frequently because of the excellent service and attention to detail that they bring each and every day. From valet, to front desk and bellboy, the staff are friendly and attentive. The room is beautifully appointed with classic decor and plenty of space. The king bed isa super comfortable with lovely bedding. Prince who normally takes my Breakfast order is prompt and always has my order correct. Robert who normally is the server that delivers my order is courteous and always asks if I need anything else.. Chris and Miles usually my car out front before you checkout are very friendly and there to help with anything. Jose and Vickie are the ones that normally take care of me when Vi is out of the office. The hotel is pet friendly and I brought my dog and they had my room ready with food and water bowls and a doggie bed. People such as me and my wife who are dog lovers and have dogs as children can appreciate the attention to detail "even for my dog!" That was pretty impressive. I was visiting one time and was very sick and requested some saltine crackers and ginger ale. These two things were not stocked at the time. Vi went to the store without me asking or knowing and hand delivered them to me off shift. Just that litle extra bit of service made a huge difference to me and brightened my day although I was feeling under the weather. Thanks St. Regis Houston! I will always be coming back when I need a hotel to stay at.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
StRegisHouston, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Houston, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
As a frequent guest of the Hotel, you do recoginize what a fantastic job our associates do at
making sure that every guest's experience is perfect from beginning to end, even the dogs.
Thank for mentioning so many of our staff and how they assist with your stays.

We all look forward to seeing you back again in 2013.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I live in Houston and we stayed at The St. Regis for one night just to get away for the weekend, and felt as if I had gone out of town! It's a beautiful hotel, albeit a bit older, but nonetheless luxurious and sophisticated. The service is top shelf and the staff attentive to our needs. The rooms are very large and decor is very modern. My only complaint is that the bed/pillows could have been more comfortable; but to be fair, I am picky about my mattresses. The restaurant is incredible: excellent food and even better waitstaff. It's a great place to visit if you're looking for a romantic dinner, and they have Sunday tea/brunch as well for ladies. There is a bar with room for dancing and an intimate lounge that's more quiet. We were there on a Saturday night and the ambiance was very romantic. As for other amenities, the workout room is rather small and the machines looked old, but it's not bad. The spa is located in the gym area so it's not very large and they were booked the day of our visit, but they offer massages/facials. The hotel is near the Galleria, which makes a visit there very convenient. All in all, one of my favorite hotels to have another staycation in Houston.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kwaziness
It was great to read that you chose the St. Regis Houston for your weekend staycation and thank you for your compliments on the service level of our associates and the great food.

We have plans to expand the spa/fitness center next year and thank you for your input on this.

Please return again soon to the best address in Houston!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Service:
From valet, to front desk and bellboy, the staff are friendly and attentive. Excellent service.

Room:
The room is beautifully appointed with classic decor and plenty of space with work desk, two sofas and chaise lounge to watch TV. The King sized bed is super comfortable with lovely bedding.

Food:
The in-room service is fantastic with on-time delivery for breakfast. The fresh juice was great and the tea nice and hot, coupled with bircher muesli and fruit, made an excellent start to the day. Treated myself to high tea service in the Tea Lounge and was pleasantly surprised with the harpist playing Christmas songs and other classics. A most relaxing ambience. High tea food itself was lovely. The tea selection recommended was great with savoury and sweet dishes. The savoury was a little disappointing as the bread had gone a little soggy, and the chicken filling was edible but not delicious. The cured meat, cheese and cucumber fingers were also ok. The petit four and scone made up for the lost brownie points, as they were absolutely delightful. I'm used to paying $40 for high tea in Australia, however for Houston (and USA in general) I believe the price tag is a little too expensive.

Overall:
Would definitely stay again, and hope there is time to try the Spa services on the next business trip. On another note, it would be fantastic to also have nail service at the Spa, as I had this done in Galleria (5 mins drive away).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CandiedRosePetals
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the St. Regis Houston earlier this month
and for recognizing the best address in Houston. Please come back to see us again soon.