“Ok Hyatt not near airport”

Hyatt Place Houston Bush Airport
Ranked #88 of 516 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Allentown
“Ok Hyatt not near airport”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This Hyatt is average by most Hyatt standards. The service at the front desk was decent but not outstanding. It is about a 15 minute drive from the airport. Although they offer a shuttle to and from the airport, you need to call them from the airport to get picked up.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Gardnerville, Nevada
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Having stayed at Hyatt Place locations in other cities, I booked this location due to it being close to the Houston airport. We had a one night stay before flying out the next morning.

First, we had to call 3 times to get picked up from the airport by their shuttle, and it took 45 minutes. (Excuses: Not sure where the shuttle was; Are you sure you called us before?)

Upon arrival, I waited at the front desk to check in. After 5 minutes and 4 or 5 employees walking by and ignoring me, another wandered by and processed me. She wasn't rude, but definitely not welcoming.

The rooms are clean, bed comfortable, but missing the amenities that I have found in other Hyatt Places (nightlight, cups) and only one elevator was working.

Breakfast was good, but the hot food and coffee were not replenished when they ran out. We were there around 8 am and it just seemed no employee was paying much attention to the breakfast area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We visited this hotel for the weekend. The price we had paid per room was just average. Nothing too expensive, but it wasn't cheap either. The bedroom was a double room (2 double beds) and it also had a pull out sofa which wasn't used. It was very spacious room, comfortable Air Conditioning, however, the bathroom was a bit tiny. It had a mini fridge for our use. However, the hotel's location was away from anything centric. We stayed for the weekend and apparently things around this hotel close really early or just don't open at all during the weekend. We had to take a cap to go eat to a restaurant and paid $80 round trip for the ride. Thank goodness we split it among my friends and I. The breakfast at the hotel was decent. We had cereals, bagels, toast, coffee, juice, milk, yogurt, fruit and some warm egg muffin sandwiches, small pancakes or waffles. It was plenty for a quick FREE meal in the morning.
Back to the location: because of the horrible location of this hotel we weren't able to eat somewhere decent the night we arrived from the airport and had to grab some bad sandwich from the hotel's front desk for $11 bucks!
The service at the hotel was so so. The shuttle never made it to the airport and we took another shuttle from another hotel chain. The check in was a bit tedious and apparently the is no manager on duty. The same two guys were playing different roles: front desk reception/bartender/shuttle drivers. I know it must have been hard for them to do all of these, however, the service is affected. Also, the shuttle back to the airport runs only on the hour so make sure you talk to the front desk people to get the right shuttle information. We didn't know about this until almost too late. I might not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed two days, two different rooms.

Pros:
Great location (our flight landed at Bush at 10:30PM)
Safe area.
Short distance from parking to room entrance.
Free parking.
Free Wall Street Journal (important for me)
Great value!
Good breakfast including hot items.
Super friendly staff!

Cons:
Some minor updates needed in rooms
Breakfast area large but food area needs to be larger

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Room was generally clean but we experienced a plumbing problem during our stay. We were first told to expect someone in 20 minutes. After a follow up inquiry, and 90 minutes, someone finally did so up. Only one elevator worked. No hot water for showers. Breakfast food service was awful (out of coffee, out of cream, out of food items, etc.)

• Stayed December 2013
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We came to visit Houston for the Texas Bowl game and chose this hotel because of its great rate of $60/nt. Even at this great price, I wouldn't ever stay here again. When we arrived at the hotel on Friday night, the woman who checked us in was a bit rude. I wouldn't call her angry but she wasn't friendly by any means. We've had issues with breakfast being available at Hyatt Place so I specifically asked her if breakfast would be an issue for us if we came down at 9 o'clock the following morning. The clerk briefly look at her computer, as if to check occupancy levels and then responded, no you should be fine.

The room was large and fit our needs perfectly. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable.

The following morning is when we started really started experiencing the ineptness of this hotel management. At 9am, we went downstairs for breakfast. Upon arrival there were about 15 people standing in the serving area with empty plates and forks waiting for food. With exception of orange juice, everything was out of stock. Even the coffee was gone. After waiting for two minutes and hearing other guests getting upset, I saw a staff member taking the trash out of the bin. When I asked her if they would be bringing any more food out, she explained that they were completely out of food. This is one hour before the breakfast service was to be complete. She said there wasn't anymore eggs or muffins. When I asked about the coffee she just shrugged her shoulders. Upset, I took my family back upstairs with intentions of showering and grabbing breakfast some where else.

When we started the shower, there wasn't any hot water. We called to the front desk and the clerk said that they were having boiler issues and it would be some time before we got hot water. At this point $60/nt didn't seem like such a good deal. I had prepaid our stay through the Hyatt website, so I went downstairs to speak with a manager.

When I got downstairs, I was told by the front clerk that there wasn't a manager on duty. I explained issues that we've been having and told him that we would not be staying another night and I wanted a refund for our entire stay. the clerk explained that he would not be able to authorize that only the general manager would be able to provide that to me. I asked he call the general manager to get authorization and he did, but the GM would not return his phone call.

My wife has Platinum status with Hyatt, so as we packed up I called their hotline to see if they could resolve this for me. As usual, the hotline provided exceptional service and was able to connect with the GM who authorized a refund for our unused night. I find it a bit peculiar that the hotline was able to reach the GM but his own staff could not reach him.

We left and received a phone call from the hotel later that day confirming our phone number and email address because the GM wanted to reach out to us by Monday (two data later). It became clear to us at that moment that here lies the issues with this hotel. The GM is not interested in reaching out to disgruntled guests who leave the property before the end of their stay, until it is convenient to him. And that's exactly what happened. We never heard from the GM, even to this writing half way through the following Monday. This property is extremely mismanaged and I highly recommend you pay a few extra dollars and stay at the hotel we moved to (Drury Inn Galleria) which surprisingly was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lebanon
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was our first time staying in Houston, TX. We wanted to visit Houston a few days before we headed for our cruise ship. We thought that for the price staying at this hotel sounded wonderful. We contacted the hotel from the airport. They were having shuttle issues so David asked us to take a taxi and the hotel would cover the cost. David was waiting at the door when we arrived to cover all costs of the ride, great job David!!!! First impressions are very important and you got a big 10 plus in our eyes The room was lovely and the customer service was great. My husband is a big breakfast person, you know the type; eggs, bacon, biscuit and gravy, potatoes, etc. Breakfast at the hotel was fine, not wonderful, but for the price pretty good ... Breakfast consisted of: cereal, yogurt, bagels, cream cheese or peanut butter, canned fruit. They rotated a selection of daily pancakes, waffles, french toast, plus a type of egg dish similar to eggs Florentine. Eggs and spinach on toast with a slice of cheese, or eggs and a slice of ham with cheese on toast. Note: the eggs are cooked over hard. They also had juice and milk, plus coffee and tea. Can you really ask for more selections. The hotel is located outside of downtown Houston, in a business district. Even though their shuttle service is willing to drive you to any location within 5 miles of the hotel, we really needed to rent a vehicle to go any place of interest. We spent one day downtown, ate at the Spaghetti Warehouse, great food, then off to the Houston Aquarium. About a 30 minute trip when traffic was not heavy, great day! Day two we spent in Old Town Spring, Spring Texas, just about 20 minute drive from the hotel. Great little town with all types of shops. If I was to return to this hotel, I would rent a car due to the location of the hotel. Plus have a good GPS system. This is a great hotel for a business trip ... outside of downtown.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple