“Great for IAH layovers”

Ranked #81 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Hyatt

Great breakfast setup; a galley where you help yourself to fruit, cereal, many kinds of bread, yogurt, juices, coffee and tea. Excellent way to start the day and the selection really caters to a wide range of tastes. I didn’t order anything, but ,for extra, you can have order-made hot dishes too.

Staff were exceptionally friendly and on-the-ball.

One tiny complaint was the coffee maker being dirty. Used it to make a tea and found black goop in the bottom of the cup.

A major complaint - the difficulty getting the free shuttle from IAH late at night. You need to carry the number and call them yourself ,as the Hyatt is not listed on the free phone set-up at IAH (something I hadn‘t even considered). If this information was on the website it would have been helpful. The IAH airport staff were great with their help, after three tries to find a phone that worked, as I wasn’t traveling with a phone.

Pre-book the shuttle back to the airport as it does fill up quickly at times.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was here for a business trip. I think that it is a good place to stay, easy to reach from the airport, like 15 minutes. The room are cleaned, polite and friendly emply. All the facilities are provide. The Breakfast start at 7.00 oclock and you can get everything you want. Very positive free shuttle from 6.00 a.m. until 2.00 am and two computer in the reception for free internet.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Used the Hyatt Place-for the first night of our holiday in Texas-took a bit of time to find it as hard to see from the sam houston parkway-when we did get there we found a most pleasant hotel-service was excellent in checking in and follow up service- we were provided a map to local mall etc and details of best routes for our next days travel.
Check out service and breakfast area and choices provided were first rate-a great hotel for the price-our thanks

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Roomy and accomodating. No complaints here! Staff were amazing and helpful. Couldn't believe the spacious room I received at the discounted rate I paid through Resorts Plus International.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2010

My husband and I had no hot water in the first room we were assigned, but after a call to the front desk, they sent a trolley and reassigned us to a room on another floor with hot water. That was the only issue we had. The gym was nice with water, towels, and headphones to use with the personal tv's on the cardio equipment, which is a nice touch. Breakfast was fine, but nothing special. The most important thing about our stay is that everyone we interacted with on the staff was friendly and helpful, which goes a long way. We stayed one night because we booked in order to be close to the airport. This is not the closest hotel to IAH, but it is not far away, and we wanted to get something decent and also affordable. This did the trick.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Pre-booked "pre-paid" for a room. After a LONG day in airports, got our rental car and headed to Hyatt Place IAH. Checked in 10:30 PM. First room - we opened the door to large piles of sheets and towels on floor, clearly forgotten by maids. Staff kindly reassigned our room. At the new room we left clothing on sofa, luggage items on bed and headed to grab a bite down in the lobby after going without food due to hectic travel day. Ordered pizza and glass of wine - they forgot our wine. Paid with $100 cash, staff member seemed nervous that I had nothing smaller - I don't think he understood how to make change well. He left my change on the counter and headed off again. He accidentally shorted me $9 while making my change (in $5's). Another staff member fixed it. My 30 year old daughter and I headed to our room. We crawled into our beds and 5 minutes later my daughter spotted a tiny, young bed bug near her pillow and jumped out of bed, only to find she had also been laying on another one. We wrapped all clothing removed from our luggage into plastic bags and sealed them. My daughter was seriously not happy and wouldn't consider being moved again - by that time we didn't ask about being moved to a 3rd room. It was check out time at 12:30 AM. My daughter used her room key to scoop the 2 bugs into a water glass to show the night attendant "Rene"... a nice man who helped make suggestions for another hotel at our request. He also confirmed (the truth) that the hotel had experienced a problem some months earlier, but he hadn't personally learned of anything recently. We appreciated his honesty. We left Hyatt Place in search of a new hotel in a city that we had little experience navigating.
By the time we found another hotel in the airport area (most were totally booked), it was 3 AM. We got the last room at the new hotel (I won't mention) but it had paper thin walls so we fell to sleep after doing laundry and overhearing the moaning of our neighbors "good times" before drifting off to sleep about 4:30. By 4:45 AM we were woken again after discovering the kitchen sink and food prep counter was located just behind our headboards on the opposite wall - where the maid/cook was busy preparing the entire hotel's complimentary breakfast menu. They finally got us moved to another room by 8:00 AM where we slept like zombies for 3 hours until it was time to check out, drive to Katy, TX an hour away, where my sister-in-law was waiting. So 4 room changes in 2 hotels in 1 night. I'm a frequent traveler, and have never had problems like this night presented.
Our trip was specifically to spend quality time with my brother's 9 month old twin sons. My brother passed away from brain cancer last March leaving his newborn children at the age of 6 weeks. It was an important family time that needed two rested people to be at their best. But thanks to Hyatt Place helping to set off a chain of unfortunate events - we were thoroughly exhausted the first two days of our short trip.
After checking out, the next day, the General Manager, David Rookard, was far from helpful, and served up excuses that "A Process" - Hyatt's process - would dictate my requested refund on my non-refundable room. He promised a call back within 24 hours that NEVER came btw. During our call he accused me (unnecessarily) on speaker phone of trying to turn things into a confrontation. My daughter could hear the call and it was clear by his demeanor, he no intention of refunding my money - even though legally there is supposed to be an exchange - "Consideration for Consideration" - money for something. And in this hotel's case, they were unable to provide a suitable room (Consideration) after 2 tries. Certainly it would have been good business practice to refund my money promptly. After feeling patronized and dismissed by the GM, I let him know that I also had my own "Procedure" for doing things, and if the Hyatt didn't make good on a refund over an issue that was clearly no fault of my own, that it would be reflected in my reviews on line. He obviously doesn't care, so you can determine for yourself what you think of my review, and whether or not you want to risk bed bugs and a bad attitude from Hyatt's policies.
I'm not near as upset about being a victim of a hotel with a bed bug problem, as I am being a victim of a recognized hotel chain who's GM treated us with such callous and unprofessional behavior. I sent Corporate a complaint as well, and never have heard back from them. Bed bugs are a serious issue for many states (TX & NY in particular at this point)... even the Waldorf Astoria is having problems. It's unfortunate and it's a VERY hard problem to treat. Bed Bugs often travel right home with you, and once you have them for stow-aways in your luggage and clothes, they are commonly yours for keeps. So, understand good hotels will have policies that protect their bottom lines by promoting good customer relations - in spite of issues. And when they can't perform in a contract, they need to pay up, or their reputations will likely suffer. They can't keep all bed bugs at bay always, but they can keep customers from being this angry.
On a happy note... Even though their email confirmation back in September clearly showed my pre-booked reservation had been pre-paid/non-refundable... I am finding NO record that their charge ever went through... someone at the desk where I called to reserve apparently screwed up - Karma works. Have a nice day... And, Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite! :-)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ladluke
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Stayed one night before catching outbound flight. Very friendly staff with timely check-in/check-out. Rooms were spacious and clean. Breakfast buffet was a little disappointing but is typical for the hotel industry today. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo