“Terrible stay in Houston”

The St. Regis Houston
Ranked #36 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We stayed for two nights whilst visiting family over Easter. This hotel does not deserve to be in the St. Regis family. The first suite they tried to put us in smelled of mildew, the couches had stains on them, the lampshades had tears and there were holes in the carpeting. The second suite we viewed was better, although we could hear the construction work which was going on below us (we were on the 10th floor) so the view had alot to be desired.

Beware if you are at the pool and order anything at all, it all comes from room service so there is a $4 delivery charge as well as 21% service charge added to the bill (even if you just order drinks). We disputed this but the food manager said that was their policy. This is something my husband and I were taken back with - since we have NEVER been at a hotel little lone the St. Regis chains were these types of charges were added to our bill whilst at the pool or bar. You would expect those charges if you ordered room service in your room!

The only staff that seemed to be on their game were Juan and Mika who were bellman. Everyone else, including the front desk manager seemed to be annoyed that we expected superior service. We only stayed at this St. Regis because we are starwood members and had always had good experiences with the Westin and St Regis chains - not again. The last time we were in Houston we stayed at Hotel Derek which is just around the corner and dare I say, we will be staying there or Hotel ZaZa in future.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank susanj1310

Reviewed March 7, 2008

This hotel was recommended by a Houston friend. I didn't tell her how bad I thought it was.
I wish I had read some of the reviews here first, but it was a last minute trip.
I just read one review and have to agree: the carpets are a bit dirty, the room not fresh smelling (like smoke), mold on the shower curtain, and all the furnishings and paint a bit shabby. I've stayed at so-so hotels which were a bit run-down, and sometimes there is a certain charm in them. But for this hotel's prices and ratings, I expected a lot better (which I got when the next day I stayed at the Mansion at Turtle Creek in Dallas). If you arrive at this hotel tired from traveling, you will find yourself in a bad mood just by being in this hotel.
I will say the staff is helpful and friendly; the food in the restaurant good; the decor in the lobby is very pleasant.
But clearly this hotel needs a major makeover.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank zandynyc
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Hotel is very attentitive with largerooms and first class service. The staff actually remebers your name and will drive you to the Gallaria if you ask. While I truly enjoyed my stay I feel it is inappropriate for a first class hotel to charge for internet service given the price of the rooms. Also for a first class hotel you would think they would upgrade the televisions in the rooms to flat screens as what is there is what one would find in a Holiday Inn. Overall it was a great stay with a great bar and bartender!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2007

Recently stayed at hotel (Nov 30th) and received great service along with great room (Jr Suite). I was able to get a upgrade due to being a SPG Member. I was a little nervous after reading the reviews on T. Advisor as they were mixed. As it turned out the service, staff, and room was great.

My only complaint was the men's steam room was out of service, other than this issue everything was fine.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for excellent service along with having access to all the great shopping arond the corner. The hotel is tucked away off the busy street so it's not as noisy as some of the other hotels near the Galleria.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I'm shocked to see the 'yuck' review. Our stay was exceptional. Our room was spacious and immaculate. Bedding was excellent and fully changed daily (or twice daily, when the turn-down service decided it needed refreshing). Staff was courteous and helpful. Concierge was extremely informative. Doormen were very prompt with the car. Everyone was friendly.

Location is nice because it is away from the main road on a quiet street, yet just minutes from the Gallaria and easy access plenty of restaurants and shopping. Two minutes from I-610.

Check your rate! The rack rate was $500, the spg best internet price was $300, my spg gold card 50% price-off price was $250. But booking through AAA the same room was $195. Go figure! But at that price, this room was a steal.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank gnolect
Reviewed October 8, 2007

This hotel needs to be renovated, the furniture in our room was not nice and the carpet was gross, the room smelled old and musty. The hotel staff is condescending. I came expecting the best and was severly dissapointed. I recently stayed at a Ritz Carleton and found the service to be much, much better. I would not stay at a St Regis after this experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank lambchop30
Reviewed April 24, 2007

The St. Regis was absolutely incredible. Every member of the staff was friendly, helpful and went above and beyond. They must have quite a good system for identification as the desk clerk knew our names before we mentioned our room number.

Stayed: April 2007